Best rifel manufacturer for accuracy

I have a friend with a 300 Win Mag A-bolt. The stock is flimsy. I don't like the feel of the bolt. The BOSS seems hoakie. But, it shoots 1" 3-shot groups at 100yds with Winchester ammo. (After 3, it's hot and throws them all over)
I've heard of this, but the Browning's tended to change point of impact when their barrel heated up more so that shooting all over the place. So I called Browning some years ago and asked them why they didn't charge an extra $20 per rifle to cover the cost of squaring up the receiver face with the tenon threads so the barrel would fit evenly all the way around. This prevents the high spot on the receiver face from pushing against the barrel at that point as the barrel expands from heat.

Their answer was they didn't want to do that; no explanation as to why not.

The tikka t-3 light carries a 1.5" guarantee which is good for the money. I have six and they all hold within .5" at 100 yards with proper loads. The Weatherby Mk5 accumark is extremely accurate in all the ones I have worked with and also the Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA. If the Sub MOA doesn't shoot they will give you another from the customer service I saw. All I have seen shot well under 1" at 100 yards. Most were .25 to .5 inches at 100 yards. I own about twenty wby's and they are all tack drivers. My son shot a 2.5" group at 650 yards with his Mk5 257 wby last year getting ready for an antelope hunt. Straight off the shelf Weatherby Mk5 synthetic in 257 Wby. I bedded it and freefloated the barrel.

LOU - sorry for the misunderstanding i meant the original poster Brees. my M-1 garand shoots real good off the bench . i put a 36x on it; .29 , .31 , .37. at 100. proved it can do it if i point it right

I strolled threw Sheels in GFalls last week, and I Know people are against them and dont know if it is consider factor or custom. But there where 1/2 dozen Coopers in the store with there itty bitty test groups next to them, the ones in varmit type calibers, some where one hole, ALL where cloverleafs, they where beatiful wood work and hard not to admire.

LOU - sorry for the misunderstanding i meant the original poster Brees. my M-1 garand shoots real good off the bench . i put a 36x on it; .29 , .31 , .37. at 100. proved it can do it if i point it right

My point was that a new shooter with a new (to them) rifle is likely to blame the rifle and be in denial about their own shooting skills. Rifles may get blamed for ammo which isn't right for the rifle. A Browning A-Bolt isn't a benchrest rifle, but the ones I've had experience with aren't nearly as bad as the results the OP was describing.

There is a problem with Internet shooting diagnostics. Everyone can guess what the problem might be, but even an expert needs to shoot a rifle (or observe someone else shooting it) to know what the problem really is.

On this site (and others) some people seem to think they can buy a rifle by reputation or manufacturer's claims and it will guarantee they'll achive good long range accuracy. It just doesn't work that way. Many manufacterers will guarantee sub-moa at 100 yards. But thats with one of their staff doing the shooting and not in windy conditions. Some provide test tagets to prove the rifle is capable, but what does one 3 or 5 shot group really mean to a hunter? To think that any manufacturer will guarantee sub-moa accuracy in the hands of any shooter in any condititions is silly.

Shooting sub-noa at 100 yards is not the same as shooting sub-moa at 500 to 1000 yards. Practice shooting at 100 yards is not the same as practice at 500 to 1000 yards either. The differences include doping wind, determining ammo characteristics, and a more thorough understanding basic ballistics.

Last edited:
What ammo are you using? How many types of ammo have you tried, and weights? Each rifle is unique, and likes its own particular load. What shoots good in my wife's X bolt, may shoot bad in your A bolt. Remington I've heard will say 4" at 100 yards is within spec, so dont think its just Browning. I would consider more research before condemning the gun. Scope mounting, or the scope itself can be to blame. More info would be great on specifics on the caliber, scope and mounts used, and loads!

I'll ask about the scope. I shoot regular Remington 180g pointed soft point bullets. I have a Leupold III 55mm scope. It used to shoot great. I will call the gun shop tomorrow and ask about the scope and the mounts. I know they checked them because I asked when he gave me the news that he couldn't get it to shoot a good group.

I'll ask about the scope. I shoot regular Remington 180g pointed soft point bullets. I have a Leupold III 55mm scope. It used to shoot great. I will call the gun shop tomorrow and ask about the scope and the mounts. I know they checked them because I asked when he gave me the news that he couldn't get it to shoot a good group.

Definately some wrong if both of you can't get it to shoot! now the fun part begins trying to work out exactly what it is!

Good luck mate and keep us informed of the outcome if you would.

Scott

Judging by the bullet weight, its most likely a 30 cal of some kind? '06, 308, 300 win, or 300wsm? By your comment, this gun shot good at one time but now all the sudden doesnt. That indicates a physical change has taken place. Make a list of what was done since the last time it shot good, and then go by elimination. Did you loctite the scope mounting screws? It is possible the scope is bad inside as well. Do you remove the bolt and run the cleaning rod from the breech in, or from the muzzle in? If from the muzzle, you may have damaged the crown, and that could be the whole problem. Do you run a copper removing agent thru the barrel, or just the standard solvent when you clean it? If everything checks out, I would get a boresighter(not the laser toys), and look at where the scope lines up on the grid, while at the range. REMOVE the arbor and sighter, and shoot a round, and recheck it. See if the crosshairs are maintaining their exact position. If they arent, scope mounting, or scope is the issue. More info from beginning to end would be helpful to figure out whats wrong.:D

Each rifle is unique, and likes its own particular load.
While this is often stated by many folks, there are others who disagree with it, including me.

People who shoot 20 to 30 shots in a row to see how accurate their rifles are and do better than others tend to know that they all will shoot some makes/types of ammo or a given handload very accurate in all of them. When folks shoot a few 3 to 5 shot groups then average them, or even just one 5-shot group, the chances of the result being representative of what the rifle + ammo accuracy is ain't better than about 50%. And most people (including me) add a half MOA (or more) to what the rifle and ammo's capable of 'cause they don't shoot all that well from a bench.

Take a good lot of Lake City Arsenal match ammo with metered powder charges with 3/10ths grain spread, new cases holding a bullet with up to 4 or 5 thousandths runout, bullets with the equivalent quality of decent hunting bullets fired through different makes of barrels with different bore/groove diameters, twists from 1:10 to 1:12, length at 22 or 24 inches leaving with a 40 fps spread averaging somewhere between 2500 and 2650 fps. That ammo will shoot 1/2 MOA at 100 yards and 1.5 MOA at 600 yards. And good lots of commercial match ammo shot in the same rifles will shoot 20 to 40 percent better.

I've no intention of bursting ones bubble, but this is the reality of accuracy in rifles. The biggest contributor to big groups is us humans. I do not shoot very accurate from a bench holding a rifle with more than 5 foot-pounds of recoil. Most people don't either. So I think most of us (including me) are measuring our few-shot test groups fired from rifles held against our shoulders as they rest on something atop a bench are using a rubber ruler to measure with. The results are stretched all over the place.

Last edited:
Judging by the bullet weight, its most likely a 30 cal of some kind? '06, 308, 300 win, or 300wsm? By your comment, this gun shot good at one time but now all the sudden doesnt. That indicates a physical change has taken place. Make a list of what was done since the last time it shot good, and then go by elimination. Did you loctite the scope mounting screws? It is possible the scope is bad inside as well. Do you remove the bolt and run the cleaning rod from the breech in, or from the muzzle in? If from the muzzle, you may have damaged the crown, and that could be the whole problem. Do you run a copper removing agent thru the barrel, or just the standard solvent when you clean it? If everything checks out, I would get a boresighter(not the laser toys), and look at where the scope lines up on the grid, while at the range. REMOVE the arbor and sighter, and shoot a round, and recheck it. See if the crosshairs are maintaining their exact position. If they arent, scope mounting, or scope is the issue. More info from beginning to end would be helpful to figure out whats wrong.:D

One of the big issues is a lot of you guys have more gun knowledge than I do. Half of the questions I am being asked I have no clue what you are talking about. I will try the bore sighter when I pick it up.

I would get a boresighter(not the laser toys), and look at where the scope lines up on the grid, while at the range. REMOVE the arbor and sighter, and shoot a round, and recheck it. See if the crosshairs are maintaining their exact position. If they arent, scope mounting, or scope is the issue.
I would be concerned about introducing new variables. How accurate/repeatable is the specific bore sighter that you're about to purchase?

Can you install/remove/reinstall and check 10 times and get the exact same reading without even firing? I seriously doubt it.

A good shooter/smith will be better prepared to troubleshoot the rifle than a novice with cheap tools.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.