Boots for Dall Hunt in NWT

Think I'm going to start by ordering the Crispi Briksdal Pro GTX with 200 insulation for sizing and see how they feel.
Crispi are the only boots I wear. Invest in some Sheepfeet insoles as well. Definitely worth the money.

I run the Briksdals when guiding sheep, but really like the hunters because of how tall they are when crossing creeks.

Good luck out there!

70BEF300-DE5E-47E4-B755-74B37B9F825B.jpeg

In my area, scheels seems to be the best choice for variety of brands and styles in higher end boots. If you find a store that stocks a bunch, at least you can try some on and narrow your choices.

I have the Crispi Briksdal Pro GTX for about 50 days now. Even though stiff they felt broke in from the start. I leave for NWT 8-18 for Dall and caribou. Have 25ish miles so far and they feel great. Will put another 30 plus before hunt.
I also have broken in Crispi Guide GTX and will take them as well and decide at camp, leaning towards the pro for extra support. I also use the basic hoffmans insoles in all my boots and love them for support, comfort, and price!
I have schnees granites, kenetrek mountain extremes, hoffmans explorers, and both the crispis.

I have the Crispi Briksdal Pro GTX for about 50 days now. Even though stiff they felt broke in from the start. I leave for NWT 8-18 for Dall and caribou. Have 25ish miles so far and they feel great. Will put another 30 plus before hunt.
I also have broken in Crispi Guide GTX and will take them as well and decide at camp, leaning towards the pro for extra support. I also use the basic hoffmans insoles in all my boots and love them for support, comfort, and price!
I have schnees granites, kenetrek mountain extremes, hoffmans explorers, and both the crispis.
Good luck on your hunt and please post some pictures.

It would be worth talking to Lathrop & Sons about their fitting program. You'll end up having more invested in trying a bunch of different boots than just committing to their program out the get go. They guarantee to fit you in a boot regardless of how much trial and error it takes them. They usually nail it on the first try too. Customer service and boot quality are the best I've experienced 👌🏽

I actually am hunting with the Extreme 400 currently. Thinking maybe a bit lighter.
I use uninsulated Kenetreks for work and hunting - I'm an old guy with bad feet who ranches …. sorta. Anyway I keep thinking about something lighter, but when I look at weights on the quality boots it is just a few ounces different. Haven't done a sheep hunt, but been in some fairly rough country hunting elk…

You can pack like that light weight Kuiu.I have over late season elk -25,but I have puffy on under my guide layer.I also run several types of mountaineer boots.Asolo GV,La Sportive,and Scarpa Grand. My Cripis my favorite all around and I can do any hunt in them, steep and slick I crampon up with detuned aluminum.Real cold and im in my Kafaru puffy set
Nahanni Butte/NWT Outfitters.
Although a ways off I booked a Dall hunt in the Northwest Territories. I am looking for guidance on boots, particularly insulated and height please.
Although a ways off I booked a Dall hunt in the Northwest Territories. I am looking for guidance on boots, particularly insulated and height please.
I used kennetrek non insulated on all of my sheep hunts they are a little heavier than some others but the support is awesome just have a good selection of socks for change of weather . Good luck have a great time

Think I'm going to start by ordering the Crispi Briksdal Pro GTX with 200 insulation for sizing and see how they feel.
I ordered those ... 2 times, because they run a size smaller than normal.
Midway took them back, no problem.

I,ve had good luck with Danners.
Have several pair.....
I have a lite uninsulated all leather pair for hunting in the rocks.....
Very Good...

I NO LONGER will purchase Danner as their Quality is next to Chinese BS imports...seek other solutions than Danner is my advice

I had been a Danner customer for Decades...for the past 2 pairs of boots (purchased in the last 18 months)... THEY SUCK!!!!! BOTH, different models, have serious problems with leakage and loss of sole tread...My all leather Danners that retail around $200+ were no longer waterproof after three months of MILD use...I even tried using Snow-Seal to try and resolve...but the problem seems to stem from the footbed where you cannot seal. I have the left boot with a tongue that was cut too narrow to fully cover the ankle appropriately, and I am hyper-vigilant in the first months of wearing new boots to ensure EVERY Time I lace-up that the tongue is dead-straight, and I hive narrow ankles so not a fat-ankle issue. The other pair had the soles worn off in a matter of 4-5 months, and never were truly "waterproof" even in below the ankle deep standing water.
Overall, my assessment is Danner has gone CHEAP and when contacting them they don;t offer any solution other than "buy something else"...how's that for customer service. Buit, they are located in PORTLAND, OR so I wouldn't (or shouldn't) expect any less from a town full of commies...

Last edited:
I NO LONGER will purchase Danner as their Quality is next to Chinese BS imports...seek other solutions than Danner is my advice

I had been a Danner customer for Decades...for the past 2 pairs of boots (purchased in the last 18 months)... THEY SUCK!!!!! BOTH, different models, have serious problems with leakage and loss of sole tread...My all leather Danners that retail around $200+ were no longer waterproof after three months of MILD use...I even tried using Snow-Seal to try and resolve...but the problem seems to stem from the footbed where you cannot seal. I have the left boot with a tongue that was cut too narrow to fully cover the ankle appropriately, and I am hyper-vigilant in the first months of wearing new boots to ensure EVERY Time I lace-up that the tongue is dead-straight, and I hive narrow ankles so not a fat-ankle issue. The other pair had the soles worn off in a matter of 4-5 months, and never were truly "waterproof" even in below the ankle deep standing water.
Overall, my assessment is Danner has gone CHEAP and when contacting them they don;t offer any solution other than "buy something else"...how's that for customer service. Buit, they are located in PORTLAND, OR so I wouldn't (or shouldn't) expect any less from a town full of commies...

I'm sorry to hear that. I have 2 pair of Danner's for Whitetail hunting. 400g and 800g. While they have been mostly good, I find the insulation no longer keep my feet warm. Granted last hunt was 15 degrees outside, but even with 800g, I couldn't sit for more than 2 hours.

Every foot has it's own needs and one brand might be great for one person and lousy for another. You need to go try on lots of different brands, sizes, widths, etc. I have really hard to fit feet and I ended up connecting with Lathrop and Sons for my first Dall sheep hunt. They hooked me up with boots that worked well but it was a process.
The NWT is hard on boots. My guide went through a pair of Kenetreks in one month. He said they required no break in but didn't last for him.
But that may happen with other brands as well.
I'd say if you can find a top brand well constructed boot that fits your foot well, go for it. Break it in and test it out before the hunt. Then you are set!
The NWT is incredible and you are in for a real adventure. Best of luck.