Best sub 2000$ non-heavyweight rifle?

Bigeclipse

What's the best sub 2000$ rifle out there? I'm not looking for used. I will likely have to purchase using credit card. Not a penny over 2000$ Which includes tax so I guess rifles like 1850$ and less. Musts are I'm looking for the best chance of not needing to use a gunsmith for any work so a rifle which shoots well from the get go is critical. I do not want a varmint barrel but I'm also not interested in super pencil barrels. I do not shoot prone and will be shooting out of tree stands or hunting blinds out to 400 yards. Tree stands have shooting rails and I would only shoot out to 200 yards in those. A threaded barrel is a plus but not mandatory. I don't like Tupperware cheap stocks. I like a typical sport style or montecarlo style stock. I prefer non-wood stocks but don't hate wood i just prefer the durability of non wood. If they come bedded that is a plus but if they will shoot well with out that is fine as well. Nice trigger out of the box is also critical. I've been looking at a Bergara Highlander and a Montana xtreme x3 so far. Main targets will be deer. Thanks

You mention tree stands and blinds so I'm guessing white tail, hogs and maybe black bear. Its never said, neither is caliber. 400 yards? Thinking you could get in to a very nice setup with great glass for a lot less than two grand. Need a lot more info from you.

You mention tree stands and blinds so I'm guessing white tail, hogs and maybe black bear. Its never said, neither is caliber. 400 yards? Thinking you could get in to a very nice setup with great glass for a lot less than two grand. Need a lot more info from you.
At the end of my post I stated deer are my main targets. We do have black bear but they are rare. Caliber is still up in the air. I'm thinking 6.5prc or 280ai. Might go with a 7mm rem mag. Honestly not sure on caliber yet.

I really do not like buying a rifle like a tikka or savage and then having to buy a new stock and have it bedded etc. possibly have it shoot poor and have to re-barrel it. That's the reason I've decided to go higher end like the Bergara premier line.

Either a Kimber Montana or a Kimber Select would suit your requirements.
I have a few Kimberz, all have excellent triggers, are bedded from the factory and the stocks handle recoil second to none.
My 300's & 338's feel like a 30-06 when fired in the Kimber stock.
If you go this route, I recommend the Kimber bases and rings, they are much nicer than the Leupolds.

I'm not a 7mm guy, but either the 280AI or 7RM will do the job.

Cheers.

Buy a howa barreled action, order a b&c stock to your spec, have the barrel threaded and stock bedded. Should be under 1K.
I'd opt for a 308 and handload some bergers 168s.

I've been able to play with a few browning hells canyon speed rifles and they seem to fit what you are doing. They are great rifles for the money. Not sure they come I the caliber you are looking for but the two I've played with were 300 win mag.
Just looked they do come in the calibers you were looking at. Has a McMillan stock and has a radial brake on it. I am actually thinking of getting one in 300 win mag with my cabelas points.

What's the best sub 2000$ rifle out there? I'm not looking for used. I will likely have to purchase using credit card. Not a penny over 2000$ Which includes tax so I guess rifles like 1850$ and less. Musts are I'm looking for the best chance of not needing to use a gunsmith for any work so a rifle which shoots well from the get go is critical. I do not want a varmint barrel but I'm also not interested in super pencil barrels. I do not shoot prone and will be shooting out of tree stands or hunting blinds out to 400 yards. Tree stands have shooting rails and I would only shoot out to 200 yards in those. A threaded barrel is a plus but not mandatory. I don't like Tupperware cheap stocks. I like a typical sport style or montecarlo style stock. I prefer non-wood stocks but don't hate wood i just prefer the durability of non wood. If they come bedded that is a plus but if they will shoot well with out that is fine as well. Nice trigger out of the box is also critical. I've been looking at a Bergara Highlander and a Montana xtreme x3 so far. Main targets will be deer. Thanks

my vote is the bergara highlander, xbolt mcmillan, or christensen ridgeline.

I have the premier approach - love it! And their customer service is awesome. Will rebarrel for $500.

I have owned 4 xbolts, still own 1 and shot several others. Every one I have laid my hands on has been a shooter.

I have a CA BA Tactical - also love it, and the gun is a shooter. Difference between this and the ridgeline is primarily the stock and maybe the barrel contour.

I would look at a Seekins Havak PH2. They run about $1850, have a Timney trigger, threadded barrel, bedded stock, weight in around 8 pounds or so, 5R Rock Creek barrel, and are reported to be very accurate. I ordered one about three weeks ago. They come in 7mm mag or 6.5 Prc as well as other calibers.

I have a tikka T3X in .223 with a varmint contour barrel. Stock sucked so it was replaced with a manners PRS carbon elite. Comes in at 9.5lbs with no scope. I was out the door at $1750 for everything.

If you don't want to bolt stuff together the browning hells canyon is nice, seekins Havak, begara, Remington 5R, Remington sendero, Christiansen arms, etc...tons of great rifles in the $1k-$2k range.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.