Case cleaner

For kicks and grins and because I was bored, I took pins and brass and water and some dawn and Lemi-Shine and threw it all into a bowl tumbler, screwed on the top and cranked it up.

As follows:

Made a hell of a racket....:)
Looked like a Jacuzzi with bubble bath thrown in......:)
Made a mess on my workbench.......:)
Leaked all over the vibrating drive mechanism........:)
Was wicked to clean up......:)
Didn't do squat for the brass.......:)

In summation, use a rotary rock tumbler (like a Thumlers but any rotary will do), even a home brew one from a 5 gallon bucket with a good lid..... or....

Throw the brass, pins and solution in a 5 gallon bucket with a good lid and toss it in the back of your Jeep and do some serious offroading.lightbulb

A few questions about SS:
Does SS media get the inside of the case and is that even necessary?
Does it leave a film that needs to be wiped off?
Does the media get stuck in the flash hole?

A few questions about SS:
Does SS media get the inside of the case and is that even necessary?
Does it leave a film that needs to be wiped off?
Does the media get stuck in the flash hole?

Yes it gets inside the case and will leave the interior walls as shiny as the exterior.

No film to be wiped off, I just rinse mine under running water and blow off with compressed air then I let them dry.

A few pins will get stuck in the neck or flash hole, but it's way less than 1%, only a couple per batch......it's not an issue.

Yes it gets inside the case and will leave the interior walls as shiny as the exterior.

No film to be wiped off, I just rinse mine under running water and blow off with compressed air then I let them dry.

A few pins will get stuck in the neck or flash hole, but it's way less than 1%, only a couple per batch......it's not an issue.

Thanks for the reply. Do you use a normal tumbler and can you recommend a type of SS media?

Actually, the best (and least expensive) option on the food dehydrator, is use the one your wife has already or buy her one for Christmas. You kill 2 birds with one stone. You get her a present that she keeps in the kitchen and you get to use it too.

The best pricing on a dehydrator is Amazon.com. I bought me wife (and me) one with enough capacity to handle 500- 308 cases at once for 59 bucks on Amazon and paid no tax either. She does the dried fruit and I do the brass.

Everyone is happy, including me.

BTW, Midway has the best prices on Thumlers tumblers and the pins are alll over Flea-Bay in various weights per bag.

I realize STI has a package deal but it pays to shop. More funds for components.

The dehydrator from STI is 49.00 and holds 400-500 cases. Just did 85 30/05 cases on one tray and that same dehydrator on Amazon is 59.00, I checked.

P.S. I don't get my wife something for me to use. Mine is mine and hers is hers nor do I butter her up to buy what I want. I make the money and I spend the money. If she has a problem with that then she can leave.

I do things on a smaller scale, just 50 7mm-08 cases at a time. The Harbor Freight tumbler, SS pins, a few drops of dish soap and lemon juice does the trick. I pick the cases out of the drums, shake off the water and SS pins and drop on a baking sheet. In the oven at the lowest setting for 20 minutes and we're good to go.

Dual Drum Rotary Rock Tumbler

With some light gage angle ironj, 4 plastic insert bearings, 2 pulleys, a small fan motor, a large o ring and some 1/4" bar stock (for axles) you can build a tumbler that will put any Thumler's to shame in an afternoon.

Everything is available at TSC except the motor. You use a 5 gallon bucket with the wire handle removed. TSC has the buckets too. It has to have a lid thats water sealed (sponge ring). A 5 gallon pail will tumble enough brass in one session for all year.

You can get a motor ar WWGrainger or dumpster diving, whatever you prefer.

If you go the bucket route, get 2 bags of pins. It takes a bunch of pins (and brass) to make a dent in a 5 gallon bucket.

Thats how rock polishers do it when they are cheap.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.