Bonded bullet performance

wilkup

Are there any differences in performance when talking about this class of bullets with the polymer tips?

I'm asking/interested specifically in the Accubond, Interbond, and Scirrocco II for closer range performance. I have full confidence in the Bergers for longer distances, but I'm talking about body/shoulder shots that are <50 yards on big Texas hogs. There's not too much of a price difference between these three rounds, which is why I'm curious.

Last edited:
Are there any differences in performance when talking about this class of bullets with the polymer tips?

I'm asking/interested specifically in the Accubond, Interbond, and Scirrocco II for closer range performance. I have full confidence in the Bergers for longer distances, but I'm talking about body/shoulder shots that are <50 yards on big Texas hogs. There's a decent price difference between these three rounds, which is why I'm curious.

My experience has all been good with bonded bullets, especially at closer distances.

I use a lot of tipped bullets at extreme ranges, but up close they tend to come apart so I started using the bonded core bullets a anything below 500 yards. I have used all three of the bullets you mentioned and was happy with them. so far the most dependable performance has been the Accubond. Even at extreme velocities the Accubonds have been very predictable.

Interestingly enough, they have performed very well when forced to go long. and exit wounds have been very consistent within the velocity range recommended. And Accuracy is exceptional.

The Accubond would be my first choice on pigs at any distance.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

... I have used all three of the bullets you mentioned and was happy with them. so far the most dependable performance has been the Accubond...

J E CUSTOM

Having used all three, what has been your experience with the other two bullets that pushed you to the Accubond?

I've shot a number of a number of large game animals with the Accubonds, from close range on out to an 850yd caribou. Never had a disappointing experience with them. Most experience has been with the 7mm 160gr Accb. Some with the .308 200gr. Accb.

Never shot a porker.

The Nosler tipped bullet that I've used in the past that has failed to expand is their Ballistic Tips - their non-bonded bullet. Both in 7mm and in .338. Go figure...

Having used all three, what has been your experience with the other two bullets that pushed you to the Accubond?

The others worked very well, the difference was consistency. I have also used other bonded bullets like the Speer Hot core with fare to good results. but It seems that no matter where the shot is placed with the Accubond the exit hole is pretty much the same.

I did some test with the 140 grain Accubond in my 7 WSM by making a point of picking a different Point of impact, (Behind the shoulder, in the shoulder, high in the shoulder and spine, in the neck,
and quartering away) and the exit wounds averaged 2" consistently. the other bonded bullets performed well and stayed together but depending on shot placement, exit wounds varied greatly
in size.

We all try to make a perfect shot every time, but sometimes depending on circumstances like a running shot, it is nice to know what the bullet will do if a less than perfect shot is made.

Before Bonded core bullets, there were bullets with the lead core locked in place ether with the internal design of the jacket or the use of a heavy cannelure that actually crimped the jacket trapping the core. Most of these performed well at the time but bonding the core to the jacket made a big improvement.

Just my experience with bonded bullets.

J E CUSTOM

Used the 160 gr AB in my 7mm in Africa last yr. Great performance. Knocked a kudu and a Gemsbuck DRT. Have not used the Swifts. Was advised by a friend that they were a bit softer than some of the other boned bullets and he liked them because of the expansion. Bruce

Unless the bullets have changed, Swift uses pure copper jackets and pure lead cores, which are more malleable. The ones I tested a few years back performed very well. They do expand well, but also hold together.......Rich

I have hunted with AB's and Scirocco's. I like the Swift bullet better. They have a reputation of being finicky to load. Custom or semi custom rifles all shot them well for me. If a rifle was questionable it would not shoot the Swift. I had one rifle in 6.5-06 that would not shoot them. I had the bore scoped and it was pitted and full of tooling marks. I was going to give up on it and then decided at the last minute to try the AB's and was able to load the rifle to 1moa. I think factory rifles may be hit or miss with the Scirocco.

Steve

I have only used the 130 gr AB in my 264 Win Mag but can tell you I don't believer that it can get much better. I have shot around 25 whitetail deer from as close as 30 yards to a little over 500 yards. I am starting this bullet out at 3350 fps average and there is NO DIFFERENCE in impact results. The bullet goes in takes out the vitals very well and exits with a quarter size hole. I have only recovered one bullet from a buck shot at 111 yards that was facing me with a slight left shoulder forward angle. Bullet entered edge of scapula and was found against the smashed ball socket in the right ham. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. All deer shot have been DRT. Like I said it don't get any better.

I have only used the 130 gr AB in my 264 Win Mag but can tell you I don't believer that it can get much better. I have shot around 25 whitetail deer from as close as 30 yards to a little over 500 yards. I am starting this bullet out at 3350 fps average and there is NO DIFFERENCE in impact results. The bullet goes in takes out the vitals very well and exits with a quarter size hole. I have only recovered one bullet from a buck shot at 111 yards that was facing me with a slight left shoulder forward angle. Bullet entered edge of scapula and was found against the smashed ball socket in the right ham. Bullet was a text book mushroom and weight was 87 grs. All deer shot have been DRT. Like I said it don't get any better.

I can't believe I've never tried the Accubond before now! These results are super encouraging!

Ive taken a fair share of tx hogs inside 100 yards with bergers.

The shoulder shot isnt my first choice but ive put few bergers there when it was dark and that was the best option.

Besides trashing the onside shoulder, and sometimes the offside, they typically get the job done.

I only remember shooting 1 twice. I walked up behind him with my pistol.

Unless the bullets have changed, Swift uses pure copper jackets and pure lead cores, which are more malleable. The ones I tested a few years back performed very well. They do expand well, but also hold together.......Rich

+1

The swift A Frame is one of the best I have found for big dangerous game with 375,416 and 45 cal.

I have not used them on anything smaller than 416. Mainly because Nosler did/does not make there Accubonds in anything bigger than .375 and I think the partition is made in 416, but only recently.

J E CUSTOM

Same results here. We have shot quite a few big elk with both the 160 grain 7mm and 200 grain .308 bullets, a few deer and a Mtn goat too. They have never failed to meet my very high expectations and perform well from 50 - 600 yards. Also don't blood shoot up the meat at the 2900-3000 fps muzzle velocity I load em to. If i could only load 1 bullets in all of my hunting rifles, the accubond would be it.

I'm impressed with the following the Accubond has for hunting. I had no idea, but am going to give it a try and report back.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.