Boots for Dall Hunt in NWT

My thoughts and experience as well while I was with Stan Stevens and MMO. I hunted Dall, caribou, and moose at the same time you're going
Try on as many different boots as you can. Thats the only way to do it. Be prepared to order a bunch online and have to ship them back. Having the wrong boots will directly impact your hunt more than anything else. You dont want any blisters. I have had great luck with the crispi boots as well. I have i think 4 different pairs. Youll be in the nwt with the lancasters so your not going to be putting on like 20 miles a day hiking. I wouldnt worry about insulated boots to be honest. When your moving, everything warms up fast. your feet are still going to be sweating like crazy. I bring different thickness wool socks on my hunts and weather them due to conditions. If your in doubt on what to bring, just call Clay and ask him. Hes a great guy! Its a helicopter hunt so you can bring more gear than you would on a backpack sheep hunt also. Buy a caribou tag if you can.... there is less and less opportunities to hunt them

I hunted ARRO last Sept for sheep, caribou, and moose. Since no helicopters here, we did lots of hiking and packing. I used the Crispi Hunter gtx 12" high boots (has 200gr insulation), 4 flex. Was perfect for all the creek crossings, heavy packs, and talus fields.
Came home with all 3 and only saw 1 grizzly this time(which is good). Last time we had to take one out when he wanted my sheep. Enjoy the MacKensies! They are great!

Not a crazy cold weather hunt, but a sheep hunt. I took the crispi Briksdal MTN GTX on a sheep hunt in Idaho in 2023. Offered plenty of comfort and support.

Try on as many different boots as you can. Thats the only way to do it. Be prepared to order a bunch online and have to ship them back. Having the wrong boots will directly impact your hunt more than anything else. You dont want any blisters. I have had great luck with the crispi boots as well. I have i think 4 different pairs. Youll be in the nwt with the lancasters so your not going to be putting on like 20 miles a day hiking. I wouldnt worry about insulated boots to be honest. When your moving, everything warms up fast. your feet are still going to be sweating like crazy. I bring different thickness wool socks on my hunts and weather them due to conditions. If your in doubt on what to bring, just call Clay and ask him. Hes a great guy! Its a helicopter hunt so you can bring more gear than you would on a backpack sheep hunt also. Buy a caribou tag if you can.... there is less and less opportunities to hunt them

Outstanding advice Marky_mark! What fits me well and works great for my feet may kill yours. My go to boot company is Zamberlan, hands down. The heel cup and toe bed are almost made using my dogs as the design template. Not quite, but y'all get the point. They may be equally horrible for others. Another huge plus for me is that Zamberlan's are re-soleable for the life of the boot. Others offer the same. Something to keep in mind while shoppiing.

As posted above, try on and keep trying on until you get something you simply can't take off they fit so well. And for the kinda dough you're laying down on a pair of boots like this, the vendors will spend time on the phone with you helping with which model will be best for your quest.

FWIW and on my feet, Zamberlan's have great ankle support, and the arch is pronounced perfectly for my foot standing still or hiking. Picking the right boots can easily make your trip, choosing the wrong ones and each stride will kick your rear.

Best of luck on the hunt, sounds like a fantastic area and quarry

Don't get hung up on any particular brand. You need to find the boot that fits you the best and have them broken in well.I have hunted with Lancasters several times, and I find you need something with a stiffness rating of 3 or 4 and a high rand.As far as insulted again a personal preference, if your feet run warm maybe not if they are cold maybe so.
Good luck you are hunting with the best in the business

I did a LOT of Treking. mountain climbing and hunting in cooler/cold areas like AK, PA, NY and NewFoundland.
For a boot to be used in an area that has cold temperatures, Wet areas, rough terrain I require several "must have".

1. DO THEY FIT!!!! What socks are you going to wear?
  2. Weight! How much walking. A few Onces can add up to a ton of combined weight over miles.
  3. Water proof!
  4. The insulation has to be compatible with the Temp and how much walking. Too much insulation your feet will get hot and sweat then COLD, also more insulation the bulker the boot and heavier. Not enough insulation your feet will get cold. I like a lighter boot with less insulation and I use "Hot Toes" when posting or better yet GOOD Electronic Socks that can be turned on an off. AND Also electronic boot inserts to keep your feet warm. There are some really GREAT technology items for keeping your feet warm without a lot of bulk insulation
  5. Ankle Support
  6. Arch support
  7. Higher tops 12" to 14".
  8. Boot Thread - Good traction & self cleaning.
  9. I don't really look at the ability to re-manufacture the soles. By the time the soles wear out the rest of the boot is usually wore out unless you use the boots for brakes while riding a motorcycle.
  10. COST - Good boots cost $$$$$