Best .338 cal bullet for big game ???

angus-5024

I know this question was beat to death in years past, and I settled on the 300 grain Berger OTM for years in my .338 RUM. I haven't seen much recently though.
This year I bought a Fierce Carbon Edge in .338 LM as it is magazine fed and a lot more refined than my Remington 700, and... I just wanted one.
So seeing as I haven't really been hunting for the best bullet for about 6 years I was wondering if there were any recommendations? I was hoping to run a lighter bullet (1-10 twist will do from 225-300 on my experience) in the 250-257 range and at least 2900fps, and either mono or bonded. Trying to stay away from grenade style bullets (I now they work, I have killed a lot of critters with them).

I would really like to hear from anyone that actually has a fierce, but I don't think there are a ton of guys running them in the LM.

Thank in advanced!

I ran 225 partitions for years on elk,by far the most.Last ten plus 300 OTM ,out of a 338NM,been satisfied,almost to much damage,lota lead.Shot my bull last year with a 250 bulldozier and I think I have a 100 so Ill be trying some more.But that shot only 200 yrds so.. Long thread on here on their bullets

There's too many guys on here talking about how good the Hammer Hunters work. Guess I'm gonna order some for my 25 caliber rifle.
Better have a fast twist if you plan shooting the 116's or heavier. My 1-10 twist couldn't stabilize them, so I'm getting a Hart 1-8 twist to replace the factory barrel. The 98 and 104 grainers did great though.

I know this question was beat to death in years past, and I settled on the 300 grain Berger OTM for years in my .338 RUM. I haven't seen much recently though.
This year I bought a Fierce Carbon Edge in .338 LM as it is magazine fed and a lot more refined than my Remington 700, and... I just wanted one.
So seeing as I haven't really been hunting for the best bullet for about 6 years I was wondering if there were any recommendations? I was hoping to run a lighter bullet (1-10 twist will do from 225-300 on my experience) in the 250-257 range and at least 2900fps, and either mono or bonded. Trying to stay away from grenade style bullets (I now they work, I have killed a lot of critters with them).

I would really like to hear from anyone that actually has a fierce, but I don't think there are a ton of guys running them in the LM.

Thank in advanced!
My 338 RUM loves either 225 TTSX or
250 TTSX. Both deadly on anything i point it at. Have some Berger 300's, but haven't messed with them very much. Sorry mines not a fierce, full custom CA that I've had for years... my next batch I want to try are the Hammers, heard lots of really good feedback on them.. the real deal!

Good Luck from Texas!

Recent Posts