big 7 or big 30

Outlaw, I do see what you're saying......However, the STW will offer less recoil, flatter shooting, and less internal damage to the meat, but will still put them down with no issues. It will also be cheaper to shoot than the .338 Lapua. And it will use alot less powder. As far as reloading, the only advantage I see to the Lapua, is that it is not a belted magnum, therefore the brass might last longer, depending on how hot he loads it.

Outlaw, I do see what you're saying......However, the STW will offer less recoil, flatter shooting, and less internal damage to the meat, but will still put them down with no issues. It will also be cheaper to shoot than the .338 Lapua. And it will use alot less powder. As far as reloading, the only advantage I see to the Lapua, is that it is not a belted magnum, therefore the brass might last longer, depending on how hot he loads it.

I did highlight the recoil issue. The STW is very capable of putting animals in the dirt, but doesn't hold a candle to the Lapua in that respect at any range. Another advantage of the Lapua is Lapua brass which will last (properly used of course) far longer than any brass offered for the STW. I believe Broz was over a dozen loads with his 338 Lapua brass & still going strong.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of the STW, I'm just voicing my opinion that the OP addressed BIG 7mm's. I don't think the STW fits that bill. IMHO, big 7mm start with the RUM or Dakota & gos up from there.

t

The Dakota is physically smaller than the STW. But has relative case capacity. The RUM is slightly bit bigger around, but the same length as the STW. I have never been a RUM fan.

Here's a good read:

7mm Musings

You're welcome mud.

Gents, please remember, that 7rum might have only lasted 600 rounds (did you set it back?). You are comparing a factory barrel to the Top Tier custom barrel that Kirby uses. While Rem barrels are ok, they simply cannot compete with the custom made, hand lapped barrels.

Will an untreated 7am make it 1000 rounds? Nope, probably not. That would be the price you pay for that type of performance. It's going to be up to the OP to choose what he wants/needs. He's already got a 338 Lapua, the STW is not going to offer anything the Lapua cannot already do (minus the recoil).

t

I'm talking rem barrels for both rifles. The rum will fire crack the throat a good bit more than the stw and hence eats it up faster. I could (and did) get 3500 fps out of my sendero 7stw with 140 grain accubonds and rl25; my hunting load was 3450 fps with a 140 accubond. My rum started out at 3425 fps with the 140 sierra and rl25; it eventually made 3500 fps with the same charge a couple of hundred rounds before I retired it. The 7rum took 13 grains more powder to make the same or less velocity.

I'm thoroughly impressed at how my 7STW is shooting the 180 Berger VLD's. i don't think I could go back to AB's, atleast not in the STW. I still plan on shooting the AB's in my 7Mag and .257 Wby Mag, unless I can find a load that will work better than the current ones, but with Berger VLD's.

I'd love to shoot the new 195 Berger when it comes out but i don't know I'd it will survive the velocity from the 7-338 lapua imp.

Cody,

With the high bc bullets available these days, the 30 cals have more potential than the 7's. the down side is recoil but the upside is barrel life. 300rums are hard on barrels as it is. The 7rum is hell on them. Why not the tried and true 300 win? You already have a hammer (338). For the country and game you hunt a 300 win would do you well

I'd love to shoot the new 195 Berger when it comes out but i don't know I'd it will survive the velocity from the 7-338 lapua imp.
I am pretty sure it would survive it better than the 180 grain berger, it is moving about 100-200 fps slower and with the higher bc shouldnt have as much resistance one it is in the air. Thats my theory though and others probably differ.:rolleyes:

I'm sure the 300 Winnie would serve me well I just am stuck on doing the big calibers. I think the 30-338 lapua improved would be wicked. I guess I just like the extra performance even if it means extra weight on the rifle and less barrel life.

No flies on the plain-jane 300 Win Mag which would be my suggestion, especially if you already have a 338 Lapua. But, it doesn't sound like you would be happy with it so, get what you want. After hunting and shooting with guys that have 338-378's, 338 Lapua's and the like, I've come to really enjoy slower, more efficient rounds.

I'm sure the 300 Winnie would serve me well I just am stuck on doing the big calibers. I think the 30-338 lapua improved would be wicked. I guess I just like the extra performance even if it means extra weight on the rifle and less barrel life.

Fair enough. My recommendation is to order two barrels and get them extra long so they can be set back a couple times. There is a good chance you will fry one before the next one arrived. Even if you ordered it the same day as the first at the range. I have 1st hand knowledge of how hard the 30-338LM Improved is on barrels. 3 groove to boot. They are wicked, I'll give you that.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts