Best rifel manufacturer for accuracy

brees2101

I have a Browning Stalker a-bolt. I've had it about 10 years. I probably haven't shot 10 boxes of shell through it since I bought it. Started bow hunting about the same time and have only uesd it on a few muel deer hunts.

It throws shots straight up, and will only hold a 2 inch group at 100 yards. My average shot is 300 yards. My zero is 200 yards and the shots are close to a 4" group. I called Browning and the guy was rude and said that I could ship it to them but a 2" group is within factory spec. Is there anything I can do?

Is there a manufacturer that will guarante a 1"group at 100 yards? I heard about a Howa. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I will never buy another browning.

What ammo are you using? How many types of ammo have you tried, and weights? Each rifle is unique, and likes its own particular load. What shoots good in my wife's X bolt, may shoot bad in your A bolt. Remington I've heard will say 4" at 100 yards is within spec, so dont think its just Browning. I would consider more research before condemning the gun. Scope mounting, or the scope itself can be to blame. More info would be great on specifics on the caliber, scope and mounts used, and loads!

I feel your pain. I just sold my Browning X-Bolt and bought a Savage 111. Actually made money on the deal and I now have a more accurate rifle. In all fairness to the rifle though, it shot well for me. I once shot a 1.5 inch group at 500 yards using factory Hornady 180gr SSts. Overall I was generally able to keep groups in the MOA range.

Last edited:
Let someone else shoot it. Us humans are not all that great holding a rifle against our shoulder as it rests atop something on a bench. The more recoil there is, the harder they are to shoot accurate. One's got to be very repeatable in how they shoulder the rifle, hold it and squeeze off a shot.

Have them watch you shoot, too. If you're flicking your trigger finger off the trigger the instant your shoot, you're probably moving the rifle while the bullet's going down the barrel. Keep your trigger finger pulled back until the rifle stops moving from recoil.

Note that your shooting abilities are added to the rifle and ammo's and their total is what your groups are. In well conducted test some years ago, a 30 caliber rifle that shoots 1/4 inch groups all day long when clamped in a free recoiling machine rest at 100 yards produced groups from 1 to 3 inches at 100 yards when shot by humans holding it at a bench with the rifle fore end resting on a bag.

I shoot groups at 100 yards holding my 30 calibers against my shoulder from 1 to 2 inches; they'll shoot under 1/3 inch from a machine rest at that range. Shooting prone slung up properly with the fore end resting on a bag, 100 yard groups are only a tiny bit bigger than what using a machine rest will do. Most folks shoot better from a good prone position.

i have never shot against a browning or a .270 in f-class. a pre garcia sako is a good one or a remington with a krieger barrel . guns last a long time

In addition to the above, be sure you've cleaned it excessively well. Any leftover copper or a carbon ring may affect your accuracy too.

I suspect that (assuming it's the rifle) the rifle could be made to shoot much better. It may take more time and effort, however, and you need to determine how much you want to put into that particular rifle.

Savages generally shoot well, and the Weatherby Vanguard S2 coming out in the next couple of weeks has a 1 inch guarantee. Tikka T3s have a good reputation but I have not owned or shot one of those.

Like others stated, that rifle may never be outstanding.

But, it also doesn't sound like you've given it much of a chance either.

It's not clear if you have one, but I don't like the BOSS system. Some swear by it. Some swear at it.

In any case, tuning your BOSS and trying ammo that's suited to your rifle. Will almost certainly produce better than 2" groups at 100yds.

You can try a bunch of ammo ($$$) or sell that rifle and buy something (factory, semi-custom, etc) that's likely to shoot well. Either way, ammo, scope, mounts, bench, rest, anything contacting the barrel, shooter/technique... all go into the equation.

I have a friend with a 300 Win Mag A-bolt. The stock is flimsy. I don't like the feel of the bolt. The BOSS seems hoakie. But, it shoots 1" 3-shot groups at 100yds with Winchester ammo. (After 3, it's hot and throws them all over)

Hope this helps,
richard

I have a Browning Stalker a-bolt. I've had it about 10 years. I probably haven't shot 10 boxes of shell through it since I bought it. Started bow hunting about the same time and have only uesd it on a few muel deer hunts.

It throws shots straight up, and will only hold a 2 inch group at 100 yards. My average shot is 300 yards. My zero is 200 yards and the shots are close to a 4" group. I called Browning and the guy was rude and said that I could ship it to them but a 2" group is within factory spec. Is there anything I can do?

Is there a manufacturer that will guarante a 1"group at 100 yards? I heard about a Howa. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Weatherby used to do that with their Vanguards a long time ago, but I think they are at 1.5" groups right now. I have one of the last ones that they did the 1" group deal, and it would easilly do that. Last I heard there are some savages that carry that warranty. Les Baer sells some rifles with a very low group size claimed, but you also pay thru the nose for them!

I would have that Browning rebedded by somebody that knows what they are doing
gary

you do not say what caliber or scope. i would sell it and get something else because if the cust service .

I would have the same questions regardless of rifle brand: 1) Have you cleaned it vigorously? 2) Is everything tight? 3) Are you positive it's not a scope malfunction? How many brands of ammo with how many bullet weights have you tried?
Once upon a time I had a gunsmith friend that had a buyer for a factory rifle if it would shoot one inch groups. He tinkered with all the details until he was about ready to give up. On the last trip to the range I had another brand of ammo, and as a whim brought it with. Result group size cut in half, group after group side by side.
Then of course you've had it ten years-that's reason enough for me to have the new rifle bug.

IIs there a manufacturer that will guarante a 1"group at 100 yards?

When I first started shooting highpower competition I was grumbling about the quality of my CMP M1 Garand. The shooter next to me at one practice match was an NRA Master who had a custom built match grade M1. He offered to switch rifles with me for the slow fire targets of that match. Neither of our scores changed noticably from the scores with our own rifles. I'm sure he knew what the result would be. I've since learned that for most people it takes around 1000 shots of careful practice to become an expert shooter. (expert is the grade below master) Some are faster and some never do learn.

For a new shooter to give up on a rifle after 100 shots says very little about the rifle's accuracy.

Last edited:

Hi Brees,

Have you got another rifle that you know is accurate? The reason I ask this is so you can check if it's you or the rifle, sometimes its the operator (not having a go at you by the way) at 200yds, it doesn't take much to make groups big.

I recently shot a group of about 3-4in at 200m - previously the rifle was shooting 1" groups at 100m - it's not uncommon for your groups to be a lot bigger at 200yds or more, hard to accept but it is the reality at times. See the slightest movement at 100 does make some difference to group sizes but at 200 the same movement is well and truly magnified.

Do you do any Handloading?

That can make a huge difference - especially seating depth, I did some experiments recently, where I seated some Nosler BT's at standard factory depth and they shot ok around 1" at 100yds then I decided to seat them right into the lands and just back them of about 1thou of the lands and the groups shrank to an average of .6" at 100yds! just by changing seating depth, so I wouldn't panic just yet, just try some of the things suggested above, also maybe get someone else to try your rifle out for you and see what the results are like.

If you are using factory ammo, definately try different brands - it's amazing how differrent brands can make or break group sizes, I recently did another little experiment where the only thing I changes was brands of cases (by accident I might add!) I'd been shooting great groups but a 2 groups had opened up a to about 1" and I thought thats a bit odd, maybe I pulled those last couple of shots? (I bag all my ammo into 5 shots per bag when doing testing so I can check for any problems with cases etc) apon inspection of cases I realised I had a couple of different brands mixed in with the Remington cases I'd suggest that was where the problem lies as both times it happend there were different brands of cases involved - that solved that little mistery.

When you do start to experiment dont go changing all sorts of things at once just do one thing at a time and test, its the only way you will know whats made the difference.

Good luck and don't give up until you work out exactly what it is.

LOUBOYD- too bad he was not shooting a sendero or a laredo . he would have had a better chance at least.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.