• 210gr Berger

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 200gr NAB

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • 181gr Hammer Hunter

Votes: 11 12.0%

• Total voters

TXAoudadKlr

For long range hunting what do you think is the best all around 30cal bullet on the market for 300 Win Mags and larger cased 30 caliber chamberings. I know "what's best" is subjective but let's give it a go in regards to long range hunting.

I did load work, triggers and bedded around 8 or so 30-378 accumarks... the same load and 215gr Berger shot well in all of them, A few less 300 rums, and many 300 win mags.... the 215's did very well... Its hard not to like them... I only use the Hybrid Targets.... Don't fix it if it isn't broken... I have a cabinet full of bullets I bought to try and never used or just tried 10 out of a box and had to find something else... Some 30 years old..My Savage FCP 300 win was the only 30 cal magnum that didn't like the 215's it shot the old 208 amax's better...The 215's would be my first try in any 30 cal magnum rifle as a first try.. .

I had to cast a vote.

The 181g Hammer Hunter certainly is not the highest bc bullet in this group to choose from. As the lightest one it will have advantage from short through mid range over the others. There always comes a point down range where the heavier higher bc bullet over takes the faster lower bc bullet. How far that is may be farther than is needed our usable. Also what is expected of the bullet after impact has to weigh into the decision making. How the bullet performs through the entire range from muzzle to max should be considered.

An exercise worth doing is running ballistics with expected velocities for each bullet and print them so you can set them sxs and compare to determine what bullets fit you needs and style of hunting best.

Everyone stick to the 215 berger and save all the 225 and 212 for me.

Thanks
Keep the 215 Berger votes coming! I'm totally with you on that!
Just smashed an aoudad yesterday at 590 yards with 1 shot from my 300ss worked like a dream! Used same bullet/rifle combo last fall with my 1100yard mule deer and elk.
Used the 208 amax/eldm for years from 100 yards to 1000 and worked great!

I have killed many big game mammals with the 215 bergers and never had one not perform. That said, I think the 181 Hunter Hammer has a place with most hunters on here. Sometimes a flatter trajectory will help hunters be more successful at "one shot kills". I have been on quit a few hunts that guys have "missed ranged" game animals and hit way low or way high. I have ran the ballistics of the 181 Hunter Hammers and I'm very impressed.

For long range hunting what do you think is the best all around 30cal bullet on the market for 300 Win Mags and larger cased 30 caliber chamberings. I know "what's best" is subjective but let's give it a go in regards to long range hunting.
I like and have used 215gr hybirds from the time Berger brought them out. I get less pressure and higher vel, with them then the 210vld. and they work,I have taken moose,boos,black bear and grizz with them along with wolves and sheep up here.I have never had any go more then 14 feet after the round hit them

I voted Berger 215 and really like them. Think I am going to work on a Hammer 199 load for this season. Would do Hammer 215 but don't think it will fit in my set up as well.

Berger has performed well and so would say if it works don't change. I like the idea of a mono that sheds petals and ratio retains a lot of weight. Think it is best of both worlds.

I voted Berger 215 and really like them. Think I am going to work on a Hammer 199 load for this season. Would do Hammer 215 but don't think it will fit in my set up as well.

Berger has performed well and so would say if it works don't change. I like the idea of a mono that sheds petals and ratio retains a lot of weight. Think it is best of both worlds.
Can't wait to see your results from the 199 HH, until I get a faster twist on my rifle I was looking at the 199 SH

CE845CE2-CC6B-4376-84AA-CAE2BADBFCAD.jpeg
E3A0EC8C-86A9-4896-9FAD-B988F3C6E804.png
I'm going with the Eldx-212 for two reasons my new 300wm did this on its first 12 rounds down the barrel then it did this on its 15th round. I guess I have a 3rd reason the price of the Eldx was quite a bit cheaper

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.