Bullet performance

Burn97mm

Does anyone know how we'll the 162gr A-Max in 7mm performs at longer ranges on deer or even hogs. I am searching for a accurate long range bullet that still has the energy to do the job. Hate spending more money than needed to get the job done. The a-Max is accurate, but does it perform. Thanks,

I had so experince with that bullet out of my 7mmrum last year. i shot a blacktail deer at 550 and then 600. it took two shots to down him and i was extreamly dissipointed with the trama left from the bullet. it exploded on impact not even going into the chest cavity.after a hour getting to the deer it was still alive. after that i went straight to nosler 160 accubonds, and they worked great one shot kills. this year i am going to the ablr 168 and ill see how they do . that my 2cence

The amax will work fine as long as you stay away from the shoulder. I will be using them on deer in about 2 weeks from my 284 win, MV is 2857 fps. I will let you know.

Hit a hog at 320 the other day with the 162 a-max and it ran about 75 yds before it killed over. Hit him just about mid lung high. Bullet did okay, but expected that from a non shoulder shot. As for the bergers, I have them and use them, but was looking for a less expensive bullet to use. Thanks for the help guys!

Got a chance to hit three different hogs with my 7mm and my 162 gr Amax, the first was a 200 lb sow at 455yds. She went straight down. The second was at 415 with the same result. The last was a 300lb boar that dropped because of a spin shot, but he took 13 rds of my .40 to get him down.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 65
Does anyone know how we'll the 162gr A-Max in 7mm performs at longer ranges on deer or even hogs. I am searching for a accurate long range bullet that still has the energy to do the job. Hate spending more money than needed to get the job done. The a-Max is accurate, but does it perform. Thanks,

The 162 A-Max is a good long range bullet! The reason it didn't work well at 500 ysrds with the 7 RUM is you still have pretty high velocity. When we speak of long range, we should be sure we talk about what weapon is being used (muzzle velocity) and what IS long range? .......Rich

Thanks Rich, this is a 7 rem mag moving at 2950fps. Still haven't had a chance to hit anything any farther, cause they haven't been willing to hold still. Waiting for that 800 and 900yarder so I can test out that bullet.:)

Thanks Rich, this is a 7 rem mag moving at 2950fps. Still haven't had a chance to hit anything any farther, cause they haven't been willing to hold still. Waiting for that 800 and 900yarder so I can test out that bullet.:)

That makes a difference! A 7 RUM probably has as much velocity at 300 yards as yours does at the muzzle. I always rate bullets at IMPACT velocity. That is why I manufacture my own for 1300' to 2500', give or take. Good luck with those hoggers!:D......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.