The best factory long range hunting rifle chambered in 6.5x284?

hmbleservant

Whant do y'all think about the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter?
Should I get a special order from remington in the Sendero?
What do y'all think?

Accuracy and the ability to cycle 140 grain bergers seated to the lands are two of the most important factors.

I don't know if it's the best but my Savage Long Range Hunter in 6.5x284 is a real shooter. It is perfectly throated for, and feeds 140gr. Bergers. It took very little time to develop a load that consistently puts three rounds into 1.5" at 500 yards, cold or hot, clean or dirty. Stock isn't the greatest looking, and I hate the rubbery feel, but I really like the adjustable cheek piece. Most factory stocks do not fit me at all. This one is perfect. The accutrigger is very good! I have a friend that has experienced the same kind of performance with his. Can't beat it for the $$$.

Whant do y'all think about the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter?
Should I get a special order from remington in the Sendero?
What do y'all think?

Accuracy and the ability to cycle 140 grain bergers seated to the lands are two of the most important factors.

Been really disappointed with Rem barrel quality lately. I doubt I'll ever buy another.

Mike, you are spot on. Remington quality has slipped way down. I would not buy another. On the other hand, Savage has every year improved their quality. Its unbelievable how many guys are shooting Savages in our long range groundhog matches. I shoot a Savage .223 LRPV out to 500 meters and its accuracy is fantastic (sometimes 3 MOA or less). The 6.5x284 is a fine cartridge. I chambered one in a Savage BVSS and shot out the barrel in 1200 rounds. That is the only knock on this fine cartridge.

Another great factory rifle is the Cooper Model 21. I have one in 6mmBR that is a very good shooter.

Savage has come along way for sure. a friend of mine has one in 6.5-284 topped with a night force, the accu-trigger is nice. With his help I was able to drop a doe antelope at 680. with the apparent issues at Remington you cant go wrong with the Savage.

Since I had won my rifle in a Savage sponsored drawing I had to order mine directly from the factory. The Marketing person I spoke to said that sales were unexpectedly strong for the LRH in 6.5 x284 and they were backordered 3 months. That was in the beginning of the year and it did take that long. I was a little nervous that the pressure to supply might effect quality. It was not the case. The only thing I had to do was sand out a spot on the tip of the stock to fully float the barrel. My rifle shoots .25-.5moa with Berger 140 Hunting VLD's. at 500 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.