Best Rifle Out Of The Box Part two

Morning, I own 4 wbee's. I bought a new accu-mark in 340. I researched a load.

found one. I like barnes bullets, no sorry's the bullets kill very well. I use the 215gr.

LRX., weatherby brass, 215 primer 4831sc, seated to the 3rd groove on the bullet.

sight in 3 rounds. put 3rounds in .635. brand new out of the box.

Nikon 6.5x20x44. warne mounts. now I bought the components for another

wbee. I bought the components for a 257 build. Wilson barrel the rest wbee's

components. shoots fair needs work. just had a 7mmwbee built. put up this Friday

5-6-16. Hart barrel finished to 28" #7 contour, H&S tactical stock, wbee action and

outstanding trigger. will report. having built another 340 built on a rem. 721 LA action

timmey trigger. magnum box, H&S varmit stock, sako extractor, warne mounts

all steel, shilen #8 contour SS straight contour, finish to 30". I buy all the

conponents myself and my smithy Peter Pheifer Hempstead TX is outstanding.

will have in Dec. r wbee's perfect NO. the old wbee's I was told by smithy

due not need any machining.lightbulbgun)

Well boys, here are the results @ 800 yards. The paper is 23" wide by 17" long.

Aiming dead center at the paper, this is where the bullets hit. I would say that that is lethal on both moose and elk. Do you guys agree? I would say that this is a long range gun for sure now!

Based in the chronograph and gunsmith calculations I am getting 1,313.3 energy with the ABLR's @800 yards :D gun)

QK82EiDl.jpg

Well WildRose my new rifle will not be a range rifle and @ $5.00 a shell for the ABLR's, this rifle will be not getting shot much. I did purchase 4 boxes with the same lot number and expect that they will last me for 4 years.

My gunsmith already put 40 rounds through it, so he broke it in for me. Since a picture is worth 1000 words, this is the target @ 200 yards 1/2" group with two of the rounds touching.

I am going moose hunting in October where the GIANTS live. Hope to bag a 60" bull, that's how I will break her in.

lSSOxhBl.jpg
Very difficult to beat that. Congrats.

Aiming dead center at the paper, this is where the bullets hit. I would say that that is lethal on both moose and elk. Do you guys agree? I would say that this is a long range gun for sure now!

Based in the chronograph and gunsmith calculations I am getting 1,313.3 energy with the ABLR's @800 yards :D gun)

QK82EiDl.jpg
Put a nice orange dot in the center next time and I bet it tightens up even more.

Nice job.

morning, I stand corrected on the 215LRX. the bullet is a Barnes 210gr. TTSX.

my mistake!!lightbulbgun)corrected Feenix

Hello Guys,

Weatherby NOT the best out of the Box!

Well I have not been here for a while and wanted to give you a report on my Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag. It have been quite the ordeal and that is for SURE!

I sent my rifle to my gunsmith who specializes in setting up long range rifles, he also makes his own custom made long range rigs, Known as the Rocky Mountain Rifle. I wanted him to test it at long range (750) yards and to set up my Huskemaw Blue Diamond scope and to etch the turret and this is where all the fun began.

First he shot my rifle @ 200 yards and reported that the rifle was not shooting sub MOA with the bullets I want to shoot out of it, which are the Nosler Accubond ABLR 190 Gr. The rifle was shoot 1.5 MOA at best, which is not acceptable for a long range rifle. Weatherby only guarantees that the rifle will shoot 1.5 MOA or better so I was not surprised.

Second we decided to Glass bed and free float the barrel, hoping that this would achieve sub MOA. Next report after shooting it is that @ 200 yards the rifle was shooting 7" groups @ 200 yards ***???? Well we came to the same conclusion that was discussed with Wild Rose and that was that the barrel contour was too light to shoot the load I wanted, this in turn was creating a whipping effect that when free floated completely destroyed the rifle accuracy.

Third since my gunsmith makes his own brand of rifle we decided to replace the barrel with a 3 contour Wilson barrel which they fluted and ceracoated. Off to the range! Well I just got the report back from my gunsmith yesterday. @ 200 yards the rounds are now touching and @ 750 yards the rifle is shooting under 5" groups, hallelujah!

So now I am happy to say that I have a long range lightweight rifle. The weight with the Huskemaw Blue diamond 5-20x50 and ready to hunt is now 9 lbs. and it is shooting sub MOA with the Nosler Accubond ABLR 190 Gr. I selected the ABLR's because @ 800 yards I am maintaining 1400 FPE, making this rifle a true lightweight and hard hitting long range rifle that fits me like a glove. Cost for my new rifle with all the improvments and better barrel $3,000.00.

In the end, spending $3,000.00 dollars to have a rifle that shoots sub MOA and only weighs 9 lbs. isn't that bad I guess???

My advice to anyone that is thinking of buying a Weatherby Ultra Lightweight 300 Win Mag and expecting it to be a long range shooting, lightweight rifle Out Of The Box is NOT TO DO IT unless you are prepared to replace the barrel and spend the same on the modifications as you did on the rifle in the first place!

My factory Mark V in 7mm Wea. mag would consistently shoot under 1 MOA at 300 yds with factory 154grs. Had to replace the barrel after around 1500 rounds and rechambered to 7STW and a Krieger 1:9 barrel. Now it'll shoot 0.25 MOA with hunting bullets at 300 yds.

You've done well, KillerBee. Especially with a factory rifle and factory ammo. I'm envious. Congratulations and good shooting. Can't wait to see that pic of a dead moose!

QK82EiDl.jpg

My factory Mark V in 7mm Wea. mag would consistently shoot under 1 MOA at 300 yds with factory 154grs. Had to replace the barrel after around 1500 rounds and rechambered to 7STW and a Krieger 1:9 barrel. Now it'll shoot 0.25 MOA with hunting bullets at 300 yds.

Consider yourself fortunate! :) Which Mark V model is it?

Just went to the Weatherby website and noticed that the Mark V Ultra Lightweight MSRP is now $2,300.00 USD. Feeling way better now since I paid $1,450.00 CDN!

$2,300.00 USD is $2,977.35 CDN at todays rates!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts