Berger bullet performance

Skewed?
My sister this yr shot a muley on the walk at 175 yards and it hunched up and continued to walk, before we could get in position for another shot it had traveled over 150 yards and into no hunting. NOT A DROP OF BLOOD. Gut shot maybe?? I dont know.
That same night she shot another buck at 180 yards and it dropped like a rock then tried to get up and her and my other sister both missed and next thing they knew it was up and running. 2 small quarter size spots of blood where it was on the ground. (My guess is just grazed the neck enough it stunned it and when it came to was off and gone) So I have had a couple weird happenings but it worked great also on my spring bear. 287 yards if I remember right and hit him at the back of vitals then 2nd shot quartered to dropped him like a sack of taters.

Seems like unethical hunting. After wounding one and losing it, should have called the hunt.
As far as Bergers, have had no problems, and will continue to shoot them.

Seems like unethical hunting. After wounding one and losing it, should have called the hunt.
As far as Bergers, have had no problems, and will continue to shoot them.

UPDATE: The ethics POLICE HAVE ARRIVED!

Some people rely on venison as their primary source of meat, and with the cost of tags and licensing in this state thats the stupidest thing I have heard.

There are a things we can do or things that the rifle is doing that makes the bullet perform differently than what is typical, many stop at that and call it a bullet failure but it's worth finding the CAUSE of the perceived bullet failure.
I've had many copper bullets "fail" but for the most part it's just that I'm shooting them out of there operating range which really is not a bullet failure but me just pushing it.

Food for thought - If the bullet in question was a 185 (.308) hunting vld: depending on the muzzle velocity (3000 fps?) the impact velocity would be approaching the lower end of the operating range at 700+ yds. Also, it may or may not have been the "hunting" version (the target version have thicker jackets), which could have affected the ability to fragment.

Your sister shoots and loses two deer and you have no problem with this?
Also, what does the cost of a license have to do with anything.

Again, I have no problem with Berger bullets. Taken game out to 841 yards, one shot kills. I will continue to use them.

Your sister shoots and loses two deer and you have no problem with this?
Also, what does the cost of a license have to do with anything.

Again, I have no problem with Berger bullets. Taken game out to 841 yards, one shot kills. I will continue to use them.

Never said I had no problem with it. But you obviously havent read all my posts. The 2nd deer they watched go over a mile. The deer obviously was ok. Yes it sucks BUT it happens and weather or not anyone else on here will admit it but loosing an animal happens. Im just man enough to admit it.

There are those people out there that will shoot until they hit their meat. Thats why they started making 30-06 AR's.

He's right tags are expensive here in WA $42.99 for one, I think they spent that much in bullets.

I got a friend he's over in the Ellensburg Canyon hunting this weekend he got an elk this afternoon with a .270 win 140 gn berger bullets that I loaded up for his gun=1 shot.

I asked him specifically how far it moved after he shot it, he stated it fell to its knees.

Now he did have good shot placement, right in the neck.

His shot today was 221 yds.

UPDATE: The ethics POLICE HAVE ARRIVED!

Some people rely on venison as their primary source of meat, and with the cost of tags and licensing in this state thats the stupidest thing I have heard.

Mx... I've read through this post a few times... And I have to comment on what you said above. If everyone who could pick up a gun and buy a tag had to shoot 2 or 3 animals to actually harvest game, then there would be a lot less tags issued each year and fewer opportunities to hunt for those that can actually kill and retreive their game. You point is well taken, but it appears that you and everyone you know have a hard time killing and retrieving your animals. Perhaps sticking to the range would be a good call. Sorry... But that's how I see it.

I tend to agree with trueblue on this one.

Ethics aside, I used a 185 hunting VLD in a 308 on an elk hunt with good results. 2470 fps, shot was at 200yds, not the best placement. Bullet had to travel through the shoulder but did not strike any bones.
another 50yds out and we probably would have had to track it.
animal ran 20-30 yards and was done.

that was 3 years ago

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts