Big 375 chamberings

I don't know of anyone in Africa that is going to let you take long range shots like that at any of the Big 5 or Dangerous game.

You might find a few willing to let you try such shots on cull hunts for plains game but I doubt it.
Definitely not! And I wasnt suggesting it.

It'd be a great rifle for Africa and alaska, but itd also reach out for elk, sheep, etc out west and ding steel waaaaay out there for fun. Covers all the uses a guy would have short of prairie dogs. I suppose itd kill those too, but itd be an expensive day in dogtown! :D

Definitely not! And I wasnt suggesting it.

It'd be a great rifle for Africa and alaska, but itd also reach out for elk, sheep, etc out west and ding steel waaaaay out there for fun. Covers all the uses a guy would have short of prairie dogs. I suppose itd kill those too, but itd be an expensive day in dogtown! :D

There's a whole lot of less punishing rounds that accomplish all that.

The OP is 18 and hasn't even started hunting yet, we're trying to keep his expectations in line with his budget and reality.

I know personally the 375Ruger can be quite effective at 600yds and that's probably more enough to fulfill all his needs for at least 20 years.

We haven't even gotten to the discussion yet about what it costs to shoot these boomers but 5.00-7.00 a round for factory ammo or more will eat most people's hunting and shooting budget up before they ever leave on the first hunt.

Honestly, he'd be better off getting something cheap to shoot that will take care of all his hunting in N. America for a decade or so and where he can learn the finer parts of reloading without breaking the bank like the evil 6.5's, 7mm's or .30's.

I ran short of ammo recently and begrudgingly bought some factory 300 Rum and 375 Ruger just to finish the season since all my reloading gear is packed away and almost had a stroke!

There's a whole lot of less punishing rounds that accomplish all that.

The OP is 18 and hasn't even started hunting yet, we're trying to keep his expectations in line with his budget and reality.

I know personally the 375Ruger can be quite effective at 600yds and that's probably more enough to fulfill all his needs for at least 20 years.

We haven't even gotten to the discussion yet about what it costs to shoot these boomers but 5.00-7.00 a round for factory ammo or more will eat most people's hunting and shooting budget up before they ever leave on the first hunt.

Honestly, he'd be better off getting something cheap to shoot that will take care of all his hunting in N. America for a decade or so and where he can learn the finer parts of reloading without breaking the bank like the evil 6.5's, 7mm's or .30's.

I ran short of ammo recently and begrudgingly bought some factory 300 Rum and 375 Ruger just to finish the season since all my reloading gear is packed away and almost had a stroke!
cmon. "the 375 rum is terrible... the 375 ruger is great" I see this a lot. It doesn't make sense. It's like saying the 308 is too big, the 300 savage is way better.

They are so close in capacity and performance there isnt an animal living that could tell the difference. The reason I went for the rum is because I have 2 other rums and it's the biggest case on a standard magnum platform. It's a great round. For Africa or anywhere. The ruger is almost as great. Lots of others are great too.

Point is. Yes, hes 18. I remember being 18. All talk and ambition but without the money or resources to do any of it. A 375rum is a great rifle for him. Cheap to find, easy to Load for with the same powders used in the most common cartridges, and has the ability to be the 1 gun a guy uses for everything from deer and bear with cheap 270gr speers, to targets at 1 mile with relatively cheap .8 bc 350gr smk, to africa with 300 and 350gr barnes. And that's where the ruger, most 30cals, 7mm's, and other more common calibers fall short. If he wants to hunt the world with it, AND shoot long range all with the same gun, the 375 rum is one of the best. Lots of brass out there and lots of used guns on shelves. He will probably spend twice as much money on the scope as he does on the rest of it. Own just 1 rifle and spend his money taking it on diy hunts while hes still got the back n knees for it!

This assumes hes going to handload. Handloading is a given in my opinion if you want to shoot very far, especially at something living. Full power rum loads cost roughly double to shoot as a 308. Not cheap, but nowhere near the cost of shooting a ct. But he didn't say "I want a rifle I can shoot a lot, cheap". He said "i want a rifle to hunt Africa and Alaska and for long range". That's a 375. And the rum is the best at it :)
20200103_140252.jpg

Last edited:
cmon. "the 375 rum is terrible... the 375 ruger is great" I see this a lot. It doesn't make sense. It's like saying the 308 is too big, the 300 savage is way better.

They are so close in capacity and performance there isnt an animal living that could tell the difference. The reason I went for the rum is because I have 2 other rums and it's the biggest case on a standard magnum platform. It's a great round. For Africa or anywhere. The ruger is almost as great. Lots of others are great too.

Point is. Yes, hes 18. I remember being 18. All talk and ambition but without the money or resources to do any of it. A 375rum is a great rifle for him. Cheap to find, easy to Load for with the same powders used in the most common cartridges, and has the ability to be the 1 gun a guy uses for everything from deer and bear with cheap 270gr speers, to targets at 1 mile with relatively cheap .8 bc 350gr smk, to africa with 300 and 350gr barnes. And that's where the ruger, most 30cals, 7mm's, and other more common calibers fall short. If he wants to hunt the world with it, AND shoot long range all with the same gun, the 375 rum is one of the best. Lots of brass out there and lots of used guns on shelves. He will probably spend twice as much money on the scope as he does on the rest of it. Own just 1 rifle and spend his money taking it on diy hunts while hes still got the back n knees for it!

This assumes hes going to handload. Handloading is a given in my opinion if you want to shoot very far, especially at something living. Full power rum loads cost roughly double to shoot as a 308. Not cheap, but nowhere near the cost of shooting a ct. But he didn't say "I want a rifle I can shoot a lot, cheap". He said "i want a rifle to hunt Africa and Alaska and for long range". That's a 375. And the rum is the best at it :)View attachment 330675
I owned both for about 10 years. Even at 3lbs lighter the felt recoil from my 375 Ruger is substantially more tolerable than the Rum was with equal weight bullets.

I still shoot the 300 Rum a great deal and really enjoy it but never did enjoy shooting the 375.

Better? Better is entirely subjective.

Try finding factory ammo for a 375 Rum if you ever get separated from, or run out of ammo on a trip anywhere, much less Africa.

I owned both for about 10 years. Even at 3lbs lighter the felt recoil from my 375 Ruger is substantially more tolerable than the Rum was with equal weight bullets.

I still shoot the 300 Rum a great deal and really enjoy it but never did enjoy shooting the 375.

Better? Better is entirely subjective.

Try finding factory ammo for a 375 Rum if you ever get separated from, or run out of ammo on a trip anywhere, much less Africa.
Of course it kicks Less, its weaker. And a 300wsm kicks less than both, and a 7mm08 even less, and a 223 even less so a 223 is probably what everyone should shoot because it kicks less.

Makes zero sense, see? the kid was asking about a cheytac ffs. A 375 rum sure as heck kicks less than that! I have a 375 rum and a 375h&h. They recoil roughly the same unbraked. Rum is a bit sharper maybe but near impossible to tell. Kinda like getting hit by a bus or a garbage truck and trying to explain the difference. But the h&h is slow twist and slow speed, like your ruger, so it hasn't left the safe in years. I carry my rum almost every day i go out. To a kid wanting to go long, they just dont hang with a rum and recoil doesn't matter one bit. They all kick. Anyone who can manage an h&h can manage the rum and if u want to hunt africa, you probably better learn to hang on to something even bigger.

And I dont care if theres a $120 box of ammo on the shelf or not. No ones shooting corelokts at anything close to long range.

Regardless... this is pointless anyway. I hate arguing, especially when it is moot. I like all u guys on here and the op isnt even here responding so I'm not wasting any more of your time. Or mine.

Last edited:
Of course it kicks Less, its weaker. And a 300wsm kicks less than both, and a 7mm08 even less, and a 223 even less so a 223 is probably what everyone should shoot because it kicks less.

Makes zero sense, see? the kid was asking about a cheytac ffs. A 375 rum sure as heck kicks less than that! I have a 375 rum and a 375h&h. They recoil roughly the same unbraked. Rum is a bit sharper maybe but near impossible to tell. Kinda like getting hit by a bus or a garbage truck and trying to explain the difference. But the h&h is slow twist and slow speed, like your ruger, so it hasn't left the safe in years. I carry my rum almost every day i go out. To a kid wanting to go long, they just dont hang with a rum and recoil doesn't matter one bit. They all kick. Anyone who can manage an h&h can manage the rum and if u want to hunt africa, you probably better learn to hang on to something even bigger.

And I dont care if theres a $120 box of ammo on the shelf or not. No ones shooting corelokts at anything close to long range.

Regardless... this is pointless anyway. I hate arguing, especially when it is moot. I like all u guys on here and the op isnt even here responding so I'm not wasting any more of your time. Or mine.
When I was 18 I wanted a lot of things that were not necessary, practical, or even advisable.

Thankfully I had people around me who would usually point me in a better direction, saving me a lot of time, money, and most likely in my case serious injuries as well.

There are a lot better options than the Cheytac for what he needs so some of us were being nice and figure out exactly what it was he needs rather than just what he thought he wanted.

Nobody is knocking your big boomers, if they make you happy enjoy them.