Best 7mm or 30 cal Bullet?

If you dont handload then your options are going to be very limited.
.308 win
.300 win
6.5x.284
You will have a hard time finding factory loaded MATCH ammo for anything but these at one point in your life or another if you do any volume of shooting.

300 win is hands down the best choice. There are lots of other choices if you dont hand load. I thought of the .280 REM .284 win or .280 AI when I saw non-magnum, but without handloads it might be tough.

The 6.5x.284 will be another very good one but you said hogs and i think there tough.

I have a Remington 700 long action that I want to build into a long range rifle. Everyone keeps telling me to make a 300 Win Mag but I am trying to stay away from Magnums. Ive also been told a lot about the 6.5x284 but I am looking for something that I can get commercially because I havent started reloading yet.

I want to build something that can shoot 800+ yards.

Any and all information, advice, or sly remarks on barrel length, calibers, stocks...anything would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your help
Oliver
Easy!!! 280 remlightbulb

Just to add to the mix, I'll throw in 6mm Rem, 270, 280, and 30-06. All are non-magnum long action calibers. Just depends on how much knockdown you want. Use heavy bullets for more impact and higher bc, or light bullets for flatter trajectory. There is no wrong answer, just lots of personal opinions. You can also use short action calibers with long, high BC bullets in a long action.
Best of luck

Jeff,

Who said anything about lower BC and higher BC??? Take a 7mm 180gr Berger Hybrid and point it, and the BC is right up there with the 230gr Hybrid.

Jordon,

Have you shot any game with a pointed 7mm Hybrid? If so how did it perform?

If the OP is after a factory load then I also think the .300WM is the way to go.

In the OP, he says he's trying to stay away from magnums...... I love my mag caliber rifles too, but its nice to get answers to the actual questions. Not trying to start anything or offend anyone, so forgive me if I have.

Jordon,

Have you shot any game with a pointed 7mm Hybrid? If so how did it perform?

If the OP is after a factory load then I also think the .300WM is the way to go.

No, sir. I can't report on the terminal performance, but they do fly nicely :)

For a non-magnum chambering, I think it would be hard to beat a .280AI flinging the 162gr A-Max at 3000fps.

In the OP, he says he's trying to stay away from magnums...... I love my mag caliber rifles too, but its nice to get answers to the actual questions. Not trying to start anything or offend anyone, so forgive me if I have.
Usually if someone says no magnums it's because they don't want to get beat up by the rifle. I few of us have mentioned various 7mm's because they do not kick as hard as rifles of larger caliber.
It is very easy to throttle a rifle back; but very hard to get more out of a rifle without going terribly over pressure. Use a big enough hammer to start with, and you don't have to beat up your tools to get the job done.
If he really wants to stay away from mags and wants range, the 280 or 280 ai are very close to the only choices.

Lefty, I completely agree. At the same time, I don't think everyone NEEDS or wants a magnum. I put suppressors and muzzle breaks on mine so I can easily spot my own shots more easily. sure its fun as hell to bust coyotes with my 416 Barrett as far away as I can see them, but I can do the same with a little 22-250 or 243. In my opinion, the 280 or 280ai would be a perfect fit and are some of my favorite calibers.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts