Bog fieldpod vs deathgrip sturdiness

My buddies use these for night shooting pigs since the total weight of the night rig is so much, very impressive how well it works.
If I had the money that's what I would get but since I don't I use a forked stick 🤷🏼‍♂️
I actually made a shot one time on a powerline on a local management area at 535yds with a forked stick with my custom 6.5x55 swede I built off an 1899 rifle I paid $75 for. After I made the shot someone yelled out 100yds behind me, "what kind of gun are you shootin" I answered back "the kind that kills deer at 535yds" lol.

Here a partial picture of the old girl. I did the stock and a little relief caring to pretty her up sorry for the partial pic

Attachments

• 20200208_163223.jpg
    20200208_163223.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 78
I have the Sirui 254 with a Leupold hogsaddle attachment and now going to the Arca rail. Complete package is under 3lbs and compact as well as will go low enough for shooting off a bench or as tall as kneeling/standing. Cost was right around 300.00 for everything.

Attachments

• 20221118_131541.jpg
    20221118_131541.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 81
I have the BOG death grip, it was my first tripod and when I bought it I loved it, I thought it was the greatest thing. Well after a couple months one of the clamps for the leg extensions broke. That sucked, but I continued to use it since I rarely need it fully extended. Now, after Having it for a few years and just seeing and trying a handful of other tripods I hate the BOG.

The only thing I use the bog for is a loaner if someone goes to the range and needs somewhere to rest binos or a spotter

I had a fieldpod for a couple of days and then returned it. I only tried it out in my reloading room, not in the actual field. It looks good, but from that point forward I didn't care for it. As many companies do, they buy all the rights to a great product and then build it as cheaply as they can to make more money.
This is for sure. American Outdoor Brands is one of those Wall Street holding companies that buys up what were once great brands, then product quality and customer service get tossed out the window so the new owners can focus on squeezing every dollar they can out of it. AOB is a horrible example. They own dozens of well-known, once-great brands. I had a problem with a defective new Bog tripod. It took months to finally get a response from them. I recently had a pre-purchase question about a Crimson Trace product. That was weeks ago. Still no response. I had a problem with a defective Wheeler action wrench. It took them MONTHS to respond. That was nearly a year ago. I am STILL waiting for them to send me the replacement they promised.
Avoid anything made by companies owned by American Outdoor Brands!

I try to subscribe to the "buy once and cry once" on hunting and shooting equipment. However, there is definitely a point of diminishing returns and financial pain when purchasing the top shelf equipment. Each person will need to define if it is worth it to them. In this hunting and shooting world we can spend enormous amounts of $$$$ and still come home empty handed. I sure would feel better about having a problem with a $150 item than having a problem with a $1000 item when it is a non-critical in my mind to begin with.

I use the the TriClawps which I can put on my existing glassing tripod while in the field. Added a matching head plate and done for quick in and off attachment. Easy to carry and fits in a small pocket in my pack. Hold is rock solid but as with anything they require some practice with differ shooting positions. I've found using it while sitting to be very effective and stable. Killed a Coues buck last year at 307 with my Muzzleloader using this setup. Picture below is the Muzzy in the Triclawps while I was sitting preparing to shoot to the hillside. When I refer to sitting I'm not referring to a chair either. Sitting on the ground here.

Attachments

• IMG_4996.jpeg
    IMG_4996.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
I was in the process of sighting in a 300WSM rifle in preparation for a once in a lifetime bear hunt. Shot a string, let it cool, shot another string, turned my back as I was letting it cool and the rifle fell out of the Death Grip onto the scope and muzzle break on concrete. Vortex was absolutely great in covering the damage under their warranty.

I assumed with a name like Death Grip there would be no movement of the rifle. I was wrong. Need to watch this and adjust the rifle between strings. And consider removing when cooling.
Good advice, thanks!

Rosebud: Can you post a photo or link to the Wall Mart swivel chair? Thanks.
Guide gear swivel chair from walmart. $79.99. 500 pound capacity. Has fat round disks on the leg ends that swivel and won't sink into soft ground easily. They make a $59.99 Mod. But its not near as good. Can't attach link . This is the best I can do. Sorry!

Attachments

• IMG_20230807_105614.jpg
    IMG_20230807_105614.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 48
A long while ago, probably 10 years or so, i watched a video of a guy demonstrating a clamp type support mounted on a conventional aluminum tripod.
The rifle he was using was a 7 mm Rem mag.
The recoil of the first shot literally picked the entire setup off the ground and it came back with the gun pointed in an entirely different direction.
The video was over right then, and i was never even able to find it again.
Most of the recent videos i watch are of lighter recoiling guns.
And some guns are also equipped with recoil reducing devices.
I would like to see a video of a demonstration where there is say a 300 WiN MAG with no recoil reducing device being used.
Can some one point me in the right direction for that?