Boots for Dall Hunt in NWT

I put out on this thread and read others about what boot I should use and it was one that came up often. I haven't used them yet but they feel good. I use the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme for elk.

I put out on this thread and read others about what boot I should use and it was one that came up often. I haven't used them yet but they feel good. I use the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme for elk.

So you've never climbed a mountain with a 5 flex?

On your 2026 hunt, are you expected to be overnighting and roughing it?

It matters, because If you're roughing it, and there's any cold storms, sweaty socks from the insulation is a fast way to frost nip or worst. My feet sweat boots, maybe yours don't..idk…

..as far as the flex, some guys do like it extra stiff. It CAN causes a blisters unless you have a while to break them in VERY well. That's how it's been for me. Though it's softer on my calf's, I feel it more in my knees and back. I have a small tear in my ACL, so I feel it even more in that knee. The cause for the blisters is because your foot is flexing inside the boot while the boot remains stiff.

Just a heads up.

There's a lot of other brands out there too that offer good mountain boots. Schnees, Meindls, Asolo, ect, and a thicker merino wool sock can help with cold feet when static.

The boots that I purchased are a 4 flex. I have two years to break them in. Thanks for the input.

The boots that I purchased are a 4 flex. I have two years to break them in. Thanks for the input.
I thought you mentioned you got the briksdal SFs, I misread you had the pros.

Good luck out there!

Last edited:
In my search for boots I ordered and sent back many (very narrow feet) and I found a lil hack…put them on and on the treadmill at home or at your gym…you need the exercise anyway and it doesn't mess the boots up where companies won't take them back…I put minimum 10mi on a pair before I decided to ship em or keep em.

I hunted the Nahanni Butte camp in September this year, looks like you will be at the NWT Camp. I more a pair of Scarpa's but won't be wearing them this year to the Yukon. I had a problem with ankle support with them when side hilling, a problem which never became apparent when training. I'll be going with higher boots this year which will probably be Lowa Tibets, but may change until September since they are on the heavy side.

IMG_9571.jpeg

I have a Lowa Hunter and had a mid height model. Good boots but have a set of Crispi Nevada and like how they fit my foot. so I thought I would try the Briksdal Pro.

I hunted the Nahanni Butte camp in September this year, looks like you will be at the NWT Camp. I more a pair of Scarpa's but won't be wearing them this year to the Yukon. I had a problem with ankle support with them when side hilling, a problem which never became apparent when training. I'll be going with higher boots this year which will probably be Lowa Tibets, but may change until September since they are on the heavy side.

View attachment 535224
Beautiful Ram.

I have a Lowa Hunter and had a mid height model. Good boots but have a set of Crispi Nevada and like how they fit my foot. so I thought I would try the Briksdal Pro.
After I did a little comparing, I may give the Briksdal Pro a try myself. They are listed as a 10 inch boot and my Tibets are only 8 inch but have good ankle support. My Scarpa's are not very supportive around the ankle and are 8 inch. I had a problem with ankle roll when side hilling and had to change the direction I pointed my foot to stop the roll which was a real problem. Having a taller boot should be helpful