best 7mm mag bullet

cordj549

I have allways had cheap 30 06 rifles . I recently made the leap to a new sendero 7mm rem mag with a vortex viper 6.5x20 . took the gun to score high gunsmithing had a complete diagnostics done. they glass bedded re crowned the barrel with a tactical muzzle break , badger bolt knob installed on the bolt, also a quick klip conversion kit replaces factory floor plate. trying to figure out what bullets will group best, whitch bullets have the best bc values to try, primarily hunting rifle. any advise will be well appreciated

For hunting, I'd use Barnes 150 gr TSX or TTSX Bullets and Hodgdon H1000 powder.

Best bullet so far in my 7 mag has been the Berger 180 Hybrid. G1 BC of .674 and not very sensitive to seating depth. My gun has a 9.5 twist and doesn't seem to have an issue stabilizing them so I'm sure your 9.25 would work. They are recommend for targets only though.....

The best bullet for 7 mag is a tricky question. First of all intended prey is important. There is not a magic bullet. If you are shooting deer size and smaller and inside of 400 yds the 140 grain bullets work very well. The main thing is to match the most accurate bullet from your rifle to the game you plan to harvest.

I shot the 168 gr bergers for awhile they shot great but at the time they where having alot of problems making them and you could not get them so I went back to the 160 gr Accubonds they shoot sub moa for me out to 1000 yards
I am playing with the 120 vmax for varmits so far it is going very well
retiredcpo

the 168 berger, then the 140 accubond , next a 140 berger. i have not tried that many bullets or powders though. h-4831 and re-22. everything has shot good some real good.

The 162 Amax its a great long range bullet.
Its the one I always try first.

No
Just deer and antelope.
I use my 338 lapua improved for elk.
In 7mm I would think 160 accubonds would be better for elk.

I have shot 5 white tails with my 7mm Saum loaded with 139SST. Great bullet for deer sized game. Shoot well enough in my rifle, just under 1 inch. A mostly untouched Rem 7.

The 162 SST shoots better, but I got a deal on 200 139SST. They are a great deer bullet. I would go with 160 or more for elk and moose.

Best is very objective though.

Have you used them on elk?

Thanks.
a friend of mine swears by the amax in his 7mm, last season killed a 380 bull went 10 yards or so. A couple years back killed a nice 6x6 in colorado has video of that one I have watched. did a good job I think he has video of the 380 also.

Lefty,
That is very interesting. I was thinking they may be a bit fragile for elk.
Thanks for the information.
Did your friend hit any major bones on impact?

I would have thought so as well but the video I saw the amax did a great job.
I think the further out the better on elk size creitters I think it is probably similar to the berger highly flangable @ close range high speeds

My Sendero likes the 180g Bergers. These have a very high BC. Others regularly kill Elk at long range with them. I mostly use them on paper, whitetails, and wild hogs.

Some say the Bergers can be uncooperative. But if your rifle likes them, then I think they're hard to beat.

I also worked up loads with the 168g Bergers and 150g TTSX and it shoots those fine also. But, I can't think of a situation where those would outperform the 180g Berger unless perhaps you needed the TTSX for deep penetration on a Grizzly? Or, African big game?

The good news is that there are lots of great bullets for your rifle. The bad news is that you need to start with just one and get it working before you get onto too many tangents.

Good luck!
richard

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts