Pack for NWT Dall Hunt

I use the MR Marshall, which is about 6500, as some others mentioned.

It's my do all expedition pack.

For my longer than 5 day pack, I have the stone glacier sky guide which is like 7800 or something. On the xcurve.

The new belts on the MR packs are improved. That was a few years ago. They aren't a solid piece like they use to be. I haven't had any problems on the new design. They handle weight good.

Stone glacier is solid too. They are made similar but the stone is a pound or so lighter, even though it's bigger. Idk how. They both are 500 codura and use ykk zippers. I think the buckles and straps are a little heavier on the MR…but not by almost 2 lbs.

I went on an elk hunt with a bunch of new hunters in October. They all went to Cabela's or Sportsman's Warehouse and bought high end packs. By the second day, they were all looking to lighten their packs. When I was young, I carried a 5 lb Army surplus pack with a steel frame. It was very comfortable, but also heavy. It was steel, canvas, and leather, and it still only weighed 5 lbs. I can't believer that with modern materials, packs weigh over 5 lbs. What I'm saying, is go as light as you can.

When I backpack in the summer, I carry a 20 oz. pack. It is big enough for a week long trip.

If you bone out your game, there is no need for a frame. The meat conforms to your back, and is comfortable. The comfort issue is solved by carrying your pack for weeks before the hunt. As a kid, with homemade backpacks with no padding on the straps, and no hip belt, I found that after 3 days, it was comfortable. The best way I've found to get in shape for a hunt is to put 45 lbs. in your pack and walk 3 to 5 miles a day with it. After a week or so, you don't feel the straps anymore. I get by with a $20 pack I bought at a gun show. I packed out a cow elk in two trips a few years ago. It was hard on my knees, but not my back or leg muscles.
I think you might be tougher than the average bear…

I wish I were that tough, but I'm not. I don't think many people would have the same results as you given the same gear (no frame and no hip belt). It sure sounds good though, I'd love to not spend so much money on a pack, but I've learned already that I need the support. I packed a whole boned-out mule deer once in a large jansport (what I couldn't fit inside I tied to the sides). In total it was about 5-1/2 miles. About half way through I was stopping every 100 yards because of the headache and my arms going numb. Just under my elbows and down to my wrists were tingling for several days. I've had similar, but not quite as bad, experiences with cheap Badlands packs.

I'm 70, so I'm not that tough. I've learned that you don't have to carry the whole thing out in one trip. My deer in October was only a mile, and I still took two trips. The point of practicing walking with a pack is to toughen up. But I don't bow hunt, so the weather is cool enough to leave meat out overnight (except for gemsbok hunting). Just don't store meat in the canyon bottom, put it up on the side of the canyon.

EXO Mountain here. I did a lot a pack shopping and evaluation several years ago and purchased an EXO. That pack got stolen along with a lot of my hunting gear when my truck got stolen on the way to a backcountry elk hunting to MT. Insurance covered most everything, so I had chance to purchase new gear, when through the evaluation process again, bought another EXO.