Best sub 2000$ non-heavyweight rifle?

I like Browning X-Bolts.
3 lug bolts, excellent barrels and the manufacturer Miroku (Japan) had extremely precise machining. Plus amp X-Bolts feed cartridges form the center of the magazine for perfect feeding to the chamber.
All X-Bolts are glass bedded.
X-Bolt Pro models have factory lapped barrels.

Eric B.

so far leaning towards the Bergara Premeir Highlander in 6.5prc. Second place is Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5prc, and third place is Fierce fury in 7mm rem mag/28 nosler. I personally like the Fierce fury the best but I really want a 6.5prc. The highlander is everything I really want and cheaper than the other two. Im not in love with the stock color but I also don't hate it. Carbon barrel of the Ridgeline is sweet but Christensen has very hit or miss rifles.
I think that Begara will be a great rifle. It's got a prethreaded barrel and a nice Grayboe stock. You could get Grayboe to make you a long range stock for it in the future if you wanted.

Many great suggestions in this thread, I don't think you could go wrong with almost any of them. I very recently went through the same process you are for a new 300 win mag rifle.

I ended up with the Bergara Highlander Premiere.

The others in the running were:
Seekins Precision Havak PH2 (I ended up buying their scope base and rings, manufacturing is top notch)
Fierce Fury
Kimber Mountain Ascent Subalpine
Montana Xtreme Ranch
Weatherby Vanguard First Lite
Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed (ruled out due to aftermarket support)
Barrett Fieldcraft (ruled out due to caliber support)
Christensen Ridgeline (ruled out due to many people having CS issues with the barrel wrapping)
Mesa Arms (ruled out due to being too expensive)
How do you like the Highlander...I am heavily leaning towards that!

How do you like the Highlander...I am heavily leaning towards that!

Absolutely love it, Bergara does a fantastic job on their barrels coming from Spain. You will not be disappointed, it continues to shoot better and better. If I did more benchrest shooting then hunting I would go with the Approach instead of the Highlander, but I wanted to keep weight down as much as possible without losing too much barrel thickness. (I put on a M4-72 and didn't want to have a thread adapter.)

Price was also a consideration for me. If you are paying full MSRP for any of the rifles listed the Havak PH2 is probably the better choice if you are willing to go all the way to $2000. I purchase my NIB Highlander for $1300 +$20FFL out the door, which priced it closer to the Hells Canyon at Cabelas/Basspro than the Havak, that was the final selling point for me. Otherwise I was leaning more towards the Kimber Mountain Ascent Subalpine.

Hope this helps you. Though again, the rifles I listed, and definitely the Sako someone else mentioned, are all fantastic platforms you will not be disappointed in.

. . . Bergara . . .
Friend of mine has a Bergara in .308Win. Put a Nightforce scope on it and shot under .200 MOA with it from 200 yards the very first time he had it on a range. Bergaras are good rifles at a good price. I think my friend's cost under $1000; I have no idea what he paid for his refurb scope.

CA Mesa Featherweight in .308 would be a dream in the tree stands, getting in and out of box stands, pick-ups. I held one at Sportswhse awhile back. I went with the Mesa 300WM, but I live where the wind blows me around, I shoot a heavier rifle better. If I lived back in East Texas, I'd go the Meas FWT, in any caliber I could get it in! Good luck to you Pard!

CA Mesa Featherweight in .308 would be a dream in the tree stands, getting in and out of box stands, pick-ups. I held one at Sportswhse awhile back. I went with the Mesa 300WM, but I live where the wind blows me around, I shoot a heavier rifle better. If I lived back in East Texas, I'd go the Meas FWT, in any caliber I could get it in! Good luck to you Pard!

Take a look at the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide rifle. 20 inch barrel, heavy sporter contour, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, chambered in 30-06 or 300 WinMag, and it has adjustable open sights, so if you do drop it on the scope from the stand, your hunt's not over. Its more than accurate enough for shots to 600 yards and it has a laminated stock with stainless steel action and barrel. Cost is suggested retail of $1275.00. You'll have enough left over for a pretty good scope. Most of the time, it'll cost $150 to $200 less. You might also want to look at the Remington 700 in any of several calibers. I have four of them, two in .300WM, one(my favorite) in .35 Whelen, and one varmint model in 308. They will shoot quite well, and are good 800 yard rifles out of the box. Both the Rugers and the Remingtons are really hard to break, too. I'd suggest the BDL as a tree stand rifle because it has back-up open sights. Remington's been around a long time, and both Remington and Ruger know how to make good, strong, accurate rifles. Two of my Remingtons are just ADLs with blind magazines. They're both 300 WinMags. The stocks are synthetic, but stiff. The rifles are accurate and shoot less than an inch at 100 yards. The only thing I had to do to them was lighten the trigger and insure it was at a safe pull. They're meat and potatoes, but they work and they're accurate. Also, if you get an ADL or a SPS in Remington, you have money to put in a Timney trigger and a $1000.00 scope on it and still be under your budget.

Take a look at the Ruger M77 Hawkeye Guide rifle. 20 inch barrel, heavy sporter contour, threaded barrel, muzzle brake, chambered in 30-06 or 300 WinMag, and it has adjustable open sights, so if you do drop it on the scope from the stand, your hunt's not over. Its more than accurate enough for shots to 600 yards and it has a laminated stock with stainless steel action and barrel. Cost is suggested retail of $1275.00. You'll have enough left over for a pretty good scope. Most of the time, it'll cost $150 to $200 less. You might also want to look at the Remington 700 in any of several calibers. I have four of them, two in .300WM, one(my favorite) in .35 Whelen, and one varmint model in 308. They will shoot quite well, and are good 800 yard rifles out of the box. Both the Rugers and the Remingtons are really hard to break, too. I'd suggest the BDL as a tree stand rifle because it has back-up open sights. Remington's been around a long time, and both Remington and Ruger know how to make good, strong, accurate rifles. Two of my Remingtons are just ADLs with blind magazines. They're both 300 WinMags. The stocks are synthetic, but stiff. The rifles are accurate and shoot less than an inch at 100 yards. The only thing I had to do to them was lighten the trigger and insure it was at a safe pull. They're meat and potatoes, but they work and they're accurate. Also, if you get an ADL or a SPS in Remington, you have money to put in a Timney trigger and a $1000.00 scope on it and still be under your budget.

I'm a big Ruger fan. I have a Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger and it is a TANK of a gun! I believe it has the same Hawkeye action as the gun you mention. I got mine a few years ago for $900.00 at a local gun shop here in MI. The only negative is that you MUST use hearing protection while shooting. I didn't a couple times while hunting and I'm sure it has contributed to the constant ringing in my ears now. Still a great rifle though, especially for the money. Also, keep in mind that scope rings come with the rifle.

I've used it on a hog hunt. And I also took a couple nice Sitka Blacktails on Kodiak Island that I've posted on here in the past. One a 310 yards.

I would highly recommend this rifle, in your caliber of choice. Personally I like the .300 Winnie a lot.

Last edited:
I'm a big Ruger fan. I have a Ruger Guide Gun in .375 Ruger and it is a TANK of a gun! I believe it has the same Hawkeye action as the gun you mention. I got mine a few years ago for $900.00 at a local gun shop here in MI. The only negative is that you MUST use hearing protection while shooting. I didn't a couple times while hunting and I'm sure it has contributed to the constant ringing in my ears now. Still a great rifle though.
Yep, muzzle brakes will do that to you. I used to TC a Bradley, and during gunnery there's an AUX site engagement where the TC has to be half outside the turret. The muzzle blast is horrendous. A tank's is about 6 or 7 times worse. Doesn't matter what you use as hearing protection, it just hammers you. I can't shoot my Whelen without plugs either. I had a muzzle brake put on it and it literally hurts to shoot it that way. But it kills like all getout.

Yep, muzzle brakes will do that to you. I used to TC a Bradley, and during gunnery there's an AUX site engagement where the TC has to be half outside the turret. The muzzle blast is horrendous. A tank's is about 6 or 7 times worse. Doesn't matter what you use as hearing protection, it just hammers you. I can't shoot my Whelen without plugs either. I had a muzzle brake put on it and it literally hurts to shoot it that way. But it kills like all getout.

Yep, I get it. I'm sitting in my office right now as I type this. It's very quite here and I can here the ringing. Dang it!

Thank you for your service!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.