Big 375 chamberings

The fast 375's absolutely rock buffalo quite considerably more than the H&H.
The comparison to a 500 Nitro (570g pill) or 505 Gibbs (600g pill) in comparison to a fast 375 is apples to grapefruit. The 500's just hit with far more punch. It is noticeable, but funny thing is the animals react differently with 50's and bigger. Have had them fall over sideways, nose down and plough with their face for 10-20yrds and then fall over. Have had them jump off the ground and spin around then fall over or try to run but get nowhere.
Personally, I have shot far more big animals with the 375 Weatherby than all my other rifles combined, it is more of a hunting rifle set-up than a DG rifle set up, I actually use it for deer hunting too. A 260g Accubond @ 3000fps is awesome on deer and shoots FLAT!

Cheers.
Jeez man what do those deer look like after getting hammered?

When I was younger I shot a 416 Rigby without appropriate ear protection. Still haven't recovered in 40 years. Stupid move on my part. Recoil has never really been problem for me and I am 6' and 160lbs. Shooting 3.5 inch magnums in a duck blind and SW500 short barrel revolvers have evidently dulled my senses.
Good luck on achieving your dream. Still dreaming of the Africa hunt myself.

When I was younger I shot a 416 Rigby without appropriate ear protection. Still haven't recovered in 40 years. Stupid move on my part. Recoil has never really been problem for me and I am 6' and 160lbs. Shooting 3.5 inch magnums in a duck blind and SW500 short barrel revolvers have evidently dulled my senses.
Good luck on achieving your dream. Still dreaming of the Africa hunt myself.
Thanks brother, best of luck on your dream hunt as well

BD6B89BE-1058-45CD-89F2-7F72D4B975B8.jpeg

This is the closest I have come to Africa. I was too busy working to join my buddies on their hunt. They felt so bad for me that they gave me one of their Kudos. Now I'm retired I need one in rifle sights.

View attachment 311899
This is the closest I have come to Africa. I was too busy working to join my buddies on their hunt. They felt so bad for me that they gave me one of their Kudos. Now I'm retired I need one in rifle sights.
You need to go it's so much more fun than I figured it ever could be. As for the 375 cartridge I would run a 375 Ruger.

Attachments

• 860AD0B9-8CD8-4E6F-84EE-CF49F20C4549.jpeg
    860AD0B9-8CD8-4E6F-84EE-CF49F20C4549.jpeg
    613.2 KB · Views: 70
A light 378 is what everyone needs. I owned one a 9lb hammer scoped —that was built by Texas maker Tip burns—on a left hand Weatherby Mark V . 24 in barrel and a MPI stock—it was brutal…I mean brutal with 300s. I loved the way it looked but just could not get comfortable with the rifle—after trying to sell it—I parted the rifle out…my next ultra 375 was a 375 RUM made by Bill Wiseman—Bill added a 1.5 lbs to my build and I have shot **** near all Africa has to offer with that gun. A 375 RUM at 11 lbs—whiles is not "a joy" too shoot is absolutely manageable. if I were you I'd put some trigger time in before I'd bite off something like a "lite- ish 378" . Good luck in your quest—when I was 18 I wanted to hunt the world—by the time I was 35 I had hunted most of the west, Alaska, and 2 trips to Africa…since then Europe and Asia…put your mind to it…and it will happen.

Last edited:
I built a 375 Ackley about 25 years ago to be used on a future Cape Buffalo or Kodiak Bear hunt. I finally retired and booked a Kodiak bear hunt for next year(kids and a business really postponed things). With the new powders and bullets available I've worked up a tremendous load beyond anything I worked up 25 years ago. I'm pushing a 300gr Accubonds at 2790FPS with sub MOA accuracy. Couldn't ask for anymore for Brown Bear.
And in a pinch on a trip I can still shoot standard 375 H&H ammo

Last edited:
I was looking, in the future, to hunt world wide and would need a rifle for long range dangerous game. Whether it be kodiak bear or a Cape buffalo. I want a rifle of .375 caliber and was looking at a few different chamberings namely: 375 mercenary, 375 snipetac, 375 cheytac, and lastly the 375 mjolnir. I am not an expert on these cartridges so if you won't mind, pass on some wisdom if you have any experience with these. From my limited knowledge the 375 cheytac is the parent of the snipetac and is just an improved version of it; The 375 mercenary and mjolnir are both wildcats from swamplord. It seems the Mercenary caters more to ultra long range shooting, it fits in a cheytac action and has a cheytac boltface I believe, the mjolnir on the other hand seems to be ment to be used in a lapua action but still has an impressive case capacity. If any of y'all have any knowledge of the differences between the velocities if these four cartridges Id love if you'd share your knowledge. Feel free to correct me on anything or offer any input.

-Coercionist
Ah, to be a young dreamer again...you came to the right place for information and advice, lots of really great knowledgeable guys on here!

My small contribution:

1. Learn to shoot, and I mean understand everything about velocity, energy, parabola, bullet performance
2. Learn to hunt, I started hunting jackrabbits in W. Texas with a recurve bow when I was about 10 (you can really figure out how to sneak closer doing that) and learn everything you can about your intended game animal.
3. Be realistic about where and what you can hunt right now and get an appropriate weapon. You can be a one-gun hunter or own a 15 rifle battery, but finding the intersection of what you NEED and what you can AFFORD is half the fun. I went from one rifle to about 12 then back down to 5 rifles and can hunt anything, anywhere in the world.
4. Enjoy the shooting sports of targets, long range, hunting, they will make your life much more complete than...golf or something

Have fun!

Im definitely a younger guy (18) but im 6"3. I live down south and big game hunting is something that ive always wanted to do. Im looking to travel with the military when I enlist. Im not a very sensitive person so with some practice i be able to control just about anything. I also dont like big revolvers lol but rifles are my thing.
Lightweightish 378 you won't like...but 9.5 lb. 378 Weatherby.......you will never look back! At 18 and 6'5" you should be able to ONE ARM a 15 lb gun! Join the M107 crew....everything after that is Lightweightish!😉

Ah, to be a young dreamer again...you came to the right place for information and advice, lots of really great knowledgeable guys on here!

My small contribution:

1. Learn to shoot, and I mean understand everything about velocity, energy, parabola, bullet performance
2. Learn to hunt, I started hunting jackrabbits in W. Texas with a recurve bow when I was about 10 (you can really figure out how to sneak closer doing that) and learn everything you can about your intended game animal.
3. Be realistic about where and what you can hunt right now and get an appropriate weapon. You can be a one-gun hunter or own a 15 rifle battery, but finding the intersection of what you NEED and what you can AFFORD is half the fun. I went from one rifle to about 12 then back down to 5 rifles and can hunt anything, anywhere in the world.
4. Enjoy the shooting sports of targets, long range, hunting, they will make your life much more complete than...golf or something

Have fun!
And above all else.....SAVE A TON OF MONEY! You want to be a Millionaire.....take up hunting....start with 3 million...and you can be down to 1 million...in no Time!

There's good reason why the 375 H&H is so popular worldwide- it simply works. Whilst my favourite buffalo rifle is a 458 Lott because it hits harder and I feel more confident tackling bigger game with it, it actually doesn't kill things any deader. What kills big game best is good bullets properly placed. The 375 is easy to carry and shoot in a lightweight rifle, and if your ammo doesn't arrive as happened to me in Mozambique you will be able to find some locally. And it's versatile, capable of taking a wide range of game very efficiently.

Recent Posts