Pack for NWT Dall Hunt

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I will reach out to you about the rifle attachment system.

I have used several over the last 12 years.
Griz & BB, I used Barney's External Frame.
MR in BC.
Kuiu Pro 6000 in the NWT.
I enjoyed the Kuiu but when I got home, I immediately purchased the 7800.
Each situation was different of course, but the one thing that stands out, 6000 was not enough for me in the NWT.

Beginning to explore/search for Pack. Looking at 5500-7000 size per outfitter gear list. Any recommendations from those who have worked with this size pack and type hunt would be greatly appreciated.
What is your go-to pack frame? Every company makes an appropriately sized pack that'll fit the frame that fits you.

I have the Sitka pack. Amazing, but I recently tried on the others at the DSC, and they are much lighter.

I went with Kifaru tactical and the dall pack. Loved it.
Also have MR Marshall. Love the pack, belt didn't fit as well as kfaru.
Have the Stone Glacier big one and loved it but it would definitely flex/shift more with heavy load and difficult terrain. Preferred the stiffer Kifaru.

Doing the whole gig. New everything. This is new territory for me.
If you can find a place to try on a few packs, that would be ideal. I really like my stone glacier packs, but I just picked up an exo k4 and I'm very impressed with the simplistic approach and immediate comfort.

I was all set to drop cash on a stone glacier a few years ago after I'd done a few months of research. I had to travel to Bozeman for work so I decided I'd buy it in person after getting my hands on one and also check out accessories.

One of the owners and two employees essentially ignored/dismissed me (my assumption is that I looked too young to be spending big dollars on their stuff and they didn't think I'd result in a sale). I tried a few times to engage them in conversation but they were too busy building their arrows in the back to bother with me. I took my money and left.

Back to the drawing board I started to do more research on several of the brands already mentioned and went with EXO. I live near Boise and preferred to support local (SG was alluring to me because they are lighter). I had an amazing experience with their customer service (every time I've been in there).

I got to go on a friends sheep hunt 2 years ago in the Frank Church, I love my EXO. Prior to this I burned through 2 Kuiu's in 8 years. I liked them but they weren't as rugged. I'm an EXO fan for life, in a few years when my son grows into an adult pack, I'll give him this one and I'll buy another.

Last edited:
I used a Mystery Ranch on my NWT hunt many years ago but it was way too heavy. I then used a Kuiu for a BC backpack Stone sheep hunt and loved the lighter weight of it. The MR pack was sturdier but the extra weight was not fun.

I went on an elk hunt with a bunch of new hunters in October. They all went to Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse and bought high end packs. By the second day, they were all looking to lighten their packs. When I was young, I carried a 5 lb Army surplus pack with a steel frame. It was very comfortable, but also heavy. It was steel, canvas, and leather, and it still only weighed 5 lbs. I can't believer that with modern materials, packs weigh over 5 lbs. What I'm saying, is go as light as you can.

When I backpack in the summer, I carry a 20 oz. pack. It is big enough for a week long trip.

If you bone out your game, there is no need for a frame. The meat conforms to your back, and is comfortable. The comfort issue is solved by carrying your pack for weeks before the hunt. As a kid, with homemade backpacks with no padding on the straps, and no hip belt, I found that after 3 days, it was comfortable. The best way I've found to get in shape for a hunt is to put 45 lbs. in your pack and walk 3 to 5 miles a day with it. After a week or so, you don't feel the straps anymore. I get by with a $20 pack I bought at a gun show. I packed out a cow elk in two trips a few years ago. It was hard on my knees, but not my back or leg muscles.

Recent Posts