Carbon cleaner?

I've been using Sea Foam for about two years. I used it to clean a carbon ring out in my 6.5-284 Norma, with lots of elbow grease. After that ordeal, I started include it as part of my regular cleaning routine. Ring has not returned, yet.
Just picked up a bottle of Break Free CAC Carbon Cutter. Thought I'd give it a try, so can't say what it will/won't do.

Sea Foam contains Namphta and I've been using it as a gas additive for years to keep things clean in car and motorcycle engine fuel systems...including carboned valves. Little known is that Coleman Camp Stove fuel is also a Namphta product. It just doesn't have any of the magic ingredients of Sea Foam, but does very well when used as a cleaning agent. I venture to say that it would work on carbon rings as well....

I picked up some simple green to try on on of my neglected big muzzle brakes. I was surprised it worked. Sprayed it on and let it sit for 5 min and went over with Qtips. Repeated 3 times and it was spotless with almost no effort. Most products seem to work well as long as it is soaked for 5 to 10 min. Hoppes No. 9 is what i have on the shelf at the moment.

I have been using M Pro 7 with a nylon bore brush, followed with Tetra copper solvent, then another round of M Pro 7 to clean up.

Butch's or Montana Extreme for heavy copper. Anything with ammonia does a number on copper - but do not let it sit in the barrel too long. My cleaning process is: several passes with nylon brush and Hoppe's #9 to get most of carbon out. Then one pass with patch Butch's/Montana for copper. let it sit for 15 min or so. Finally use wipe out and let it sit for an hour. If still seeing blue, will repeat wipe out. Always a dry patch in between cleaning solutions.

I use kroil but I would say anything that works for cleaning carbon in the automotive world would work for guns as long as it don't have chemicals that could damage the barrel.

I just had a carbon ring in my 6.5 PRC that two 24 hr soaks with wipeout followed by two hours of soak/scrub(nylon brush) with wipe boretech eliminator after each application of wipeout would not remove. I even tried jb bore paste with no luck. I ordered some C4 and the ring was gone in one ten minute soak and a few seconds with a nylon brush. It was difficult to see with the Lyman bore scope. The Teslong bore scope is a game changer for those who don't have the money for a Hawkeye. To be honest I am not sure how much better it would be. The Teslong displays a very good picture of what is going on in your barrel.
I bought the teslong a couple months ago. Best/worst thing I ever did! Now when I'm doing load development and I want to make sure I have all the copper out, I can actually get it all out. I need to learn to keep it out of some of my factory bores though!
C4 works awesome for tough carbon. Eliminator for normal cleaning. KG12 for really bad copper.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.