Carbon ring

Something like this (but longer), easy enough to make with a stamping of crocogated end and hardened. Handle added or leave shaft small enough for chucking up in a drill. But since there could rarely be a precise fitting in the myriad of chamber neck diameters per cal, I would want it hand used, to feel the ring and work on it a quadrant at a time.
CR Remover.jpg

Last edited:
Keep it simple. Loose, work it by hand/feel.
A nice sharp end would be ideal. NO SIDE CUTTING POTENTIAL.
If someone here has machining resources and could make one per cal (a kit), I'd get in line to buy if reasonable.

Try soaking a patch in clr and jamming it into the carbon ring and leaving over night, then push through the next morning followed by a few more swabs then if not getting results go to the brush chucked up in a drill, followed by more swabs

I've got a relatively new 7 WSM Bartlein barrel on a custom action. The barrel has about 500 rounds on it and has been cleaned regularly. It was never shot hot. The barrel is loosing accuracy fast and nothing seems to help. I took a look through the bore scope and found a jet black carbon ring at the end of the chamber.

I took a bore mop and soaked it with Bore Tech carbon remover and left it sitting against the ring for two days. I refreshed the carbon solvent several times. The ring appeared unchanged. I put a bronze brush on a short rod and tried to spin some of the carbon off thinking that it was probably soft after the soaking. Oddly enough, the black rings still looks about the same.

Any suggestions?
Mine may not have been as bad as your's but I did what you did, using Hoppes #9 & rotating a bronze brush after a good soaking.

Check with the smith that chambered your barrel and see if he/her still has the chamber reamer used on your barrel. That will take all the carbon out.