Pack for NWT Dall Hunt

Takman

Beginning to explore/search for Pack. Looking at 5500-7000 size per outfitter gear list. Any recommendations from those who have worked with this size pack and type hunt would be greatly appreciated.

I've done several of these types of hunts and my go to packs are always Stone Glacier. I've used the Sky Guide and the Terminus (7000) most recently. The terminus is really light and a super pack full of gear/food.

What I like most about the Sky Guide is you can remove the bag from the frame and train in it all spring/summer. I usually load it with square rucking plates for training. After the summer is over and I put the bag back on, it and my body is already adapted to that frame/weight.

The terminus saves weight because it has an internal type frame and doesn't have the load shelf (which I think comes in handy more on elk/deer type game where you're carrying quarters and such).

There's a bunch of guys on here that have probably done this more than me so I'm excited to see what recommendations are out there.

I'm hunting stone sheep this fall and I'm taking the Terminus.

I've done several of these types of hunts and my go to packs are always Stone Glacier. I've used the Sky Guide and the Terminus (7000) most recently. The terminus is really light and a super pack full of gear/food.

What I like most about the Sky Guide is you can remove the bag from the frame and train in it all spring/summer. I usually load it with square rucking plates for training. After the summer is over and I put the bag back on, it and my body is already adapted to that frame/weight.

The terminus saves weight because it has an internal type frame and doesn't have the load shelf (which I think comes in handy more on elk/deer type game where you're carrying quarters and such).

There's a bunch of guys on here that have probably done this more than me so I'm excited to see what recommendations are out there.

I'm hunting stone sheep this fall and I'm taking the Terminus.
Good luck with your Stone Hunt.

Three of us carried Stone Glaciers on my wife's sheep hunt this last fall. That's the way I'd look. Best thing to do is to try on as many as you can to see what fits you and your bod

Three of us carried Stone Glaciers on my wife's sheep hunt this last fall. That's the way I'd look. Best thing to do is to try on as many as you can to see what fits you and your bod
Which model did you use?

I did a Dall Hunt in Alaska in '22, most of the guides carried Stone Glacier or Kuiu, a few had Barney's External Frame . I took a Kifaru Fulcrum which is a great pack, but on the heavy side. The Kifaru fabric, I believe is more durable than the SG in my opinion, but weighs more.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I'd be looking at Exo, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier. I have a Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6400 and can do just about anything I want in it with the gear that I have and carry. I've seen buddies' Exos and Mystery Ranch packs and I think they look really nice too. From personal experience, I'd stay clear away from Eberlestock for this type of pack.

To the point about trying on packs, that's the best thing that you can do. Do know that most of these packs have adjustable fitment so that may be something to play with when you're trying out packs too.

I know that I thought I had my SG pack fit right then hunted with it for a while and my back and everything started to hurt. I was able to stop by the SG shop and had them take a look, I threw a heavy pack on, they adjusted it I put it back on and it was perfect. Then we made the changes to my pack and it made a world of difference. Just something to keep in mind. I think they're all good packs and will server you properly, just male sure it's adjusted to fit you right.

Which model did you use?

Wife carried this one and loved it.

Last edited:

Wife carried this one and loved it.

Thank you.

I'd be looking at Exo, Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, and Stone Glacier. I have a Stone Glacier Sky Archer 6400 and can do just about anything I want in it with the gear that I have and carry. I've seen buddies' Exos and Mystery Ranch packs and I think they look really nice too. From personal experience, I'd stay clear away from Eberlestock for this type of pack.

To the point about trying on packs, that's the best thing that you can do. Do know that most of these packs have adjustable fitment so that may be something to play with when you're trying out packs too.

I know that I thought I had my SG pack fit right then hunted with it for a while and my back and everything started to hurt. I was able to stop by the SG shop and had them take a look, I threw a heavy pack on, they adjusted it I put it back on and it was perfect. Then we made the changes to my pack and it made a world of difference. Just something to keep in mind. I think they're all good packs and will server you properly, just male sure it's adjusted to fit you right.
Thanks for the insight.

You won't have any problem with the MR 6500 (assuming it fits you.) You do need a large pack, as hides, etc. are bulky. (You have to think positively.) Anything larger and you probably won't be able to get it off the ground. You can easily put 100+ pounds in the MR 6500. Have a good hunt..

Recent Posts