Best Rifle Out Of The Box Part two

Ok, let's see if we have this straight.

1. You pick a light weight pencil thin barrel rifle for a LR gun.

2. You pick the rifle based on the stock fit.

3. You pick a 1.5 MOA rifle and expect it to be 1/2 MOA with one specific bullet.

Hell yes you are going to have problems!

Hate to say it but that is about back assward as it gets.

Been cheaper to buy a stock and have it inletted for a gun.

You are lucky as hell that barrel likes that one bullet or you would have problems.

Ok, let's see if we have this straight.

1. You pick a light weight pencil thin barrel rifle for a LR gun.

2. You pick the rifle based on the stock fit.

3. You pick a 1.5 MOA rifle and expect it to be 1/2 MOA with one specific bullet.

Hell yes you are going to have problems!

Hate to say it but that is about back assward as it gets.

Been cheaper to buy a stock and have it inletted for a gun.

You are lucky as hell that barrel likes that one bullet or you would have problems.

Well, my friend did the same thing with the exact same rifle, changed the barrel. As mentioned he changed the barrel and uses it around the world as his go to rifle. Like I said I knew that going into this purchased, I was hoping for the best and expecting to have to change the barrel.

My whole point of the thread is that if you want a long range rifle, that fits you like a glove and shoots the factory ammo you want to use , you aren't going to get one Out Of The Box unless you are extremely fortunate! gun)

My whole point of the thread is that if you want a long range rifle, that fits you like a glove and shoots the factory ammo you want to use , you aren't going to get one Out Of The Box unless you are extremely fortunate! gun)

Words to live by, but there are several notoriously accurate factory rifles available and you happened to not choose one. But you've reached your rifle goal regardless and that is all that matters. Shoot the **** out of it and have fun!

Words to live by, but there are several notoriously accurate factory rifles available and you happened to not choose one. But you've reached your rifle goal regardless and that is all that matters. Shoot the **** out of it and have fun!

"Shoot the **** our of it and have fun" lmao, and I will hehe.

I must have visited 10 gun shops and held every model of 300 Win Mag you can imagine, just so happened that this one fit me perfectly.

Watch out Moose, Elk and Deer! gun)

KillerBee , thanks for the update . I'm glad you ended up with what you wanted . sometimes things just don't go as we want no matter how we go after it . hunting season is only 6 months away , I want to see trophy pics buddy ! Jim

KillerBee , thanks for the update . I'm glad you ended up with what you wanted . sometimes things just don't go as we want no matter how we go after it . hunting season is only 6 months away , I want to see trophy pics buddy ! Jim

No problem jimbries!

Actually I am booked on a Moose hunt this fall and I am after a GIANT, and they do happen to live where I am going, with no other hunters, can't wait! :)

Well, sometimes I hate being right especially when it costs me or a friend money.

Glad to hear though now that you are happy. Hopefully it will give you many good years and stories to tell.

I am from Manitoba and know of the company you mentioned that did your gunsmithing. When I have priced things out they have been one of the highest in the country. As far as not being able to get a full custom for under $4500, is not true. I sourced all my own parts for a 300 WM build and was WAY below $4500. Even now with the low dollar it is possible.
Stock-$1500
Barrel-$550
Action$1500
Trigger$300
Gunsmith-$350
TOTAL=$4200
Now this price is close to your $4500 estimate. This is some very nice stuff I priced and you could cut cost especially on the stock and trigger. Yes we do get shafted up here in Canada; but if you shop around it is possible. I find lots of good deals on Gunnutz. Check the classifieds and slowly collect parts.

Well, sometimes I hate being right especially when it costs me or a friend money.

Glad to hear though now that you are happy. Hopefully it will give you many good years and stories to tell.

Yes you were Wildrose, it needed a 3 contour barrel, just like you said!

I made a calculation error in previous posts on this thread. With the modifications the rifle cost me $2,240.00 CDN or $1,766.54 USD and not $3,000.00.

For that I have a long range customised rifle that fits me like a glove, I did exceptionally well if you ask me!

Kudos on the "whipping prediction" Wildrose, that is the same word my gunsmith used and for that I have a long range customised rifle that fits me like a glove, I did exceptionally well if you ask me! gun)

Last edited:
I am from Manitoba and know of the company you mentioned that did your gunsmithing. When I have priced things out they have been one of the highest in the country. As far as not being able to get a full custom for under $4500, is not true. I sourced all my own parts for a 300 WM build and was WAY below $4500. Even now with the low dollar it is possible.
Stock-$1500
Barrel-$550
Action$1500
Trigger$300
Gunsmith-$350
TOTAL=$4200
Now this price is close to your $4500 estimate. This is some very nice stuff I priced and you could cut cost especially on the stock and trigger. Yes we do get shafted up here in Canada; but if you shop around it is possible. I find lots of good deals on Gunnutz. Check the classifieds and slowly collect parts.

Maybe they charge Manitoban's more lol, they gave me exceptional rates I'll give you the break down. I have lived all over Canada including Manitoba for 7 years (miss the fishing) and have never dealt with a better gunsmith shop! This is what I paid for the barrel installed:

Wilson 30 cal 10T 2004 Contour Barrel: $300.00
Glass Bedding and Barrel installation: $200.00
Barrel Flutes: $200.00
Ceracoat:$90.00
Trigger adjustment DOWN TO 2 lbs.: N/C
Total cost: $790.00

Plus the Out of the Box Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag I purchased on sale at Cabelas in December (gifted myself hehe) $1,450.00 for a total of $2,240.00 vs. your $4,200.00! Looks like I know what I am doing eh? You will be very hard pressed to get what I now own anywhere in Canada for that price. :)

I will post a picture of her when I get her back in a week, her name is SuzieQ gun)

Last edited:
Should have mentioned, when I get my gun back with the original (spare Weatherby) barrel, I will be using it as my new Poker Iron for the fireplace! lol

$2,240 is not bad at all for a really good fitting, good shooting rifle... at least up here. I know RMR is a little pricey, but there name is solid and you know its done right. I have taken things in to local smiths in Vernon and Kelowna and had them do A) a hack job that I come home and fix or B) do some very nice work that I told them specifically not to do, and then charge an arm and a leg for it.

In Western Canada, as far as I am concerned, if you pay 2x more than what they do in the states for the same rifle your doing good.

With ANY factory rifle you have potential to get a lemon. Every rifle I have ever bought I assume a 25% chance that I am buying a new barrel and getting it blueprinted. Fortunately I am very luck and have never had to... but I buy remingtons and tikkas:D.

Ya I heard that Tikka's have great and very accurate barrels, their stock it a piece of dog poo though.

I was thinking of buying a Tikka and having a new stock put on it, but I liked the stock on the Weatherby so much and it fit me perfectly and the price was so good that I decided to go that route instead.

As far as I am concerned Corlane Sporting Goods Gunsmiths are the best in Western Canada! :)

I received my 21 year old model 70 stainless back from the Rocky Mountain Rifle shop a couple of weeks ago. I sent it there late last fall requesting a new barrel, accurizing the action, and a timney trigger. The plain jane plastic stock was bedded when I first purchased the rifle. To the naked eye nothing special 24'' fluted #3 contour Wilson barrel. Receiver squared, threads re-cut, bolt face squared. They also drilled and retapped scope ring mounting holes to 8-40 and lapped the Talley one piece light weight rings. Played with 4 different powders and several bullets and weights and this thing shoots unreal. You could spend a lot more money and not likely going to get a rifle that shoots any better. I don't know these guys from a hole in the ground but they lived up to their reputation and then some!

Attachments

• 300 win 005.jpg
    300 win 005.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 67
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts