Best Rifle Out Of The Box Part two

KillerBee

Hello Guys,

Weatherby NOT the best out of the Box!

Well I have not been here for a while and wanted to give you a report on my Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag. It have been quite the ordeal and that is for SURE!

I sent my rifle to my gunsmith who specializes in setting up long range rifles, he also makes his own custom made long range rigs, Known as the Rocky Mountain Rifle. I wanted him to test it at long range (750) yards and to set up my Huskemaw Blue Diamond scope and to etch the turret and this is where all the fun began.

First he shot my rifle @ 200 yards and reported that the rifle was not shooting sub MOA with the bullets I want to shoot out of it, which are the Nosler Accubond ABLR 190 Gr. The rifle was shoot 1.5 MOA at best, which is not acceptable for a long range rifle. Weatherby only guarantees that the rifle will shoot 1.5 MOA or better so I was not surprised.

Second we decided to Glass bed and free float the barrel, hoping that this would achieve sub MOA. Next report after shooting it is that @ 200 yards the rifle was shooting 7" groups @ 200 yards ***???? Well we came to the same conclusion that was discussed with Wild Rose and that was that the barrel contour was too light to shoot the load I wanted, this in turn was creating a whipping effect that when free floated completely destroyed the rifle accuracy.

Third since my gunsmith makes his own brand of rifle we decided to replace the barrel with a 3 contour Wilson barrel which they fluted and ceracoated. Off to the range! Well I just got the report back from my gunsmith yesterday. @ 200 yards the rounds are now touching and @ 750 yards the rifle is shooting under 5" groups, hallelujah!

So now I am happy to say that I have a long range lightweight rifle. The weight with the Huskemaw Blue diamond 5-20x50 and ready to hunt is now 9 lbs. and it is shooting sub MOA with the Nosler Accubond ABLR 190 Gr. I selected the ABLR's because @ 800 yards I am maintaining 1400 FPE, making this rifle a true lightweight and hard hitting long range rifle that fits me like a glove. Cost for my new rifle with all the improvments and better barrel $3,000.00.

In the end, spending $3,000.00 dollars to have a rifle that shoots sub MOA and only weighs 9 lbs. isn't that bad I guess???

My advice to anyone that is thinking of buying a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag and expecting it to be a long range shooting, lightweight rifle Out Of The Box is NOT TO DO IT unless you are prepared to replace the barrel and spend the same on the modifications as you did on the rifle in the first place!

Last edited:
Who would have ever thought that a high-dollar Weatherby wouldn't shoot? :cool:

I tried to warn yall, and I hate it that someone else got took for a ride by them.

Glad to see you got it shooting now, after having to replace the barrel.

I would not consider it a mistake, as much as I consider it a case of (hopeful thinking and optimistic with my fingers crossed) scenario.

The way I look at it is that I had a 50/50 chance to get a sub MOA rifle, I had factored in that I may have to replace the barrel. After all of the rifles that I went out and held this on met my criteria the best. It fits me like a glove and only weighs 9 lbs now, befor the new barrel it weighed 8 lbs. 4 oz.. If I had od gone the custom route I would have spent substantially more then $3,000.00. I did pick up the rifle in sale for $1,450.00 which is a smoking price. Same rifle selling today at Cabelas is $2,000.00 so I did manage to save $550.00 on my initial purchase in December :)

A friend of mine owns one as well, he also replaced the barrel, now he hunts with it all over the world to include Africa and it is one of his go to rifles. Also I will be confident in shooting it at Moose and Elk out to 1000 yards with complete confidence.

Would I do it again, probably NOT haha

does the 3000 include the scope? what was your original thread/post? I have not found a real accurate load for my mark v .257. it is pretty though. if I wanted accurate I would have bought a sendero. light and accurate.

does the 3000 include the scope? what was your original thread/post? I have not found a real accurate load for my mark v .257. it is pretty though. if I wanted accurate I would have bought a sendero. light and accurate.

I looked at a Sendero, did not like it at all because it did not fit me. I would never buy a rifle that didn't fit me like a glove, under any conditions. I purchased the Huskemaw before the price went up on them and I paid $1,400.00 for it in 2011 and I love it!

I did look to custom rifles, but the ones I liked started at $4,500.00 and went up from there.
You could get a small-time local gunsmith with a good reputation to build you a custom for about 1/2 that. Will it have a famous name associated with it? No, but it should still shoot great, if he does his part.

And I agree with Feenix, which is why I didn't rebarrel my Accumark. It was a pile of crap from the trigger to the crown, so I scrapped it.

In Canada where I am from you will not get a good custom made rifle made for under $4,500.00 CAD, trust me I did the research!

I am sure it is different in the states. By the way today $3,000.00 USD is $3,800.00! Canadian!

So converted the other way I paid $2,367.00 USD for my rifle. Not that bad at the end of the day :)

Last edited:
You could get a small-time local gunsmith with a good reputation to build you a custom for about 1/2 that. Will it have a famous name associated with it? No, but it should still shoot great, if he does his part.

And I agree with Feenix, which is why I didn't rebarrel my Accumark. It was a pile of crap from the trigger to the crown, so I scrapped it.

In Canada where I am from you will not get a good custom made rifle made for under $4,500.00 CAD, trust me I did the research!

I am sure it is different in the states. By the way today $3,000.00 USD is $3,800.00! Canadian!

So converted the other was=Y I paid $2,367.00 USD for my rifle. Not that bad at the end of the day :)

Ya don't find those guys through an internet search, gotta know someone who knows someone. I'd opt for this route for 2 big reasons.. 1) price 2) your ability to build a relationship w/ the smith. I think there's a lot to be said about #2, I couldn't imagine ordering a custom from a website where I've never have had a convo w/ the smith. But thats just me.

Ya don't find those guys through an internet search, gotta know someone who knows someone. I'd opt for this route for 2 big reasons.. 1) price 2) your ability to build a relationship w/ the smith. I think there's a lot to be said about #2, I couldn't imagine ordering a custom from a website where I've never have had a convo w/ the smith. But thats just me.

Could not agree more buddy. I trust my Gunsmith COMPLETELY! I only paid $300.00 for the Wilson barrel and when he chambered it, he chambered it to match the Nosler ABLR exactly.

In the end I wanted a sub MOA lightweight 300 Win Mag that fit me like a glove and would work with the ABLR because their performance is awesome for a factory load and I do not reload. Took a lot of work to get there though!

Out Of The Box would never have happened.

Well said! I am fortunate that I have about 5 reputable gunsmiths within an hour's drive from me, one of which is only 2 miles away.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.