Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed vs. Sauer 100 Atacama, in 6.5 PRC

I would also look at the christensen arms mesa, about the same price range....
I baught one, it shot a .668 group with factory hornady ammo.. I just started developing a round for it, hoping to get under a .5 group.. Good luck!

Thanks for the info guys. Something I didn't realize before is that Browning has metric thread pattern, ugh, that kinda sucks because I was wanting to twist a suppressor onto it. Makes me lean back towards the Sauer in spite of a lot of features that I prefer on the Browning. If anyone has any firsthand experience with accuracy of either of these rifles I'd be interested to hear that.

As I understand it:

The Hells Canyon Speed is a thin barrel, with metric threads and a brake with no thread protector.

The Hells Canyon Long Range is a thicker barrel, with standard 5/8x24 threads that allow you to directly thread on a common 30 cal suppressor. They come with a brake and a thread protector.

The Hells Canyon SR is a limited production model with a thin barrel that flares to a thicker portion at the muzzle with 5/8x24 threads, a brake and thread protector.

So if you want to shoot suppressed, I'd look at the other two models vs the "Speed" models.

Are there adapters that allow you to use a suppressor with the "Speed" models? I don't know.

I own both a Hells Canyon Long Range in .300WSM and a Hells Canyon SR in 6.5 Creedmoor. Shoot both suppressed with .30 caliber suppressors.

Hope that information is helpful to you.

I love X bolts in the $1000 or less price point...they are accurate enough for me (I don't really hunt at really long range), I like the models, the 60 degree throw, etc. I do wish the triggers were a bit lighter. I put an MCarbo spring in one and wasn't really convinced it made a huge difference. Might need more testing.

Timney Triggers makes one for X-Bolts. I'm thinking of putting one in my 6.5 PRC X-Bolt Pro after I get some more range time in on it.

I had a Timney Trigger in my former Ruger American Predator and it made a definite difference in shrinking my groups. No more pulled fliers from a mediocre trigger.

Eric B.
BTW, Dentite is correct, the X-Bolt MAX LONG RANGE is the best bet. Tom Beckstrand wrote an in-depth article on it in "issue 2" of Guns & Ammo's "Precision Rifle Shooter" magazine. Remember any X-Bolt Pro has a stainless barreled action and factory barrel lapping plus a radial brake and, if you don't like brakes, a thread cap. Both protect the muzzle when cleaning, whether with rod or coated cable.

Last edited:
I purchased 2 Browning X Bolts in 6.5 PRC This October.
1 is the Hell's Canyon Speed the other is the Pro Longe Range
Both shoot 1/2 Moa groups with hornady 143 ELD X
Wife with the Hells Canyon Speed drop a Nice Buck at 312 yards DRT
The Pro Longe Range 2 days later dropped a nice 4x5 whitetail at 408 also DRT
3rd pic is looking back to the Barn where I was for the shot
Buck 1.jpg
Buck 2.jpg
Buck 3.jpg
Buck 4.jpg

Just a thought-just the way I see things: Cheaper than dirt has a savage axis in 270 Winchester for $309.60. Sell the brand new barrel for whatever you can get for it. Buy a top-quality barrel for $400 to $600; and you're still under $1000. It's a savage. Change the barrel yourself. I would much rather trust regular action quality barrel then To trust a regular action with a regular barrel. I'm no gun Smith. With that being said I suspect the barrel is the number one contributor to accuracy. Again I'm no expert but if I was going to spend $1000 on the rifle; I would tend towards doing it this way.

For a sub 7# carry gun, I don't think you could go wrong with either. I wouldn't worry about barrel threading. Hard to believe that people can shoot good without a can or a brake but they have been for years. Go for fit and comfort in a carry gun, no second guessing there.

1) Don't X-Bolts come with a thread protector? <SNIPPED STUFF>

From looking at the link the OP included for the rifle he was considering, the picture shows a muzzle-brake.
Looking at purchasing a new 6.5 PRC, after a bit of research, my top contenders are a Browning Hells X-Bold Hells Canyon Speed and a Sauer 100 Atacama. <SNIPPED STUFF> Here are the specific rifles I am looking at:
https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...fle-65-prc/p/1528870#smw_turnto_reviews_title
<SNIPPED STUFF>
Here is the picture:
upload_2019-12-4_18-4-10.png

Check out the moss berg predator. My dad picked one up for $389 a month ago. He's only shot it out to 200 yards so far but easily sub moa. I'm no mossberg fan, but that's a pretty sweet rifle. I'd take that anyday over the browning. I never held a Mauser but have heard many good things. I also agree with an above post in chang8ng the barrel. I used to adore browning, than started shooting other rifles and never looked back.