Brake kleen for carbon?

Be careful with brake Kleen if you have plastics in your gun. It was a long time ago, but my dads nephew convinced him to use brake clean on guns. He melted the plastic in a marlin model 60 and turned my favorite 22lr into a 22cal stick.

It may not be a problem anymore, but something to think about.
Some of the cfc free brake cleaners are less harsh on plastics and I believe some of the gun cleaning companies offer a similar "plastic safe" solvent in an aerosol form. But always best to test carefully.

SharpShoot-R PATCH-OUT and SharpShoot-R Accelerator. Some claim that CLR (found in the grocery store cleaning department) works but I haven't tried it. Carb-out https://sharpshootr.com/carb-out/ is also supposed to be real good.

• Swab through the barrel and let set to dissolve all types of fouling
  • Color indicators show fouling type (Metal fouling is navy blue, Powder fouling is grey or black, Carbon is tan or brown.)
  • The most effective product on the market. Used by competitive shooters, gunsmiths, law enforcement and countless others in the firearm industry.

Anyone use this to get carbon out of your barrels?
If I run my AR rifles really dirty, i use this first to get rid of the majority of crud. I use it specifically for shooting it down the gas tube and gas block on my AR rifles. Then I shoot a squirt of action cleaner through it followed by blowing out the excess with the compressor. Works well and makes a quick cleanup job. Been doing this for years.

I religiously clean my rifles and never go past 50 rounds without doing so. I've used Bore Tech products and Patch-Out with Accelerator as directed for some time and I can tell you they do not really clean a barrel. Those nice white patches that come out the end are not the indicator of a clean barrel I always thought them to be. I have started using Thorro-Clean and Thorro-Flush that was developed by Bullet Central and cleaning to nearly bare metal each time. After cleaning I short stroke a patch with Lock Ease down the barrel and this seems to keep that first shot after cleaning going where it should........No foulers required. I've heard all my life how overcleaning is bad for barrels but I have to call BS on that now. I have 481 rounds down this barrel and here are the first three shots after cleaning yesterday.......

tempImagebQA18o.png

I religiously clean my rifles and never go past 50 rounds without doing so. I've used Bore Tech products and Patch-Out with Accelerator as directed for some time and I can tell you they do not really clean a barrel. Those nice white patches that come out the end are not the indicator of a clean barrel I always thought them to be. I have started using Thorro-Clean and Thorro-Flush that was developed by Bullet Central and cleaning to nearly bare metal each time. After cleaning I short stroke a patch with Lock Ease down the barrel and this seems to keep that first shot after cleaning going where it should........No foulers required. I've heard all my life how overcleaning is bad for barrels but I have to call BS on that now. I have 481 rounds down this barrel and here are the first three shots after cleaning yesterday.......

View attachment 471339
Gotta try that!

TM bore solution does a great job on carbon and copper. Just let it soak a few minutes.I also mixed 10% TM by volume in with KG-1 and it does a good job also. TM is a plastic solvent and turns carbon to mush. Hasnt harmed any of my match barrels

Some of the cfc free brake cleaners are less harsh on plastics and I believe some of the gun cleaning companies offer a similar "plastic safe" solvent in an aerosol form. But always best to test carefully.
Speaking of refrigerant (cfc's), I was at the local construction resale place, "Habitat Restore". They have a "free" bin. Cheap bastige that I am, I always look. Lo and behold, there's six cans of methyl chloride spray, an awesome degreaser/cleaner & spot freeze.
I've always used toluene or kerosene for carbon. Based on a recent thread, I started using simple green, but haven't tested it on nasty carbon build-up.
I know from experience, cleaning soot and baked on carbon, a lye solution works wonders.

You all need to use Carb Out, made by SharpShooter. It is the only product that will soften and remove, even hard carbon. Iosso and other abrasives will work, but you are also abrading the un-carboned areas of your barrel. If you want to try it, contact me at [email protected] and I can sell you a bottle.

The other thing that will remove hard carbon in minutes, is a weapon steam cleaner. But for that, I remove my barreled action from my stock, due to the extreme heat. This process is a complete, deep clean of the barrel. I also have one of these units.

Recent Posts