Best scopes for $1500 to $2000?

So when you compare the two, you prefer it over the nxs?

I do. The NXS is a great scope with proven reliability. But there are a few things that I prefer on the Credo HX. Specifically... the eye relief, zoom range, parallax adjustment, tube mounting length, and capped windage. The glass is also a little better on the Credo HX... to my eye. Individually the differences are minor, but collectively start to add up.

I moved the NXS to a 6.5 Grendel and I think it will be a better fit for how I use that rifle.

I've been looking for a relatively lightweight ~$1,000 to $1250 optic in the same mag range as you specified for a while, and haven't found anything yet that I like better than the 2.5-15 Credo HX. Its MSRP might be $1,300, but it's been available from EuroOptic for around $875 for months. Like Blackdog317, I really like the lower magnification limit of 2.5 times for field use. The more I use it the more impressed I am with it. The turret's clicks are probably the least distinct compared to the PST Gen 2 4-16, NXS 3.5-15, and ATACR 4-16s, but they're certainly not mushy. I've only taken it out to 780 yards so far, on 2/3 IPSC steel, but it tracked perfectly and the glass is quite good, roughly equivalent to the NXS. Its RTZ design can be annoying if you need to go below it's set point, but once it's set on a rifle it works well.

The NXS has been around for a really long time, but its still a really good optic. The turrets are very nice, but they only offer 10 MOA per revolution. This may be considered a con to some, but the widely spaced clicks make it very easy to dial up by feel. The antiquated illumination won't be a negative aspect to you. iI's hardly considered a light weight option, but durability is unquestionable.

I haven't touched them yet, but I plan to when I come across an SHV or Razor HD LHT.

If my optic budget can reach $2,000 and a bit of extra weight (and immediate purchase isn't needed), I'll go straight to a demo ATACR.

I've spent quite a bit of time recently looking through the Tract website. The 2.5-15x44mm FFP model has caught my interest. I don't like the reticle options in the SFP versions.

From the specs and the price they seem worth considering. I've seen them in use by James (from Barbour Creek), enough that their turret and optical quality should be more than good enough, especially at a sub $1,000 price

I had two VX5HDs back to back that had a booger appear on an internal lens. Scheels was kind enough to give me full credit on the second one towards a Nightforce NX8 2.5-20. It's a bit heavier, but so far, it seems like a notable upgrade. I haven't tried a Trijicon yet, but the Nightforce is far and above the best scope I have had to date.

I have personally had good success with Burris so far. I have had great results with the tracking under a grand. I got into them because htye have a reticle that really ticks my boxes. I have ffp but they have some light and bright SFP. Some guys say they got shipped duds, but the ones I have looked at in stores next to comparable competitors were cleaner and brighter at all powers than the other guys, reasonably light, and they came with the drop reticle I personally love. Their SFP might be not up to the tier you're looking at, but the Steiner equivalents might be. Just my findings.

I have a long running love affair for the Leupold firedot reticles. That said for my once in a lifetime wilderness hunt I will hedge my bets with bombproof and work my way down to the frills. I've had all the Nightforce scope but the ATACR. Sold them all because the eye box was so substantially worse than Leupold I hated them all. Plus the reticles are just too fine or poorly illuminated.

I read good things about Trijicon. Made to milspec so forth. I had to drive all over to handle some. I didn't think I liked the reticle from the website. Once I looked through one and turned the illumination on WOW I was sold. Had a hard time finding one. Beware if ordering from Brownells.

This scope is the 2.5-15x44. LOVE IT! I bedded this and it will never leave this rifle. Will be getting more for sure!! Also am playing with using a color coded dot from paint pen. Quite liking it so far👍👍

Last edited:
I've had good luck with my VX-5HDs. I'd consider going to a 4-20x52 instead if my 3-15x44s. I'd stay away from the wind-plex reticle, it's just a bit thick for my liking. Turrets are fine, you have to realize they're not tactical turrets, but they're effective they stop where you stop them, the zero stop is simple. They seem to track true though I haven't tried any sort of test on them, other that dialing and returning. So the adjustments might be off, but they go straight as far as I can tell.

I went on euro optics and was looking at everyone's recommendations and looking at their respective reticles. I seen this swarosko x5i massively on sale. Has anyone have any input on this one. $3700 on sale for $1900

Last edited: