Bog fieldpod vs deathgrip sturdiness

I had a fieldpod for a couple of days and then returned it. I only tried it out in my reloading room, not in the actual field. It looks good, but from that point forward I didn't care for it. As many companies do, they buy all the rights to a great product and then build it as cheaply as they can to make more money.

The fieldpod does work, but cheaply made relates to problems later on.

I do have a Pig Saddle on a tripod which is similar to the death grip. I have also used a hunting partners Deathgrip in the field and find it to be very stable. The Deathgrip tripod is much sturdier than the fieldpod.

Even though I still have the Pig Saddle and it goes with me on every hunt and target practice session, I use an arca rail every time. The Pig Saddle is a backup in case I have a problem.

There are some videos out there that show some hunters converting their Deathgrip to an arca rail.

There are other setups on the market very similar to the FieldPod. The drawback is heavier to carry a longer distances.

I had one just like the one pictured below. It was very stable and easy to set up. Heavy to carry.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 9.28.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 9.28.34 AM.png
    295.7 KB · Views: 233
I've never used a field pod but that looks pretty awkward to move around. I bought the carbon infinite deathgrip as my first trial of a shooting tripod. It's Chinese but for the money it's awesome. Legs move smooth with quick twist locks. The clamp is versatile for a variety of things and quite stable. For my chassis gun I take it off so it's direct to the arca rail and ball socket. Dropped down all the way it is fantastic for prone even without a rear bag. If you have a bigger budget look at Field Optics Research. Their new stuff is American sourced and manufactured according to a video I saw earlier this year.

I had a fieldpod for a couple of days and then returned it. I only tried it out in my reloading room, not in the actual field. It looks good, but from that point forward I didn't care for it. As many companies do, they buy all the rights to a great product and then build it as cheaply as they can to make more money.

The fieldpod does work, but cheaply made relates to problems later on.

I do have a Pig Saddle on a tripod which is similar to the death grip. I have also used a hunting partners Deathgrip in the field and find it to be very stable. The Deathgrip tripod is much sturdier than the fieldpod.

Even though I still have the Pig Saddle and it goes with me on every hunt and target practice session, I use an arca rail every time. The Pig Saddle is a backup in case I have a problem.

There are some videos out there that show some hunters converting their Deathgrip to an arca rail.

There are other setups on the market very similar to the FieldPod. The drawback is heavier to carry a longer distances.

I had one just like the one pictured below. It was very stable and easy to set up. Heavy to carry.
I bet attaching to a rail is the sturdiest way to go, however when I was on a hunt with my fieldpod I had a my biggest buck to date come out behind me to my left and was feeding about 40 yards away. I was able to slowly grab my rifle out the fieldpod and freehand a shot, at that point the buck was looking at me. I'm afraid if a similar scenario were to happen and my gun was attached to my tripod by rail I would've had to move the whole setup and been busted before being able to get off a shot. I think the deathgrip would be ok in that scenario correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like it's pretty easy to quietly/quickly loosen and remove my gun from it.

I've never used a field pod but that looks pretty awkward to move around. I bought the carbon infinite deathgrip as my first trial of a shooting tripod. It's Chinese but for the money it's awesome. Legs move smooth with quick twist locks. The clamp is versatile for a variety of things and quite stable. For my chassis gun I take it off so it's direct to the arca rail and ball socket. Dropped down all the way it is fantastic for prone even without a rear bag. If you have a bigger budget look at Field Optics Research. Their new stuff is American sourced and manufactured according to a video I saw earlier this year.
I don't really have a big budget for the tripod, I just bought a new rifle and scope and about 200 rds so I'm limited on how much I can spend before hunting season!

What exactly is the difference between the deathgrip and the deathgrip infinite besides price? Also is the carbon supposed to be sturdier or is it just lighter than aluminum? I don't really mind saving $ if it's lighter but if its lighter and sturdier I'd consider it.

The infinite is the new model with twist lock legs and spikes for the feet you can deploy if needed. Lighter? A little. Stiffer? Should be but I don't think you will notice unless it's a really heavy rifle. Mostly carbon fiber is just cool! 🤣 that's about all I can tell you.

I bet attaching to a rail is the sturdiest way to go, however when I was on a hunt with my fieldpod I had a my biggest buck to date come out behind me to my left and was feeding about 40 yards away. I was able to slowly grab my rifle out the fieldpod and freehand a shot, at that point the buck was looking at me. I'm afraid if a similar scenario were to happen and my gun was attached to my tripod by rail I would've had to move the whole setup and been busted before being able to get off a shot. I think the deathgrip would be ok in that scenario correct me if I'm wrong but it seems like it's pretty easy to quietly/quickly loosen and remove my gun from it.
It is easy to loosen the grip panels.

I recently got the BOG Deathgrip Infinite. I looked at the field pod but the long axis where the rifle mounts made it seem cumbersome to transport in/on a back pack. With the Deathgrip the clamping head is held onto the ball head with an arca system. so if you have an arca rail on your rifle its already to go. you dont have to buy anything extra.

For me the Deathgrip is plenty sturdy in the standing position, was using it today for some rimfire practice, and the legs deploy reasonably quickly with a quarter turn to lock/unlock.

You may have different preferences but so far I like it.

I've got, and recommend, the carbon Death Grip. As soon as I get around to putting an ARCA rail on my rifle I'll swap out the heavy head on it for something ARCA comparable in the hopes of saving weight.
There are better and lighter products on the market but for the $200-ish (caught mine on sale) price tag the DeathGrip is great.

Anybody try the deathgrip 360 chair? I like the concept but it seems like it wouldn't be as solid as using a tripod.
I use a 360 degree swivel chair like one from cabelas, but bought at Wal-Mart. Sets nice and comfortable. I just pick up the bog pod rifle and all, swivel around nice and smooth to shoot anything that comes in from the wrong direction. Be slow and smooth and they never pay any attention to you when you're 200 or more yards away. I've even done it on one at 75 yards.

Recent Posts