Best Rifle Out Of The Box Part two

Your old rifle with that beautiful Schnabel stock.

The rifle is a 30-06 P17, the same rifle that Sargent York used to kill all of them Kruats in WWI. The Schnabel style stock was hand crafted by a gunsmith his name is Klaus Hiptmayer, his wife did the engraving on the butt plaque. gun)

Kicks like a mule! lol

don't need to have to think I prefer to go on instinct and skill

Me too....

FB_IMG_1453103920464.jpg

The rifle is a 30-06 P17, the same rifle that Sargent York used to kill all of them Kruats in WWI. The Schnabel style stock was hand crafted by a gunsmith his name is Klaus Hiptmayer, his wife did the engraving on the butt plaque. gun)

Kicks like a mule! lol
Ok, I can see that now. I know it as the M1917.

They are definitely known to kick far harder than an 06 should, something about the geometry of the action just doesn't lend to tolerable recoil.

I thought Dad's 06 had killed me that first shot but I was just a little squirt and the heavies recoiling rifle I'd shot prior to it was the old Remington Woodmaster semi auto in 243.

Hell of a wake up call it was!

I have always flat out loved the Schabel and until a guy has shot them free hand he'll never understand that it's really a marvelous practical modification that is quite valuable. Even wet you'd be hard pressed to lose your grip on the fore end with a Schnabel stock.

All of my Ruger No 1's had them so I learned to really appreciate them quick shooting prairie dogs.

Ok, I can see that now. I know it as the M1917.

They are definitely known to kick far harder than an 06 should, something about the geometry of the action just doesn't lend to tolerable recoil.

I thought Dad's 06 had killed me that first shot but I was just a little squirt and the heavies recoiling rifle I'd shot prior to it was the old Remington Woodmaster semi auto in 243.

Hell of a wake up call it was!

I have always flat out loved the Schabel and until a guy has shot them free hand he'll never understand that it's really a marvelous practical modification that is quite valuable. Even wet you'd be hard pressed to lose your grip on the fore end with a Schnabel stock.

All of my Ruger No 1's had them so I learned to really appreciate them quick shooting prairie dogs.

The Schnabel stock is super comfortable, and mine is a work of art. I am retiring the rifle because I am getting it too scratched up.

Some people call the P17 a M1917, lots of opinions on what to call it. All I know is that because mine is a heirloom it is priceless.

Almost everything I have shot with it folded in it's tracks. As for the kick, after 4 shots I start getting bruised. When I bought my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM with the nice recoil pad, to me it was like shooting a pellet rifle compared to my 30-06 lol

The Schnabel stock is super comfortable, and mine is a work of art. I am retiring the rifle because I am getting it too scratched up.

Some people call the P17 a M1917, lots of opinions on what to call it. All I know is that because mine is a heirloom it is priceless.

Almost everything I have shot with it folded in it's tracks. As for the kick, after 4 shots I start getting bruised. When I bought my Browning Mountain Ti 300 WSM with the nice recoil pad, to me it was like shooting a pellet rifle compared to my 30-06 lol
No doubt on any of those points. The stock is truly a work of Art.

Guys like me remember military rifles based on US military nomenclature so that's why I was stuck.

The metal on that action looks to be remarkably good for it's age. Have you ever scoped the barrel? Is it original?

I've seen many of them that were and looked like a rusted out cast iron sewer pipe but still shot surprisingly well.

That rifle is living firearms history for a whole lotta reasons.

No doubt on any of those points. The stock is truly a work of Art.

Guys like me remember military rifles based on US military nomenclature so that's why I was stuck.

The metal on that action looks to be remarkably good for it's age. Have you ever scoped the barrel? Is it original?

I've seen many of them that were and looked like a rusted out cast iron sewer pipe but still shot surprisingly well.

That rifle is living firearms history for a whole lotta reasons.

The barrel was never scoped it is original, my father had the barrel blued.

My P17 shoots sub MOA all day long and my father killed his first Moose with it when he was 14, that was 68 years ago. I have personally killed over 50 deer and 7 moose with it. :)

Historic it is and I feel blessed to own one as beautiful as mine, it is a one of a kind and none other like it on Planet Earth!

Last edited:
Hey Wildrose, because you called my rifle a M1917 and I call it a P17 (which stands for Pattern 17) and I have had people refer to it as simply an Enfield, I did some research on the good old internet and found this video which discusses my rifle in detail.

Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mM9LRs31JYU

Mine has a crown stamped on it so I am thinking that it was rechambered in Britain, and that the crown is a mark that it passed some sort of inspection. Now I know why Alvin York called it the British gun! I believe that the British referred to it as the Pattern 17 or P17. All I can tell you for certain is that I have killed some pretty big moose with it and have dropped them in their tracks, so I can only imagine the devastation and the havoc it wreaked on humanoids.

My father told me that this particular rifle has such perfect rifling that it was used as a sniper rifle, after watching the clip I posted I am thinking probably during the Korean War.

It is ultra cool hunting with a rifle like mine and I have always wondered how many people it killed. When I hunt with it, I feel like my father is with me since his signature is engraved on it. Although I am retiring it I am sure it will only be a semi-retirement, because when I want to go deer hunting with dad, all I have to do is take it with me so this gun has more hunting to do. When it's my turn to meet my make, then I will pass it on to a family member so they too can experience history while feeding their family.

The ammo I have always used are the Winchester Super X Power Points in 165 and 180 Gr. My rifle loves them, the animals resent them. hehe

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.