Best Value Long Range Hunting Rifle up to $5k

Much appreciated and sounds like a beauty. Any particular reason you went with the Brux #3? I saw they offer quite a selection. Who do you recommend contacting to order and put a custom rifle like this together for me? Not sure if a local gun store will do or is it better to find an experienced person on a forum like this that would provide a service for me for possibly less than a store?

Do you feel that piecing this together is better than a ready to shoot system like Gunwerks as ShtrRdy suggested? They are custom and I guess it would just depend if they offer what you are all suggesting, which I would need to research.

I looked up the NF SHV, how do you like the scope and is there one you feel is better than that from NF?
I went with a #3 for weight savings. It is a bit slender especially with the brake on. I'm in Canada so the only gunsmith I could recommend is RBros. They built me a 6.5x47. I was very happy with the whole process. I also had him Borden build my 6.5 Sherman. Was also a good experience. Either of those guys will build you a good rifle. I agree with others that Gunwerks May be a better option since you don't reload. I like the SHV but there's definitely better scopes out there. It's dialed good and returned to zero without any problems. I'd love a March but they're so expensive up here. I might just have to import one.

Hey Dan,
There are some great, great custom gun makers in your price range and caliber. My first choice @ $5k would be RBros https://rbrosrifles.com/rifle-packages/carbon-hunter/
A very close second is Darrell Holland https://www.hollandguns.com/CustomRifles.html
I used to work in optics, and what may be recommended by someone is the one expensive scope someone has. I have a few excellent scopes including Zeiss Conquest V6, Leupold VX 5HD, Leupold Mark V, NF ATACR, Burris XTRII, Vortex Razor, et al. I recommend going to the optics counter and trying out 3 or 4 at Dusk. You make the call. Personally, I like 30mm tubes and 50mm+/- objective lens scopes

Last edited:
Much appreciated. Their website is impressive. Have you had that personal experience from them or someone you know? As far as quality and accuracy, how would you rate them compared to piecing it together like it has been suggested? With their pricing I feel that I would be spending more than piecing it together. Although I could spend more than $5k I definitely would prefer not to.

Is there a dream scope/tube diameter or one that you would highly recommend for a custom rifle like this?
I have not had personal experience. They're outside my budget. But I've followed them for quite a few years and it sounds to me like they offer a 'one stop shop'. What you get from them works. And if it doesn't work for you they'll figure out why. That's why they cost so much.

If you have somebody build a rifle it's possible you could have a problem with it. Not likely, but possible. The rifle, scope, scope mount, ammunition all has to be working together. I've got two custom rifles. One worked out great and the other took a lot of time and money to get working.

What part of CO are you located?

Then you never touched a Kowa 88 spotting scope. Leica rifle scopes for hunters are unbelievabley overlooked.
No need to dish me Peddler. Actually I have tried both a TSN-880 & TSN-883, and my first choice remains Leica APO Televid 82mm. Plus, I have friends with Leicas on their rifles, and I was impressed. Leica RFs are also excellent.

Last edited:
I have not had personal experience. They're outside my budget. But I've followed them for quite a few years and it sounds to me like they offer a 'one stop shop'. What you get from them works. And if it doesn't work for you they'll figure out why. That's why they cost so much.

If you have somebody build a rifle it's possible you could have a problem with it. Not likely, but possible. The rifle, scope, scope mount, ammunition all has to be working together. I've got two custom rifles. One worked out great and the other took a lot of time and money to get working.

What part of CO are you located?

Very helpful, thank you. Dead center in the state, Colorado Springs. Its a great place.

if you do not reload then part of what you are paying for with gunwerks is getting a " 1000 yd out of the box gun " since they do all the load development and have it ready for you when it shows up.

if you reload and already know how to do all that then you are looking at everyone else deal

i do believe mcwhorter does the load development for you as well.

you can always get a custom rifle made from anyone you choose and send it off to have a custom load done but it takes time

I found this very interesting as I am completely unaware of these dynamics. I know people reload to find that perfect bullet that gives them the best performance and shot from their gun. When a company does load development does that mean they tell me exactly which ammo to buy or do they make rounds that work best with my gun that I buy from them?

Very helpful, thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.