berger or nosler

pretex

I have narrowed it down to nosler and berger, but I still cant decide what to choose...

I would like to hear some opiones on which would be the better choise, I will be shooting antilope size and red stag size animals.

Which would have the best on game preformance at 1800 ftp and 1000 ft/lb

Nosler bst 180 gr 30 cal

or

Berger vld 185 gr 30 cal

pls help me out, I cant decide anymore.

Btw my rifle likes them both :)

I like both berger and nosler. Infact, I shoot both. That being said, of the two choices that you have listed I would lean towards the bergers. I love the wind bucking ability of the bergers and they preform well on game also. I think in this case the advantage would go to berger. Both good bullets though. Now if it were the nosler AB, I would throw my hands up and do the whole ini minie miney moe thing.

If you have plenty of magazine length then it is your choice (The Bergers normaly like the
bullets seated close if not touching the lands.) and some mags won't allow them to be
seated long.

If the mag is standard you may have to go with the Accubond or Blistic Tip because of the
shape of the ogive .

I find the Accubonds to be very accurate and they perform extremely well and I don't have
to deal with the COL issue.

This is just my opinion and preference.
J E CUSTOM

Good point JE. I always forget about the mag length. I always just assume that if people are thinking berger, then they have already thought of that.

Thanks for the reply's.

Magazine lenght isn't an problem.

I am looking at the terminal preformance, which bullet offers the better choise

The Ballistic Tip is a bit more fragile than the Accubond. However, I use both. And am pleased with both.

Of the choices you name, I'd go with the Berger offering as I have proven them in tests on flesh and bones. For that matter, I wouldn't hesitate in using a 25-06 w/bergers for either of the animals you mention. A 160 class bullet would be even better.

Given the choices you have listed I would go with the Berger for sure, you will experience less meat damage using the Bergers over the Ballistic tips, and the terminal performance of the Bergers is excellent.

Will berger expand properly on a light skinned coyote size animal?

at 1800 fps and 1000 ft/lb for example?

Pretex, what cartridge are you shooting and which Noslers are you talking about? The Ballestic Tips, Accubonds or E-Tips? I would not recomend the Ballistic Tips for hunting. That's just me.

The Bergers havs an advertised Bc of .549
The AB's have a BC of .507 and the E-tips hacve a BC of .523, so not a whole lot of differenc in BC or wind bucking.

They all expand down to a velocity of about 1800 fps.

The AB's and E-Tips have controlled expansion and the E-Tips retain 100% of their mass. The Bergers are explosive at higher velociteis.

My preference if they all shoot well would be...
1 - E-Tips
2 - ABs
3 - Bergers

Hi montana

That would be 30 cal

180 bst and 185 vld

I know bc is the same, that is why I need some opinions on what to go with.

Yes, I understand it's a 30 cal, but which 30 cal? 300 WM, 300 WSM, 308 Win, etc.?

I assume that bst = ballistic tip and between the Berger and the Ballistic Tip, my personal preference would be the Berger. I think the Bergers are a great long range bullet. I just prefer a bullet that remains in tact and that is why I like the E-Tips and ABs. For a cartridge like the 300 RUM, I would use the E-Tips for short and mid range shooting and a Berger or JLK VLD for long range shots because of their high BC. And I would use the higher wieght VLD for better BC... that is why I asked which cartridge you're shooting. If you are shooting a 300 WM, 300 RUM or 30.06, then I would recommend trying a heavier 210 VLD. The are a couple of benefits from shooting the heavier bullet. First of course is the higher BC which will get you farther down range and it will buck wind better. Next, in the case of the thin jacketed VLD's, your velovities will be lower and you will have more controlled expansions. Hope this helps.

Cheers,

MR

I can't say anything bad about nosler bulletts because i've never shot them however i just had a new barrell put on my 300 rum and i'm in the process of finding a load for it with the 210 grain berger so far all i've done is down load the load data from berger for the 210 i started out a little higher than the lowest load on the chart my first load was 87gr of h-1000 and the next was 88g h-1000. The first 3 shot group i pulled on the first shot the next two shots look like one hole about 7/8 of an inch group the next 3 shot group i had to measure it ,was .484 i know not as small as a lot of folks but i have spent very little time with these bulletts and i already feel they will be very good ( i like the fact that i can hunt with a match bullett ) and if i'm wrong someone say otherwise nosler don't make a match bullett if they do i'll try some of them if i'm going to take a long range shot i want a long range bullett:)

Thanks alot for the reply.

I am shooting a 30.06, forgot to write that last time.

I got a RN bullet for zero to 200 yards.

For 200 to 700 yards I couldnt decide between the vld and bst.

Thanks alot for the reply

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts