Bog fieldpod vs deathgrip sturdiness

I just received a Bog Deathgrip. I was waiting for some time trying to decide if I wanted to buy a higher end tripod. I gave a lot of thought to weight and questioned sturdiness, etc. Took advantage of 10% off and free shipping at Midway and bought the aluminum one. Best $150 I've spent in a long time. It's heavy, but I'm probably only going to use it when blind or still hunting a short hike in.
5A72677F-4721-451D-A6B7-EC73D13C29A4.jpeg

I just received a Bog Deathgrip. I was waiting for some time trying to decide if I wanted to buy a higher end tripod. I gave a lot of thought to weight and questioned sturdiness, etc. Took advantage of 10% off and free shipping at Midway and bought the aluminum one. Best $150 I've spent in a long time. It's heavy, but I'm probably only going to use it when blind or still hunting a short hike in.
View attachment 481826
Nice looking setup! It's a little heavier than my fieldpod was. I have a kuiu venture divide backpack though, so mine will sit right in the center divide spot and shouldn't be too bad to walk in a good ways with. Haven't got a chance yet to shoot with mine but just dry fire practicing I can tell it's super sturdy.

I would definitely go lighter if I was packing a tripod for any long distance hunting. The higher weight actually feels like an advantage once you get set up. It feels rock steady. The pan works but as expected it's not as smooth as other higher end heads. It may fall apart down the road, but it should serve its purpose especially for the minimal $$ invested.

Death Grip all the way. Almost impossible to beat for the money. You can get ball socket tripods from other manufacturers but you'll pay three times the cost of a basic death grip.
My buddies use these for night shooting pigs since the total weight of the night rig is so much, very impressive how well it works.
If I had the money that's what I would get but since I don't I use a forked stick 🤷🏼‍♂️

Anybody try the deathgrip 360 chair? I like the concept but it seems like it wouldn't be as solid as using a tripod.
Death grip chair has a poor leg design and if you stand up with just the death grip arm extended ( no gun) it tips over! Tried one at a trade show to see if I should buy them for the shop. Nope! Feet are too small and would only work on very level hard ground....just me!

I use a 360 degree swivel chair like one from cabelas, but bought at Wal-Mart. Sets nice and comfortable. I just pick up the bog pod rifle and all, swivel around nice and smooth to shoot anything that comes in from the wrong direction. Be slow and smooth and they never pay any attention to you when you're 200 or more yards away. I've even done it on one at 75 yards.
Rosebud: Can you post a photo or link to the Wall Mart swivel chair? Thanks.

I was in the process of sighting in a 300WSM rifle in preparation for a once in a lifetime bear hunt. Shot a string, let it cool, shot another string, turned my back as I was letting it cool and the rifle fell out of the Death Grip onto the scope and muzzle break on concrete. Vortex was absolutely great in covering the damage under their warranty.

I assumed with a name like Death Grip there would be no movement of the rifle. I was wrong. Need to watch this and adjust the rifle between strings. And consider removing when cooling.

I've got the death grip and so far it's great . My buddy used it for a 200 yd shot on a javalina with great success. I've had it to the range with my Contender and striker pistols and it's a big help . Had my 7-08 in it and it was nice and stable. It's important to set the gun at the balance point so it's not front or back heavy on the bog . Helps from tipping the gun back at you or nose down when you let the gun rest .

I bet attaching to a rail is the sturdiest way to go, however when I was on a hunt with my fieldpod I had a my biggest buck to date come out behind me to my left and was feeding about 40 yards away. I was able to slowly grab my rifle out the fieldpod and freehand a shot, at that point the buck was looking at me. I'm afraid if a similar scenario were to happen and my gun was attached to my tripod by rail I would've had to move the whole setup and been busted before being able to get off a shot. I think the deathgrip would be ok in that scenario correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like it's pretty easy to quietly/quickly loosen and remove my gun from it.
FYI, The Field Optics has a quick-release lever on the mount to release the rail. They also sell a saddle mount. I realize this product costs a little more, but it appears to be a quality piece. I bought one a couple months ago but haven't used it yet

I don't have any experience with the death grip, but I have used the bog pod in the past and currently use an Athlon Midas cf40 tripod. I have a monfroto hog saddle knock off and it works well for guns that I don't want to modify for an arca rail, but direct arca is really the answer for tripods. Also as someone mentioned, don't walk away from a rifle on a tripod unless you have a tether on it.

My death grip has been awesome for the money. I bought an adapter and ballhead with arca clamp off a guy on snipershide and absolutely love it. Getting rid of the death grip clamp saves a ton of weight for hunting, I just use my 6ARC elf owl with integrated arca rail, or an AR with a section added just forward of the magwell. For guns that don't have arca, I can either throw the clamp back on since I bolted a section of rail to it, or use a tac plate and bags.

Makes a world of difference being able to let go of the gun but still have it in position, especially for night hunting where I'm using my hands to run a thermal to scan.

I have three tripods and a field pod.
Kopfjager, Bog death grip and a put together older one on an older Leupold Carbon tripod (all are Carbon).
I use the field pod in my blind or tree stand (200 limited distance and it's been fine). Shot bucks with it easy.
The Kopfjager I shot a big Muley at 435yds. Super steady on my knees.
I bought the Bog as a lighter mountain setup and use it with Spartan Javelin converters for my rifles, rangefinder, larger Bono's and spotter.
It doesn't go as high or is as adjustable as my Kopfjager but it is lighter by about a pound.
My Leupold is more for the range but I set all three up so they are fully adaptable to use any head I want to including the Kopfjager reaper rail (picatinny).
If I go out to a few camps we frequent, I can have one setup with AR for coyotes, one for glassing and one on the pack.
I didn't plan on having 3 but it works.