Best sheep/mountain gun for long range shooters

Richhymas,

Glad you had the opportunity to hunt Alaska. Sorry you didn't get your Dall sheep! Maybe next time?
I think all the lighter rifles and kit are great suggestions...here comes the but: Why set up the Straw Man " I know many of you just bring along your 12 lb gun because you are so fit you could take the bathtub along as well, but...." Buying the lighter gear costs money but really doesn't do squat for the rest of your life or even really the pain and suffering on your next hunt or in the future. Unless you have a real medical condition that precludes you from doing yourself a BIG favor for the rest of your life...spend some money on a good Personal Trainer and get in the best condition you can!
Advice from a very soon to be 72 year old who is giving you and the rest of you readers the best advice ever.

Run on all 10 cylinders not 2 or three into your seventies!

Be doubly Blessed get in shape!

Another member has a rifle for sale in 300WSM, custom built. Look's pretty nice.

Search the classified section, with the search words 'sheep slayer'. Don't know the seller, but the rifle specs are impressive for your intended uses. Heck, even I'm tempted...:oops:

You might look at Fierce Firearms CT carbon edge---5.5# guaranteed to shoot .5 MOA. I have one in 7mm-08 with 22" carbon barrel and Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS-T and Talley Rings. It comes in at #6.8 Lbs tax, title and license and it is very handy to tote. I get 2844 fps with a 145 gr Barnes LRX using RL-17, CCI BR-2 primers and Lapua brass. Also good advice on getting in shape. We hunted in N Mexico (Chama area) about 4 years ago and all our hunts were around the 8000 ft. Elevation--some grade and a little scree but it was just that skinny air...man...wheeze. Our guide said..."yeah we oughtta put on our website to walk every day for three months on your treadmill set steep and fast with a plastic sack over your head before you show up for your hunt. :).

I'm going to take on my sheep hunt a CA summit TI carbon stock, carbon barrel in a 28 nosler. I think it's like 5.5 pounds bare rifle maybe 6 pounds. Then with a scope and sling and what not I should be about 7.5 pounds

Rich,

No custom rifle required. No custom/wildcat cartridge/bullet/loading sequence/drop chart/spin drift/high-end scope required. No long-range shots required. Every guide in sheep country is going to try to get you to within 300yds and this is quite common with a bit of patience. Yah, I feel a little under-gunned with a .308 Winchester. My concern is for brown bears encountered at less than than fifteen feet...sheep are easy to drop with my setup. I run around with a sub-six pound Kimber Montana and Leupold scope and recommend a 150-175gr bullet.

You really are overthinking this one. As I like to say about Alaskan adventures: "You don't need to create drama up here--it will be provided for you free of charge!"

At 15 feet, a rifle in 308 with 180 or 200gr bullet does not make a difference from 300 Win... you'll probably be able to squeeze the trigger once if even that...get a rifle that you're comfortable shooting and that carries punch downrange and has ability to buck the wind... you are traveling in a group on a horses and don't bother about bears. If really need a larger caliber 300WSM or 300PRC are great for any of the stuff you want to use it for.

You might look at Fierce Firearms CT carbon edge---5.5# guaranteed to shoot .5 MOA. I have one in 7mm-08 with 22" carbon barrel and Vortex Viper 4-16X44 HS-T and Talley Rings. It comes in at #6.8 Lbs tax, title and license and it is very handy to tote. I get 2844 fps with a 145 gr Barnes LRX using RL-17, CCI BR-2 primers and Lapua brass. Also good advice on getting in shape. We hunted in N Mexico (Chama area) about 4 years ago and all our hunts were around the 8000 ft. Elevation--some grade and a little scree but it was just that skinny air...man...wheeze. Our guide said..."yeah we oughtta put on our website to walk every day for three months on your treadmill set steep and fast with a plastic sack over your head before you show up for your hunt. :).
As someone who lives in and hunts northern NM, this is really good advice!!!

I just got back from my first ever dall sheep hunt. It was a rough year for dall sheep in Alaska and I was one of many unsuccessful hunters this year. but I did learn many lessons. Ounces are pounds and pounds are pain. I brought along my 7.5 lb Browning X-bolt Hells Canyon Long Range with a Leupold Mark V scope and my suppressor. that was definitely more weight than I prefer to be climbing 3000-4000 feet of elevation gain in scree daily for 10 consecutive days. So that brings me to my question: for those of you accustomed to having a long range capable rifle for hunting, what rifle and optic do you use when you know ounces matter. I know many of you just bring along your 12 lb gun because you are so fit you could take the bathtub along as well, but for those looking to shed weight, what factory rifles are best when balancing weight with longer range accuracy? I would like to feel comfortable shooting at a sheep or elk out to 700 yards. (I consider that medium range for shooting, but its currently my personal limit for an ethical hunting shot given the logistics of not only making the shot in the field, but also spotting and locating the game once its down).
What guide did you go with in Alaska ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.