Carbon Removal

I started using foam bore cleaner after I started collecting milsurp rifles with frosted and pitted bores from corrosive primers. A rough bore will eat copper bore brushes and give you a false copper reading.

I normally give my rifles one shot of foam bore cleaner and call it good enough. This greatly reduces cleaning rod usage and chances of damage to the barrel. And yes I have bore guides, spare the rod and spoil the bore. ;)

All my rifles are off the shelf factory rifles and I do not have any custom made barrels.

Below a bore scope image of a brand new buttoned rifled Savage barrel.

GpTCke2.jpg

Below a custom made hand lapped barrel.

S82Lb6S.jpg

Last edited:
I started using foam bore cleaner after I started collecting milsurp rifles with frosted and pitted bores from corrosive primers. A rough bore will eat copper bore brushes and give you a false copper reading.

I normally give my rifles one shot of foam bore cleaner and call it good enough. This greatly reduces cleaning rod usage and chances of damage to the barrel. And yes I have bore guides, spare the rod and spoil the bore. ;)

All my rifles are off the shelf factory rifles and I do not have any custom made barrels.

GpTCke2.jpg

S82Lb6S.jpg

I am amazed by the picture of the Savage barrel. I had no idea the button rifling button left that type of surface. It seems that would cause all types of fouling, and result in poor accuracy, but most of the Savage rifles I have shot had excellent accuracy. Thanks for the pics

GpTCke2.jpg

S82Lb6S.jpg

How did the Savage shoot ? (None of my SIX Savage bbls look like that)

I am amazed by the picture of the Savage barrel. I had no idea the button rifling button left that type of surface. It seems that would cause all types of fouling, and result in poor accuracy, but most of the Savage rifles I have shot had excellent accuracy. Thanks for the pics

I have two Savage rifles and after I read about fire lapping them below and my experience with milsurp barrels I wonder why I bought new rifles.

JF55dKK.jpg

Last edited:
1. I own a borescope.
2. I own 6 savages
3. None of them look like that

just sayin'
Mine all have the chatter looking tool marks. They all shoot very well, so not a big deal, but had to think about fouling and accuracy a little more. All the custom hand lapped barrels are smooth finishes, like you'd expect.

1. I own a borescope.
2. I own 6 savages
3. None of them look like that

just sayin'

The pictures I posted of button rifled Savage barrels speak for themselves.
new savage 11, rough looking barrel

Below is a button rifled Contender barrel.

1588775595778.png

And below the Savage barrel from the link I posted above.

1588775780148.png

"The world waits", do they shoot ?

The vast majoriry of Savage rifles shoot very well, "BUT" the rail road tracks in the barrel can pickup copper.

You can fire lap the barrel, you can scrub the heck out of it with J&B Bore paste or just shoot heck out of it and break it in that way.

And my point is with rough factory barrels and old milsurp barrels I have very good luck with foam bore cleaners. Because in a rough barrel the copper bore brush it will drive you nuts with false copper readings.

If you have a custom made hand lapped barrel it would be a different story. Meaning less is more when scrubbing factory barrels because they can be very rough. And why one shot of foam bore cleaner is good enough for me. The first time you pull the trigger again on one of these barrels they just load up with copper again.

In the old time stories about hunting in Africa they would just pour boiling water down the bore, This got rid of the primer salts and carbon and then they just ran a oiled patch down the bore.

You people are confusing me. I have a New custom rifle with a custom Barrel which I would like to use for a very long time and NOT damage the Barrel while enjoying Hunting and Shooting. Brush or no Brush? Foam or Liquid Chemicals, or just Hoppe's #9? Can there be any real clarification?
If you have a custom barrel remember to look on your barrel manufacturer's website. They have great write ups on break-in and cleaning. They also have customer service lines where you can ask about specific problems.

Outers Bore Foam seems to work well for me. But for AR15's I just use Hoppes or Kroil.

I'm betting grandpappy used this stuff. That is some strong stuff. My old man used it in his 03 and the bore still shines after over 2,000 rounds. May need to check eBay and pick some up.

E7C9F148-893F-497B-A7B4-62DF0EDCF9E5.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.