THOMPSON ENCORE 308 SUB MOA rifle ?

minkman1

has any one done any long range shooting with the Thompson Encore or Contender single shot rifles ?. I was wondering if they are a sub moa gun and long distance shooting. like to get a review on guys that have shot them 600 to 1000 yards in a 308. what kind of groups you are getting. thanks. marty

No experience at all with the 308 buy I've had very good results with my Match Grade Machine 6.5 x 284 and 142 grain SMK's.

With a proper trigger job you should get sub moa.
After a trigger job mine in a heavy 26" barrel will go into 1.25 inches at 200 yards all day long if I do my part. That's in 25-06 and only 200 yards.
There's good info on mike's sight that will give you ideas on things to try.
One thing to look for is a good scope mount, my wife has talley bases on hers and it looks to have much less gap under the front of the scope mount than most of mine.
My Encore has the black plastic stock on it. This seems to be the cheapest made of all of them. The fore end is very sensitive to the torque applied to the front screws.
It will open up the group size double just by over tightening them. I bought a torque wrench in inch pounds just for this. My wife's has a different stock and hers doesn't seem to be affected as much.

not trying to hijack the thread and not belittling anyone but what is the point of these single shot rifles (encore...etc)? Are there state laws which require this? I just do not get why a person would ever want to hunt with a single shot anything unless mandated by a regulation to do so. I would have lost the best buck to date if I had a single shot. The buck was in the woods and was only 75 yards away. I shot but didn't notice a tree branch in my scope, needless to say I missed the buck he immediately took off running and stopped a second later allowing me to do a follow-up shot. Had it been a single shot, no way would I have reloaded in time.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts