Browning X bolt 25-06 accuracy problems

Got the confirmation load results from the OCW test that I did. 53.2 grains of IMR 4831 under the Accubonds looks like the winner.

IMG_7844.jpg

Next outing will be velocity and distance (300 yrd).

I'm having the same problem, glad to see you've got yours figured out HANDLDR, going to switch brass for my next trip to the range and hope my problem goes away like yours did!

I bought a new 25-06 X-Bolt last fall, put a Leupold 3-9x VX-3 on it, and have spent a lot of money on powder and brass trying to get the thing to group, and haven't been able to get anything under 1.5" @ 100yds, with some groups up to 4". I've also used Hornady brass since the start, and the gun has always been properly cleaned and cared for. Tried 120gr Speer Grand Slams, 117gr Hornady BTSP, and 110gr Interbonds, with IMR4831 and H4831, all with no success. I bought this gun because I was so impressed my first X Bolt (300WSM) that will punch out clover leafs all day long, but have been very frustrated trying to get the 25-06 to shoot.

I'm pretty new to reloading... is there a way to correct neck tension problems, or are the cases basically garbage?

Anneal and neck turn the cases then sort cases by h2o capacity. It's a lot of work but I bet your groups shrink.

Nevermind. Went out the last few days for further confirmation of my load and even though it shot the best group ever (1" @ 200yrds) out of the rifle but experienced high pressure signs at 53.2. Ejector marks, cratered primer and bolt stick. Dropped the charge down to 52.2 and the bolt was still heavy but no mark and primer was ok. Back to another OCW test run with once fired neck sized brass.

Well, I watched some youtube videos and managed to anneal my Hornady cases, then sorted by neck wall thickness. I picked up some 120gr Partitions and a bottle of Retumbo and loaded up 5 groups of 3 rounds for a quick test, 53.5-57.5gr, using WLR primers. Needless to say, my final grouping at 57.5gr (Nosler max load) was more in line of what I expected from this rifle, and a huge improvement on the 2"+ groups I had been getting previously. Thanks for the advice on what may have been causing my problems, I was starting to pull my hair out trying to get decent groups. Look out Mulies, here I come!

zOiNovz.png

zOiNovz

Thanks again for the tips guys! I wouldn't have trusted this rifle for hunting before I came here and tried annealing my cases. What a relief to finally get this thing shooting properly after such an investment and a lot of time and ammo. Got this guy this fall at 230yds using the 120gr partition and 57.5gr Retumbo load mentioned above, dropped him in his tracks through both shoulders and lungs. New favourite gun!

PWKGMKl.jpg

UCmMNF0.jpg

Nice buck and nice groups. Good to see you got her shootin.

So, you thinking about punching the chamber out to .25-06 AI next? :D

I love mine. Hopefully I'll drop a deer with mine this year. I never got it back from the smith till after deer season was over this past season.

free float the forend bed the stock and consider 4831, re22, 7828. Anything slower is to slow. Might even try a mag primer with those powders. Ive seen guns that group size was cut in half just going with a mag primer but ive seen others that doubled in size doing the same. Forget the accubonds and the partitions. they shoot well in some guns but others refuse to shoot them. Stick with some 100 grain and 115/120 ballistic tips and some 100 and 117 sierra prohunters. Ive found that if a 2506 wont shoot with a combo of those bullets and powders you might as well start walking to the gunshop to trade it.

If a 25-06 will not shoot with IMR 4350 or H4831 with 117 Sierra Pro Hunter flat base bullets and yes try a mag primer, mine likes 49 grs IMR 4350 with CCI 250, help it find another home. :D

Hi,

I'm Matt & I'm new to the group. I joined lrh because I've also been chasing my 25/06 x bolt. First off I don't handload & that's why I own a 25/06 now. My x bolt is a 24" stainless stalker & I started out shooting 117 gr sst Hornady. My initial testing had me sick as I traded a weatherby accumark 270 weatherby mag for this thing that was cutting holes @ 200 yards. Once I had the 25/06 on paper I setup for a 200 yard zero 2.75" was the best group. I wanted to throw the gun in the river. The dealer gave me some fusion 120 gr to try & that was worse. All I've been able to find on the shelf here is the Hornady or fusion. So I stuck w/the Hornady & I've got the group down but still not were it should be. I use the Hornady 165 gr sst in my 30/06 w/a 22" a-bolt ll & it cuts holes @ 200. Also use the sst in a 154 gr in my Remington 700 7 mag w/the same results. I'm considering trying either the 90 gr Hornady gmx or Barnes 100 TTSX BT in hopes that the Browning 1/10 doesn't like these heavier factory loads. Any suggestions? I do plan to be setup for reloading w/the next couple months though but I'm totally green on this.

It has been a while since I've been here and I've come across an interesting theory called optimal barrel time (OBT) since the last login. Holy crap its spot on. I've changed my 25/06 load to match a node and shot a four shot bug hole at 100 yards. checked all my other loads and got them to shoot clovers and bug holes. Slowest powder possible that fills the case the most works really well.

There is something to it- if you have QL, you owe it to yourself to compare the estimates with the OBT table and theory.

http://www.the-long-family.com/OBT%20Table.pdf
http://www.the-long-family.com/

R25, Lapua converted cases, Fed 215, 100 yards, coal 2.180 110 gr accubond, 2993 fps

IMG_8872.jpg

I'm using almost a compressed load of IMR 7828 SSC in my .25-06 AI with 115 Bergers, and it is HAULIN! It's shooting bugholes, and is REALLY close to max pressure and my barrel life is going to be short... But **** does it shoot. LOL

Matt, I had also tried factory 117gr Hornady SSTs and the Fusions with the same results you got. I also tried a box of the Winchester CT Accubonds, however I suspected that I'd have issues as soon as I opened the box and noticed copper shavings around the necks of some of the bullets, so no surprise when those didn't group well either. I had a few boxes of cheap Remington 100gr Core-lokt that shot fairly well, but are a little on the light side for mule deer. I'd suggest trying to order some other brand or weight of bullets if you can't get them locally and aren't set up to hand load.

Once I started hand-loading and got the neck tension problems sorted out with my brass (thanks to this thread), my rifle is shooting sub-MOA groups with 110, 117, and 120 grain bullets. Hope you find some factory ammo that your gun likes, and let us know what it is if you do!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.