Opinions on a good out of the box 308.

I gather Remington has stopped making the R5? If so what did they replace it with?

It's a dealer special rifle. It's not listed in their catalog. They only make 1 run per year of them. So you gotta get it when you find one for sale. Kind of a right place at the right time thing.

Of all the rifles mentioned above the only one I saw that IMO is out of the box accurate and reliable for up to 600yd shooting is the 700PSS. I went for the LTR version because I just can't stand long barrels and the 20" barrel makes the rifle quite handy.

There are always a pile of both models for sale on Gunbroker. They also have GREAT resale value in case you get tired of punching ragged holes and want to try something else.

BTW... I also have a PSS LTR in 223 with 9" twist and it is a genuine one holer... Most accurate rifle I ever owned and boys, I've had a few... ;)

Bob

its a good rifle I have one in 06 I got moa with factory ammo (cheap stuff) and sub moa with fed gold medal match, and clover leafs with hand loads, I haven't done anything to it but installed a scope and barrel break in. I wish I could get my trigger below 3.5# but its ok I was thinking of bedding the action to see if I can get a little more out of her I've been running 200gr.smks in her thinking it could use a tightening up at the recoil lug....

I hear you! Last year, I steered 4 of my friends to our local Bird R store and they all ended up purchasing one (one -06 and three .270). They had a Veteran's Day sale (extra discount for vets :D) + a voucher ($75 ???), IIRC it ended up $375 or something like that. I had to restrain myself for not buying as I allocated the money for another project.

If they have the same sale again, I'll get me another -.06 or .308. :cool:

I hear you! Last year, I steered 4 of my friends to our local Bird R store and they all ended up purchasing one (one -06 and three .270). They had a Veteran's Day sale (extra discount for vets :D) + a voucher ($75 ???), IIRC it ended up $375 or something like that. I had to restrain myself for not buying as I allocated the money for another project.

If they have the same sale again, I'll get me another -.06 or .308. :cool:
my next TC Venture will be a 7rm or 300wm

Weatherby V S2 over the Howa

but

Either.

Plan to change the stock if you get plastic.

Don't get an Axiom. Looks cool works very poorly on the V S2 or Howa.

The Hogue on the Howa is excellent. Honestly the only reason to go Weatherby IMO is the price point tends to be comparable or a bit better. I don't mind the HACT trigger on the Howa one bit and it's floated which I like. I got mine straight from Howa on pro form though

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts