Best Rifle Out Of The Box Part two

After reading all these responses I've concluded that anyone who buys any off the shelf rifle is nuts..and the more you spend the crazier you are !! If you have a 700 action your far far better off to rebarrel, retrigger, restock it than spending $1000's for an off the shelf anything...as far as off the shelfers dollar for dollar for hunting big game, cheaper is better in the long run.. A $300.00 bolt in .300 win mag will kill just as good as a $1500.00 any big game..even if it shoots two inch groups at 100 yards your better off and keep you money.

Frank... I tend to agree with you... However there have been a few rifles my son and I've tested which are a heck of a lot of gun for the money... Right off the rack. The savage hog hunter is one that I'll be getting up footage for soon, and we just got up some footage of the Ruger American Predator... Which I must admit, is tough to beat for the price... $400 and less.

Check out this video and see if you concur. Well said sir.

https://wwww.youtube.com/watch?v=4g-jSDBTw4A

This is the problem with off the rack rifles "THE FIT!"

While researching my new rifle I basically handled every brand name out there, the only one that fit me perfectly was the Weatherby with the Bell and Carlson stock. In my view an inexpensive rifle that shoots sub MOA and doesn't fit you perfectly is worthless.

I would never hunt with a bow that didn't fit me perfectly. I would never play golf with clubs that didn't fit me perfectly, heck I wouldn't ever buy a bicycle that didn't fit me perfectly. So I definitely never buy any rifle that did not fit me perfectly!

The only rifle that I purchased off the rack that fit me perfectly and was a sub MOA shooter was my Browning Mountain Ti in 300 WSM, but it did cost way more the $700.00, more like $1,700.00. That rifle was a beauty and I loved it!. The only issue with it, is that it was not a 1000 yard rifle and I upgraded to get more energy downrange.

With that said, if you can find a sub MOA rifle that fits you perfectly and shoots the factory ammo you want to use for under $700.00 that is definitely a rifle that I would buy! :)

Last edited:
This is the problem with off the rack rifles "THE FIT!"

While researching my new rifle I basically handled every brand name out there, the only one that fit me perfectly was the Weatherby with the Bell and Carlson stock. In my view an inexpensive rifle that shoots sub MOA and doesn't fit you perfectly is worthless.

I would never hunt with a bow that didn't fit me perfectly. I would never play golf with clubs that didn't fit me perfectly, heck I wouldn't ever buy a bicycle that didn't fit me perfectly. So I definitely never buy any rifle that did not fit me perfectly!

The only rifle that I purchased off the rack that fit me perfectly and was a sub MOA shooter was my Browning Mountain Ti in 300 WSM, but it did cost way more the $700.00, more like $1,700.00. That rifle was a beauty and I loved it!. The only issue with it, is that it was not a 1000 yard rifle and I upgraded to get more energy downrange.

With that said, if you can find a sub MOA rifle that fits you perfectly and shoots the factory ammo you want to use for under $700.00 that is definitely a rifle that I would buy! :)
Factory rifles are designed to fit the average person comfortably and that's about it.

For a perfect fit you're going to spend a lot more money.

x's INFINITY :D

I agree with you guys about the fact that anything that fits better is going to assist in accuracy and consistency, however I also agree with Frank in that there are those in the long range community that seem to push the idea that only an expensive rifle will work for long range shooting, many times in the multi thousand dollar range.

I've seen some crazy accurate expensive rifles... And I've seen some crazy accurate inexpensive rifles. Fit can make a difference, but there are numerous fundamentals that I personally believe play a larger role when it comes to accurate shooting. I'm not even going to start listing because most of you have been around long enough to know what I'm talking about.

A $400 3.5" gun @ 500 yards is an exceptional value, regardless of fit. I encourage people to spend their money the way they want, but at the same time, I think there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to what it takes rifle wise in order to shoot accurately at long distance.

That's my take anyways.

Boss

Give me a $400.00 set of golf clubs that fit me perfectly and I will shoot a round in the high 70's to low 80's. Give me a $3,000.00 set of men's regulars and I will shoot a round in the High 90's.

I am not a range or competition shooter, I am a meat hunter. When it comes to killing animals that have as much right to live as I do, I want a rifle that fits perfectly to minimize shooting error and to ensure a clean kill every time especially at shots that are over 500 yards, x's infinity. That's just me.

My gun smith told me that the Tikka T3 are very accurate and are only $896.98 at Cabelas here, so I went to Cabelas to see if it fit me and if it did I was going to buy one. Did not fit me at all, so I passed on it. Also I just can't understand why they would put cheap synthetic stocks on their rifles, feels and looks like cheap plastic from Chynaaaaaaaaaa. Gotta love Trump lol.

Would have been great to find a sub MOA rifle that fit me perfectly and that only cost $400.00, no such luck. If I was of average size and build I most likely could have found a rifle that cost less then what I paid for mine.

When it comes to scopes for long range shooting, quality matters. You have to pay to get that, no way around it.

KB

am5GzkHl.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with you guys about the fact that anything that fits better is going to assist in accuracy and consistency, however I also agree with Frank in that there are those in the long range community that seem to push the idea that only an expensive rifle will work for long range shooting, many times in the multi thousand dollar range.

I've seen some crazy accurate expensive rifles... And I've seen some crazy accurate inexpensive rifles. Fit can make a difference, but there are numerous fundamentals that I personally believe play a larger role when it comes to accurate shooting. I'm not even going to start listing because most of you have been around long enough to know what I'm talking about.

A $400 3.5" gun @ 500 yards is an exceptional value, regardless of fit. I encourage people to spend their money the way they want, but at the same time, I think there is a lot of misinformation out there when it comes to what it takes rifle wise in order to shoot accurately at long distance.

That's my take anyways.

Boss
To the highlighted, that really depends on the shooter. There are a hell of a lot of shooters that simply can't hit squat without custom fitted rifles and shotguns but whom are almost magic with them.

I think a whole lot of it has to do with your initial training and experience when you first start shooting.

Those of us who always had to make due with whatever antiques Dad/Granddad provided learned to maximize whatever potential those heirlooms had and to adapt to what we have rather than adapting what we have.

The fundamentals are essential but if you can't get comfortable with a rifle particularly it can be hell to hit anything because you never just settle in behind the gun and let it flow.

I was at the local gunsmith's shop hears ago with some clients who needed some quick work done and one of them was bragging to him about me killing a running coyote at a few paces shy of 500yds in a horrible crosswind with my first shot from a new CZ527 .204 Ruger. The guy's a complete *** and says, "That isn't good shooting, it's a one in a million miracle" to which the client replies, "We've been hunting with Mr. Rose for over a decade and let me tell you, he gets lucky a lot"! I couldn't stand that jackass and to see the look on his face was an utterly and completely priceless moment.

The guy was good at what he did including building some incredible bench guns and he was always ready to tell you just how good he was. He was on a coyote hunt with us once and missed 17 consecutive shots on dogs with a "hunting rifle" and it was always because this or that was wrong with the gun the rest, the yada, yada, yada. To his credit though he set quite a few records in benchrest competition and more were set with rifles he built but he couldn't hit anything unless everything was just perfect.

To the highlighted, that really depends on the shooter. There are a hell of a lot of shooters that simply can't hit squat without custom fitted rifles and shotguns but whom are almost magic with them.

I think a whole lot of it has to do with your initial training and experience when you first start shooting.

Those of us who always had to make due with whatever antiques Dad/Granddad provided learned to maximize whatever potential those heirlooms had and to adapt to what we have rather than adapting what we have.

The fundamentals are essential but if you can't get comfortable with a rifle particularly it can be hell to hit anything because you never just settle in behind the gun and let it flow.

I was at the local gunsmith's shop hears ago with some clients who needed some quick work done and one of them was bragging to him about me killing a running coyote at a few paces shy of 500yds in a horrible crosswind with my first shot from a new CZ527 .204 Ruger. The guy's a complete *** and says, "That isn't good shooting, it's a one in a million miracle" to which the client replies, "We've been hunting with Mr. Rose for over a decade and let me tell you, he gets lucky a lot"! I couldn't stand that jackass and to see the look on his face was an utterly and completely priceless moment.

The guy was good at what he did including building some incredible bench guns and he was always ready to tell you just how good he was. He was on a coyote hunt with us once and missed 17 consecutive shots on dogs with a "hunting rifle" and it was always because this or that was wrong with the gun the rest, the yada, yada, yada. To his credit though he set quite a few records in benchrest competition and more were set with rifles he built but he couldn't hit anything unless everything was just perfect.

I concur with you wildrose! You are very likely correct regarding your premise. I grew up when precision rifles were something snipers used in the movies... And I just shoot a lot. For instance, in the video I'll post below... It's my first time behind the rifle, I tossed on a 3-10x scope I had on an AR, and took it out to the range. I'm 6'3 so the rifle definitely isn't a perfect fit for sure, but using fundamentals...even with my head lifted in an odd position due to the high AR mount, the rifle still performs quite adequately. I was impressed with it for an inexpensive firearm. 3.4"'@ 500 yards will easily put meat in the freezer out to 700-800 given I spend a little time learning how it handles wind.

[ame]https://youtu.be/4g-jSDBTw4A[/ame]

Wild rose this is the Antique which my beloved father handed down to me. It is a P17 and it is 100 years old with a hand carved custom Walnut stock. I have dropped moose with it freehand at 500 yards. The stock cost thousands and fits me like a glove, she is retired now, SuzieQ will pick up from when my heirloom left off. Gotta love your parents and the gifts they give you :) gun)

UGA, good shooting in your video, but that type of shooting is a world apart from the type of shooting I do! In hunting situations I don't have all day to settle in, typically quick shooting. Fit matters, don't need to have to think I prefer to go on instinct and skill.

9Nojmexl.jpg

60N8SEKl.jpg

trsTmvZl.jpg

I concur with you wildrose! You are very likely correct regarding your premise. I grew up when precision rifles were something snipers used in the movies... And I just shoot a lot. For instance, in the video I'll post below... It's my first time behind the rifle, I tossed on a 3-10x scope I had on an AR, and took it out to the range. I'm 6'3 so the rifle definitely isn't a perfect fit for sure, but using fundamentals...even with my head lifted in an odd position due to the high AR mount, the rifle still performs quite adequately. I was impressed with it for an inexpensive firearm. 3.4"'@ 500 yards will easily put meat in the freezer out to 700-800 given I spend a little time learning how it handles wind.

https://youtu.be/4g-jSDBTw4A
Getting used to high mounted scopes on tactical rifles when you're used to being able to lay your cheek into the comb takes a lot of doing which is why you used to see a hell of a lot of 100mph tape over whatever we could find to pad and raise the comb... . gun) I killed my first deer when I was 8 shooting dad's forty year old Rem 760 pump 30-06with the original 4x weaver. He was convinced I was shooting a stump because he couldn't see the deer and he thought he was going to teach me a real lesson.

Well of course it kicked like a mule flat knocking the snot out of me (I probably didn't weigh 75lbs yet) and I thought the impact between my head and the ground was going to be fatal but as sure as shoot'n in a couple of minutes I had my whits about me and took dad on a walk to show him my deer.

About a hundred yards out he was trying to find the stump I killed but I kept walking and just shy of 300yds out sure enough he was laying their stone dead shot straight through the bottom of his heart. Another three inches low and I'd have been one disappointed kid but I'd held right on the top line of his back inline with the shoulder and elbow and got a solid hit.

As soon as he got there and saw the deer he told me about the stump and the lesson he was going to teach me and it might have been the proudest I ever saw him in my entire life when he told my my first shot was more than twice as far as he'd ever managed to hit anything.

Got the bloody cross on my forehead and ate fresh grilled backstrap that night and of course I'll never forget it.

I'd spent three years shooting prairie dogs with an open sight Rem 572 .22 to get ready for that hunt and man did it ever pay off.

That's my take anyways.

Boss

+1! The "NUT" behind the trigger still remains a considerable factor. :):Dgun)

[ame]https://youtu.be/TVMCBEe0E_4?t=3[/ame]

Wild rose this is the Antique which my beloved father handed down to me. It is a P17 and it is 100 years old with a hand carved custom Walnut stock. I have dropped moose with it freehand at 500 yards. The stock cost thousands and fits me like a glove, she is retired now, SuzieQ will pick up from when my heirloom left off. Gotta love your parents and the gifts they give you :) gun)

UGA, good shooting in your video, but that type of shooting is a world apart from the type of shooting I do! In hunting situations I don't have all day to settle in, typically quick shooting. Fit matters, don't need to have to think I prefer to go on instinct and skill.

9Nojmexl.jpg

60N8SEKl.jpg

trsTmvZl.jpg
Beautiful piece of work! Is that a Sako?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.