Boots for Dall Hunt in NWT

Takman

Although a ways off I booked a Dall hunt in the Northwest Territories. I am looking for guidance on boots, particularly insulated and height please.

2026. 21st August to September 2 I believe.
This was late August in the NWT. I had everything I brought on, and during this storm was shivering cold unless I was hiking or in my sleeping bag. I regretted not bringing my favorite whitetail base layer because I thought everything had to be superlight Kuiu or First Light, etc.. I will not make that mistake again! Prepare for everything. You may be hot one day and freezing the next.
LateAug.jpg

You can pack like that light weight Kuiu.I have over late season elk -25,but I have puffy on under my guide layer.I also run several types of mountaineer boots.Asolo GV,La Sportive,and Scarpa Grand. My Cripis my favorite all around and I can do any hunt in them, steep and slick I crampon up with detuned aluminum.Real cold and im in my Kafaru puffy set

Try on as many different boots as you can. Thats the only way to do it. Be prepared to order a bunch online and have to ship them back. Having the wrong boots will directly impact your hunt more than anything else. You dont want any blisters. I have had great luck with the crispi boots as well. I have i think 4 different pairs. Youll be in the nwt with the lancasters so your not going to be putting on like 20 miles a day hiking. I wouldnt worry about insulated boots to be honest. When your moving, everything warms up fast. your feet are still going to be sweating like crazy. I bring different thickness wool socks on my hunts and weather them due to conditions. If your in doubt on what to bring, just call Clay and ask him. Hes a great guy! Its a helicopter hunt so you can bring more gear than you would on a backpack sheep hunt also. Buy a caribou tag if you can.... there is less and less opportunities to hunt them