Best Long Range Caliber with a short barrel?

OP has a mag bolt face and wants to keep the action that way...
I agree. He should keep it a 7mmRM with the standard length barrel, and go buy another rifle more suited to his task. That way he has 2 rifles instead of 1, both suited to different purposes.

The reason I feel this way, is because what all it will cost him to properly convert his 7mmRM rifle into what he's looking for, with a new barrel (he mentioned a different cartridge), and all the machine work, will be more than what he could buy that 20" already threaded 5R .308 that I posted a link to on page 1.

So, you can either spend all that money on 1 rifle, or spend the same money on another gun, and have 2 rifles. Personal preference, but I'd rather have 2 rifles instead of just 1.

Unless I missed it, the range and purpose (animal) weren't given. To me that makes a difference.
Budget is a major factor as well.
Lots of opinions here, mine goes like this:
I would not recommend a short barrel .308 for a long range hunting rig, especially over a .300 or 7mag (even a short barreled one). Yeah you don't maximize the larger cartridges' performance but it will still out perform the smaller case, and performance is what you want at long range. Maybe my idea of long range is different than some.
For an efficient medium range caliber I'd take that short .308 all day...I have one that is 18".
My buddy's 20" .300win can run a 210 Berger noticeably faster than my 22" 30-06 and way faster than any .308 can with the same barrel length.
If deer were on the menu then I like elkaholic's idea, but it is a wildcat and that may not be your preference.
If elk were the intended target then a .338, like mentioned prior, isn't a bad idea. My .338 RUM currently has a 20" barrel. Did it degrade its capabilities, yes it did. However, it is still a long range hammer by sending 300 grain Bergers @ 2600 fps.
I'm also not a collector, mine don't sit in a safe and "collect dust" so to speak (no offense intended if that's you, it's your money and you are into what you're into). I would much rather have a few that will cover everything (a "one ring to rule them all" type of thing), and shoot the living **** out of it!

Well, after all of the good advice in this thread I think I have came to the conclusion that I just need to keep the barrel length the same on my 7mm Rem Mag, thread it for a suppressor, and just deal with the extra length. This gun will mainly be used as a long range whitetail rig but also want the option to take it if I am able to draw an elk tag in the future.

So I think what I'm going to do is re-barrel my 6mm that I use on coyotes instead and set it up as a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5x47 Lapua in a shorter barrel setup and use it as a dual purpose whitetail/predator rifle.

Well, after all of the good advice in this thread I think I have came to the conclusion that I just need to keep the barrel length the same on my 7mm Rem Mag, thread it for a suppressor, and just deal with the extra length. This gun will mainly be used as a long range whitetail rig but also want the option to take it if I am able to draw an elk tag in the future.

So I think what I'm going to do is re-barrel my 6mm that I use on coyotes instead and set it up as a 6.5 Creedmoor or a 6.5x47 Lapua in a shorter barrel setup and use it as a dual purpose whitetail/predator rifle.

Good call!. Here's my .30 LARA with 27" barrel + 13" (IIRC) Eliteiron suppressor.

owPqeb8.jpg

I can also thread the same suppressor on my .270 AI with a 30" barrel. :D

HF73NP2.jpg

I have a Carl Gustav in 6.5x55 Swede with an 18" barrel that is quite the shooter.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Hi. First time poster from New Zealand so be gentle on me. Lots of suppressor used over here with a lot of 243s, 7mm08s, 308s etc cut down to 15-18 inches and used successfully on deer out to 300-400 yards. Even further. Plenty of 7 rem mags etc cut to 20-21 inches and suppressed. I have a mate with one at 21 inches and he is easily getting over 2900 fps with a 162 eld x. I have seen him shoot deer past 500 yards with ease. No way would I add a suppressor to a 26 inch barrel as I'm sure the overall length will drive you mad. My thoughts anyway.

Hi. First time poster from New Zealand so be gentle on me. Lots of suppressor used over here with a lot of 243s, 7mm08s, 308s etc cut down to 15-18 inches and used successfully on deer out to 300-400 yards. Even further. Plenty of 7 rem mags etc cut to 20-21 inches and suppressed. I have a mate with one at 21 inches and he is easily getting over 2900 fps with a 162 eld x. I have seen him shoot deer past 500 yards with ease. No way would I add a suppressor to a 26 inch barrel as I'm sure the overall length will drive you mad. My thoughts anyway.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Obviously, that is not the case for me; it boils down to personal choice. If I wanted to, I can use the same suppressor pictured above on my .300 WSM with 22" barrel pushing 215 Berger at 2750 FPS.

Cheers!

My 18.5" 6.5CM gives me a very respectable 2770fps MV loading a Hornady 143 ELD-X bullet in front of 42gr of IMR4451. I think it´s a great medium game rifle that can get you out to 800-900 yds. I haven't had the chance to shoot game that far, but paper and steel are piece of cake.

I tried RL-17 but MV drops to 2720 and it´s very temp sensitive. It needs a little more barrel length to reach full potential. I've been wanting to try a faster powder like target on it, but maybe after deer season ends. Right now I´ll stay with this load.

Last edited:
I get 3152 out of my hunting load in my 270ss. That's with a 150 LRAB in a 21" Barrel You may not want a wildcat though?
What powder are you using to get 3152fps with a 150 LRAB in a 21" barrel??
Have any idea what pressure is??
thx.

Thanks for your reply elkaholic..
I bought a pound of RL26 last spring to try in my .270 & .243 after reading glowing reports on 24hr.
Never got around to giving it a try due to inflammation of my knees that put me on crutches staring in mid June..
I like the idea of a 21" barreled .270, and hope my barrel is as fast and accurate with RL26 as yours..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.