best 308 cal out of the box ?

When getting into this sport I tend to lean twards your first rifle being cheap to shoot, easy to reload for/get ammo, and good barrel life.

Punching paper, well you might get into our local F-class comps. at 1000yds. Then I would get one of savages specialty rifles.

For a repeater I like the savage BVSS. Laminate stock, blind mag repeater. I would pillar bed the stock and change the recoil lug and you have a rifle that will perform very very well. Add a Karsten cheek piece and you will have a excellent shooter. It would look something like this: This is 6.5X284 I had

S5000008-1.jpg

I had about $1000 invested with rings and bases.

Brent

I would go with a 6br for the most accurate an cheapest to shoot in a benches stock .I know its a little heavy but the results are well worth the weight .6Br has been a well proven winner in the benchresst shoots. It has won a lot of matches an the small case doesn't hold much powder . Savage makes a great rifle ,I own several an really like them ,they are my go to gun for accuracy.

Last edited:
A little elbow grease, proper tools, and some research will build you one of these on your own work bench:

Savage Mod 12 Low Pro Action
Stockade Lift kit and bolt knob
SSS .240 Recoil lug
Weaver Tactical Rings
EGW 20MOA Picatinny Rail
Custom Break
Bell & Carlson Stock Medalist A2
Lothar Walther SS Match barrel 1:12
Caliber: .308 Win.
Vortex Viper 6.5-24x44 w/Target Dot 1/4MOA adj.
Harris 9-13" Swivel bi-pod
Horus ASLI level and cosine indicator
Johnspics3-10-11025.jpg

Custom break of a local smith and their own design. Ports are going the wrong way, but seems to help.
Johnspics3-10-11027.jpg

The Stockade bolt. Wish I got the bigger one, but this one works well. I also have the lift kit that you can't see. It's internal.
Johnspics3-10-11028.jpg

The only part of assembly I did not do is the break and timing it on the barrel. I did however time the bolt, and set the headspacing. I also had to do a little detailing work to the stock so that the action set down into the aluminum block properly. The lift kit for the bolt is an easy install as well as putting on the new bolt handle. It is a single shot now as it was designed for DBM, and I can't seem to get a blind mag to work right. Oh well, seeing as it shoots in the .2 to .4 inch groups at 100 yards right now, not to concerned with that:cool:.

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.