Brake kleen for carbon?

Carburetor cleaner made for carbon removal.
Actually, its varnish that gunks up carbs. Not to say that carb cleaner would not work, but just saying. Heads, valves tend to carbon up. Gear heads tend to clean that stuff with grinders and abrasives.

Hard carbon is well, pretty hard. I have difficulty thinking brake cleaner or carb cleaner will touch it. And I use both on other applications regularly. Brake cleaner is mostly a very efficient degreaser as that is the LAST think you want hanging around your brakes. Carb cleaner as noted tries to melt varnish, which is what dried out stale gasoline can leave behind, plugging little passages. It also basically blows out debris from said passages if you are lucky.....

Be careful with brake Kleen if you have plastics in your gun. It was a long time ago, but my dads nephew convinced him to use brake clean on guns. He melted the plastic in a marlin model 60 and turned my favorite 22lr into a 22cal stick.

It may not be a problem anymore, but something to think about.

Be careful with brake Kleen if you have plastics in your gun. It was a long time ago, but my dads nephew convinced him to use brake clean on guns. He melted the plastic in a marlin model 60 and turned my favorite 22lr into a 22cal stick.

It may not be a problem anymore, but something to think about.
still a problem. Be careful with those products.

Actually, its varnish that gunks up carbs. Not to say that carb cleaner would not work, but just saying. Heads, valves tend to carbon up. Gear heads tend to clean that stuff with grinders and abrasives.

Hard carbon is well, pretty hard. I have difficulty thinking brake cleaner or carb cleaner will touch it. And I use both on other applications regularly. Brake cleaner is mostly a very efficient degreaser as that is the LAST think you want hanging around your brakes. Carb cleaner as noted tries to melt varnish, which is what dried out stale gasoline can leave behind, plugging little passages. It also basically blows out debris from said passages if you are lucky.....
Have you ever did a fuel injection flush ? Tapping into the fuel rail. The smell of ammonia is strong during the process. And if you watch the tailpipe you can see the deposits expel. I used to do them at Toyota. Not sure if they still do it these days though.
Vinegar is another cleaner for certain usages. it eats rust. It's harsh if used straight. And mix it with baking soda it's a good drain cleaner. It does have a chemical reaction. Like a small volcano that kids build.
I would not be surprised to find Kroil has Kerosene in it. I believe type F trans fluid also has some amount of kerosene.

Last edited:

Retarded timing or to much overlap on a cam can cause a lot of reversion which will carbon up the carburetor, the black soot on the carb bores, fuel injection is even worse about carbon because there isn't any wet flow of fuel cleaning the intake and throttle body. Carburetor cleaner does a real good job of cleaning the carbon build up don't see why it wouldn't work for barrels.

Recent Posts