Best short barreled 30 cal???

buckbuster,

Just because you can't doesn't mean it's not correct. Who says you're perfect? The number of variables is large enough that there can be significant differences in velocity which you obviously are not accounting for.

Please do not suggest that what I'm doing is dangerous. Keep your opinions to yourself. To make a statement such as yours is insulting.

:(
Empirical data AND extended primer pocket life are not welcome here.

Last edited:
The best for .30 cal cartridge? Honestly, I'd say .300 Savage due to its efficacy and effectiveness in short-barrel rifles. But... if it's how fast in the limited barrel, hands down the .300 RSAUM just me and the sweet tooth I have for both cartridges in the short-barreled rifles. Yeah, I know the .308 Win comes in between them one could nominate it as a candidate as well.
Just my thought from using all three over the years, as well as most of the other .30s calibers out there today. Cheers.

Don't tell me to settle down. And I'm not your fella!

Keep your opinions to yourself, yes you made an opinion. You're not an expert on ballistics or pressure. You did single me out if only by velocity.

You are distracting from the OPs thread by making unsubstantiated statements. Learn when you aren't an expert!

:mad:

Don't tell me to settle down. And I'm not your fella!

Keep your opinions to yourself, yes you made an opinion. You're not an expert on ballistics or pressure. You did single me out if only by velocity.

You are distracting from the OPs thread by making unsubstantiated statements. Learn when you aren't an expert!

:mad:
velocity over everything. My apologies for posting empirical results from a 30 caliber rifle.

Last edited:
1680024331468.png

Looking at building a 20" barreled 30 cal to run with the suppressor all the time. Just wondering what you guys have and maybe what some of the velocities are. I have a fair amount of N570 and Berger 215's.

There's always bad info about short barreled magnums spewing unburned powder out the muzzle.
The powder burns in the first several inches of barrel, people confuse gas expansion with burning.
You won't need anything faster than a 9 twist to stabilize bullets longer and sleeker than a 215 at velocities above 2600 fps.

Depending on your velocity goals I'd go with a 30 Nos if using a standard magnum action, or a 300 NMI if you're into trying a lapua action.
I'm sending 225 eldms over 2800 fps with Retumbo in my 19" 300 NMI.
N570 would easily be north of 2900
Did you play with h1000

I reload 300 WSM and I don't think that the case is big enough to use n570 and I kind of self limited my bullets to max of 180 gr because of the lack of fps. My go to powder for it is Magnum.

The 300 win mag might be a good choice because of availability.

Last edited:
Looking at building a 20" barreled 30 cal to run with the suppressor all the time. Just wondering what you guys have and maybe what some of the velocities are. I have a fair amount of N570 and Berger 215's.
Uses, and or purpose for the rig? What will you be hunting and to what ranges will you be taking game on a yearly basis?