Number of grooves for best accuracy?

NorthernSniper

Does anybody have any opinions on the number of groves a barrel should have for best accuracy with a 300WSM? Thanks for any suggestions!

Usually most people get concerned with twist and bullet weight, not number of grooves, it'a nice to see an unusual question. But if your going with a custom barrel, it's nice to have both options, and I don't know till recently that number of grooves could be specified.

While I don't have the answer, I know a guy that's built up a rifle (sorry I don't remember the caliber) who indicated that because he was pushing the slug pretty darn fast, he had gone to a 3 groove barrel because it allowed him extra speed without the friction/heat build up of a 5 groove. He was claiming very good accuracy and felt that he'd get better barrel life. The discussion was more technical than that, but it's been a while.
I'd probably ask this question to a barrel maker for the best answer, but it will be interesting to follow this thread for an answer. There is another thread within the last year about grooves, you may want to read that information, though it didn't answer the question completely for me.

Number os grooves isn't as important as twist for bullet weight. Or barrel quality and person building it. For the most part I 2nd the 5r of 5c 11 twist, it will get you up to the 210's. I shoot a 5c 1:11 Broughton with 175's and would buy 10 more os his barrels if they shot as good as this one.

I agree the twist rate is more important than how many grooves. Saying that I do prefer the 3 and 4 groove .30 cal barrels from Lilja.They shoot great and if there is one advantage it may be a longer barrel life because of less erosion on the rifle lead or so they say. It is also said that the wider lands will foul less than the narrow ones because ther is half as many edges on a three groove as a six groove. On most high Quality barrels fouling is not an issue but if you are shooting all day in a dog town or competition it may be an advantage.

I have 3-4-5, and 6 groove barrels. The 3's seem to clean a little easier, and are faster. They claim that the 3's last longer, but I haven't shot out a barrel yet.

Frank D

I have heard some time ago that the 6 groove don't stand up as well but that was only 1 opinion. I probably will go with the 5R Mike Rock barrel but I have also heard rumblings that although the 5R type rifling does not foul as easily the rounded edges of the rifling don't bite into the bullet as well as the squared edge rifling. I will be shooting 200gr Accubonds at around 2900fps so I suspect the 1-10 twist would be best. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.