Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

DanTheMan

Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to purchase the best rifle possible up to $5k (I could go higher if it met my goal explained below or half that amount in a very comparable rifle). I figure if I am going to mostly be using 1 main gun for a very long time then spend the money now and get the best. But with spending a lot of money I'm looking for the absolute best value in that price range. I'm also open to non traditional hunting rifles like reasonably weighted ELR or MPR if need be with my goals in mind. I believe these are considered more accurate typically?

Like I also stated I'm open to paying around $2500 on a factory rifle if that rifle was incredible value and very, very comparable to a much higher priced rifle. I'll give you an example with Christensen Arms brand. I know the Ridgeline or Traverse are excellent factory rifles at around $2300 and they also offer the MPR for $2400 which might be more accurate and I've read that rifle could cost double that amount for what you get. I've seen Proof Research custom rifles that range from $4k to $7k range. This again is an example of what I'm processing with any brand and trying to make the best decision on (is that extra money worth it and which brands and guns people recommend for both price ranges).

I'm set on the .300 Win Mag for my hunting needs and for that distance range so not looking for any other caliber advice. Id like to have a 26 or 27" barrel. I'm looking for the best of the best in accuracy as my main goal. I don't mind a slightly heavier gun with an ELR or MPR.

Thanks in advance as I greatly appreciate everyone's experience and taking time to respond!

Dan

Exactly what Lance recommends. I did just that with my 300 win mag. #3 Brux at 26",Holland brake, Borden action, Mcmillian game scout, jewel, NF SHV. 10 lbs 2 oz without ammo. Shoots the 215 Berger incredible at 3000 FPS.

Much appreciated and sounds like a beauty. Any particular reason you went with the Brux #3? I saw they offer quite a selection. Who do you recommend contacting to order and put a custom rifle like this together for me? Not sure if a local gun store will do or is it better to find an experienced person on a forum like this that would provide a service for me for possibly less than a store?

Do you feel that piecing this together is better than a ready to shoot system like Gunwerks as ShtrRdy suggested? They are custom and I guess it would just depend if they offer what you are all suggesting, which I would need to research.

I looked up the NF SHV, how do you like the scope and is there one you feel is better than that from NF?

Get a good Custom. Not a doubt in my mind.
Good custom action like Kelbly, Defiance, Stiller, Lone Peak
Bartlein, Brux, Kreiger steel barrel, or even a Bartlein or Proof CF wrapped
Manners or McMillan stock
TriggerTech, Bix N Andy or Timney trigger

Much appreciated. I grew up in Tucson and Scottsdale for about the first 20 years of my life, good state. Is there anyone you would recommend to help me order and put together something like this- a shop or experienced person who would do for a fee? What are your thoughts about a ready to shoot system like Gunwerks whose website says they are a custom shop compared to piecing it together?
Do you have a preference/suggestion or dream scope/tube diameter for a custom rifle like this? Budget would be $2500.

If you want a ready to shoot system, check out the Gunwerks offering. If it doesnt eet your expectations it's a single point contact to get it right.

Much appreciated. Their website is impressive. Have you had that personal experience from them or someone you know? As far as quality and accuracy, how would you rate them compared to piecing it together like it has been suggested? With their pricing I feel that I would be spending more than piecing it together. Although I could spend more than $5k I definitely would prefer not to.

Is there a dream scope/tube diameter or one that you would highly recommend for a custom rifle like this?

Much appreciated. Their website is impressive. Have you had that personal experience from them or someone you know? As far as quality and accuracy, how would you rate them compared to piecing it together like it has been suggested? With their pricing I feel that I would be spending more than piecing it together. Although I could spend more than $5k I definitely would prefer not to.

Is there a dream scope/tube diameter or one that you would highly recommend for a custom rifle like this?

Do you reload?

if you do not reload then part of what you are paying for with gunwerks is getting a " 1000 yd out of the box gun " since they do all the load development and have it ready for you when it shows up.

if you reload and already know how to do all that then you are looking at everyone else deal

i do believe mcwhorter does the load development for you as well.

you can always get a custom rifle made from anyone you choose and send it off to have a custom load done but it takes time

Check out Seekins Havak PH2 or Element,
Either in stock configuration or go thru the custom shop. Then contact Unknown Munitions for ammo or Load Development.

Other good option is R-Bros Rifles,
They can build you what you want.
also probably get you a good load to work with.

NF. NX8 on the lighter rifle, ATACR on the heavier rifle.

Last edited:
A Cooper back country rifle is a top notch factory rifle. If you want a full custom I would look at rifles from Ryan Pierce of Piercision rifles or Dallas Lane of Lane Precision rifles. Two of the best in the business and with a 5k budget you could definitely get a hell of a nice rifle from either.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.