BOTW Divorces Berger & Marries Nosler

These guys are going to be some bummed out hosers when those BC's come out about .150 lower than they expected, and the Bergers and A-Maxes still rock.

Sounds like they've been chugging Kool-Aid pretty steadily. Oh well.....their loss.

It was an exaggeration, but I've no doubt these LR ABs will prove to be fairly disappointing in the BC department.

These guys are going to be some bummed out hosers when those BC's come out about .150 lower than they expected, and the Bergers and A-Maxes still rock.

Sounds like they've been chugging Kool-Aid pretty steadily. Oh well.....their loss.

I wouldnt make too many claims before you know the facts either. the accubond has a real chance of making it even bigger than they already are

It was an exaggeration, but I've no doubt these LR ABs will prove to be fairly disappointing in the BC department.

I don't know what could be so disappointing about them. Even if they are off by .10 on their G1 BC (14%), it would still be right at the level of the 210 VLD. And I'm guessing that Nosler isn't going to be off by 14% on their estimation.

You guys are right, my exaggerations were unnecessary, and hey, I'd be all about the LR Accubond IF the BC's could hold up.... Hell, I'd buy another 270 WSM to shoot the 150s.

But, I'm just not sure I'd leave a proven .630 BC in the 210 VLD, for something that may or may not best it, and is completely unproven on game. I'm sure there are some internal factors fueling their switch, but it'd be hard for me to leave behind a track record like Berger for a hit or miss (no pun intended) bullet that's not even been tested extensively yet.

When it's all said and done, the guys at BOTW shoot more critters at long range than I do, so it'll be interesting to see what comes of their using of these bullets.

Myself, I will personally keep buying the 162 A-Maxes at $25/100, and reaping the love of a .625 BC at 3,000fps with manageable, unbraked recoil from a 9lb rifle.

I shoot Accubonds and Berger VLD's.....And I've never watched that show. So, in all honesty, I could care less what bullets someone else is using. If everyone quite using Bergers, that would just mean there would be more for me out there! :D

I don't follow trends.....I go with what works, and what has proven to ME that it works.

You are probably right, but we won't know for sure until we get some people trying them out. But even if they are not exactly as advertised, they should still give Berger a run for their money. It will at least provide hunters with some different terminal options with some very comparable BC's (more than likely). I mean the difference in the 215 hybrid compared to the current 210 accubond isn't that significant. If you push both 3,000fps, you are talking about a difference of 2 MOA of drop at 1,000 yards and 6" more wind drift with a 5mph wind. All in all, I'm guessing that this closes that gap and maybe flips it in Nosler's direction, but in the end it is not going to be as significant as people make it sound.

By the way, if you run the numbers on the published BC's of the 210 LR Accubond compared to the 215 hybrid, you are talking a difference of .3 MOA of drop and .7" of wind drift (5mph) at 1,000 yards (the Accubond would have the advantage). Why is it so hard to believe that this is possible?

True, if you run the numbers there isn't a whole lot of difference but most people just look at the published BC # and go with it. What Nosler is doing is telling the world that their bullets have higher BC's than Bergers and IMO it's deceptive, cutthroat marketing.

Nosler is advertising that their bullet which weighs less and is shorter and has a less aerodynamic form factor has a higher BC than the Berger. Sorry, but that's just not physically possible so I am throwing the BS flag and I will avoid anyone who is trying to BS me and make a profit from it... just the way I am.

Wouldn't there be just as much negativity if people find out their advertised BC's are way off? To me it seems like that marketing could easily backfire if they did that, so I don't necessarily believe it is just a marketing ploy. As far as the physical possiblity of it, who knows what's possible? I'm sure people thought the same thing when Berger's BC's came out.

The bottom line is we will just have to wait and see I guess. I personally hope that the BC's are close to where they are being advertised! That would sure make for a fun bullet and would raise the bar in the long range game. I also hope that the folks at BOTW wouldn't be dumb enough to jump into this without first testing the bullets and I hope Nosler wouldn't be dumb enough to advertise BC's that are way out of line, but who knows!

The last thing I'll say is that even though a hyped up BC may prove to be relatively close to what they advertise, this long range hunting and shooting thing we all love is kind of like golf, it's a game where tiny numbers cause us to obsess and spend stupid amounts of money.

Ounces of rifle weight cost thousands. Good glass costs hundreds, while better glass costs thousands. We will debate between thousands of inches concerning bullet diameters for days, and we will obsess over getting our 1" groups down to under .5". Does it all matter? For most, yes. So, say that a bullet advertised at a .730 G1 BC ends up shooting closer to .6 G1 (again, all in theory). This is still a GREAT BC, and will surely make some very happy. However, for the guy that bought them thinking he'd be shooting a .730, it makes a big difference (not to mention it makes a pretty dang big difference in the wind). I guess it all comes down to what it's worth to you as a shooter.

If I bought a lightweight rifle that the MFG spec'd out at 6 pounds bare, and it showed up weighing 6 3/4 pounds, I'd be ****ed. But that's just me.

Again, I'm very interested to see how they shake out. I'd love it if their estimated BC's were correct.

I'll speculate a little bit. First is I'm confident the bc's are over promised , second is they will not perform well at 1300 fps and will not open much at that speed , third is that they are bonded core bullets and the accuracy lot to lot will vary a lot. Fourth is that they will get away with their marketing bs and sell a bunch of bullets. Fith is that BOTW will tell you they are shooting whatever they get paid to say they are shooting and they will actually shoot what works and you will never know.

I'll speculate a little bit. First is I'm confident the bc's are over promised , second is they will not perform well at 1300 fps and will not open much at that speed , third is that they are bonded core bullets and the accuracy lot to lot will vary a lot. Fourth is that they will get away with their marketing bs and sell a bunch of bullets. Fith is that BOTW will tell you they are shooting whatever they get paid to say they are shooting and they will actually shoot what works and you will never know.

Amen.............lightbulb

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts